Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: medical school.

Hey, I just found this site.
    I had no idea so many people shared my problem. I have never v'ed as
    far as I know (maybe when I was a baby). And I think that's why I'm so
    terrified of it. I don't want to get pregnant, and I get freaked out
    while on planes or long car rides when there are other people in the
    car because there's always the remote chance they may 'be sick'.

here's the thing, I really want to get into medical school (or atleast
    nursing). Blood and guts don't bother me AT ALL, but I know I need to
    get over my emetophobia before I can take this step. I'm even scared of
    taking the anatomy class because someone else might 'be sick'.
    What should I do? I don't want to give up my dream...</font>

Hi, and welcome!

I'm in the same boat as you! Although, military life wasn't necessarily my dream, but a priority for me if I intend to better myself. V* is affiliated with any medical career, and there is no point in arguing against avoiding it.Don't be discouraged if the dice aren't in your favor;giving up the passion of your future and molding it around this mundane phobia will get you no where but in the slums. Simply take that first step... (easier said than done! =P)

Good luck!Edited by: chemicalemotion

Hi there!!

Welcome to the site!!
    There's alot of advice on here and alot of great people, so you're definitely in the right place.
    Chemicalemotion is right---you shouldn't give up the career of your dreams because of this phobia. There are quite a few people on here in professions that expose them to v* (myself included!!) and although most of us have a difficult time handling those "emet" moments we don't give in or give up. It's rough at times, but I adore my job and won't let it go for anything. If I can do it, anyone can!!
    There's a really wonderful Treatments forum on here too, with a lot of great advice and tips---definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.
    Don't give up or get so down on yourself so quickly--there is most definitely hope and help out there for you.
    Good luck to you!!

Hey I am a nurse at a children's hospital and I see V* everyday so u can do it. The more you are exposed to it you kind of get used to it( kind of). pm me if you have any questions

Jamie

Welcome![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

IM EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. i havent vomited EVER and i am also going into the nursing field. my clinicals start next semester and i am terrified of seeing v* in the workfield. i am hoping that maybe i can bypass the whole v* think by chance. im working to work with babies and spit up doesnt bother me, so maybe ill just get lucky and wont have to deal with it too much.

my family and boyfriend think i dont have what it takes ( cause of this phobia) to become a nurse, that right there makes me want to prove them wrong.

you shouldnt let the phobia rule your life..

besides, when someone v* in the hospital setting, its not the nurses that clean it up, thats what they have janitors for right? so hopefully, somehow and gracefully, if the event occurs, you can excuse yourself politly.

thats what i like to think anyway...

good luck and welcome =)

sorry but no the nurses do have to clean the patient up. the janitors just get it off the floor after you have wiped it up. there is a big chance that you will see someone vomit in clinicals( sorry) but if you have the desire to be a nurse your nursing instinct will kick in and you will not even think about it you will just help them. yes it is disgusting at times but you just suck it up and do it. I thought the same thing when I started nursing school I thought I would just work in NICU and I would be fine but I got over it and I work in peds of all places. you will find out in the first year of nursing school if you are made for nursing and everyone is not and thats ok.

way to burst my bubble... lol

Hi Tape,

Welcome to the site. I have been completely successfully treated for this phobia, and I worked for 3 years as a chaplain in the hospital (first, as part of my treatment and then I stayed for several years). It's totally fine. And I ALWAYS put myself in "harm's way" so to speak - on purpose. You can do this! But you need to put as much effort, energy, and money into your treatment as into your education.

There is good info at the top of the Treatments section about how to get treated.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sorry didnt mean to but just wanted to warn you before hand. you can do it though!!!