Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: When you feel n* do you....

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lie on your back

11 16.92%
  • Lie on one side

6 9.23%
  • Lie on your stomach

4 6.15%
  • Sit up

17 26.15%
  • Walk around

27 41.54%

When I'm very n*, I have to lie on my back, very still...just wondering what position others take!

Hi there!

I always have to lie on my side, kind of curled up with the blankets. I'm usually a stomach sleeper and hate laying on my side but for some strange reason I feel less n* that way.

I walk around when I feel nauseated. I cannot whatsoever lay down. For some unknown reason, I feel worse when I'm still as opposed to being active and moving. Edited by: chemicalemotion

Well I'm weird when it comes to nausea. Back when I lived with my parents and I felt nauseous I would pace the house at night, but this ultimately woke my parents up and I got yelled at and sent to my room. Now when I feel nauseous I can't lay down AT ALL. I have to sit up with my knees pressed against my chest and my arms around my knees. I don't know why that helps but it makes me feel better, I usually can't do anything other then sit there curled up like that and rock. ALso I have to be ALONE when I feel nauseous I can't STAND other people being around me and talking to me.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I always have to be sitting up. Usually playing on the computer to dstract me from the N*

I pace around my house & breathe very heavily in and out and in and out. I know this will sound weird, but..i also hold my hand pressed very hard against my mouth. lol

I have to be sitting up, or walking around. I can't lay down, it makes me feel more n*.

well i'll do a couple things. i will either in this order

1. walk around

2. get some water

3. sit up

4. (this is silly) act like im packin a can of chew.

some of them are weird (mainly the last one) but it sometimes calms me down. or i'll play video games if im feeling up 2 it

visit me here
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do a mixure of things, too. I'm usuallysomewhere between sitting up and lying down so my stomach's stretched out abit, but I'm not just flat on my back... I get up every now and again to walk around, and to go onto my balcony for fresh air. If I get up then I have to rub my tummy clockwise, and I avoid touching my mouth because it reminds me of when other people are just about to throw up, and they grab their mouths *shudder* I find it hard to think about when I'm sick.

I walk around and ring my hands or punch my thigh (not hard enough to cause bruises unless it is a very close v*ing call). I think it is just something I have developed as a response to the feelings of a panic attack. Hitting my thigh distracts me from the sensation of being nauseas. Also I like ice cold air on my face.

I have to be pacing around. Then eventually I can sit. But if I'm EXTREMELY n* I sit down on my toilet.

Usually I have to lie, very still down immediately on my side on my couch (bedroom feels to isolated) and distract myself with something like tv and my best friend on the phone (can't be alone, or feel alone) this is almost always coupled with a panic attack requiring blankets to stop shivering/shaking. On previous occasions I have camped out on the bathroom floor if it's close.

This is such an interesting question because the choice of answers does not include the thing most non-emets do when they get nauseated...
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

get up and watch tv or play on the computer

drink some mint tea

take a anti emetic

take a hot bath

if a wave hits me....i have to go out side....even in 0 degree weather

I go outside too sometimes. I find that it can really help.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1
    This is such an interesting question because the choice of answers does not include the thing most non-emets do when they get nauseated...

What is that?

I lay on my side perfectly still and only think about breathing.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I guessing he means standing in front of the toilet....

I myself stand up and take deep breaths and I gotta walk around and do something.

I tend to walk in circles. ...For hours at a time, if necessary. I
    spent an entire night pacing once-- there were visible marks on the
    carpet, LOL.

i usually walk around but whatever i do i have to be at least sitting up.