Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So, you know how every1 says it's only like 5 seconds??? It's hard for me to believe that. I've NEVER witnessed anyone v* for less than 5 minutes before. I know a girl who v* in my class (on my desk...) in 3rd grade and she didn't stop, and when she eventually left for the nurse w/ the garbage can she still kept going. And she kept going when she came back upstairs for her backpack and stuff.

Then someone v* in my science class last year... and they were v* ing LARGE volumes... and it was like, for at least 5 minutes, AT LEAST

i really wish you didn't say that. lol Now I'm worrying even more. Then why does everyone say its for like 5 seconds. grr. & that makes me remember a memory of my 2nd grade class. A boy v* non stop & he sat right next to me & it went allover him & the chair & the floor. ughh.

i think they mean actual heaves... you know. each one being 5 seconds long- while the stuff is actually removing itself from the body. i don't think they mean the instance of being sick.
    \"This too shall pass\"

5 minutes?![img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

OMG!

Man, the only time I have ever vomitted for something as long as 5 minutes was when I had alcohol poisoning, and it lasted over 10 hours.

I am an emet- but I only fear others being sick. I actually have a very weak stomach and vomit a few times a year- not from a stomach virus of any sort, mostly due to isolated incidents of just not feeling well, vomitting, and then feeling better almost immediately.

I would say that the longest any vomitting 'incident' lasted was about 30 seconds- and that is AT MOST. Usually, it is about 10 seconds of heaving, and then it's done.

The only time I have ever vomitted non-stop for longer than that was due to alcohol- or perhaps when I had viruses as a kid. But if it did happen, I don't really remember.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know when one of my sisters vomits it takes AGES, longer than I've ever known anyone else to do it... *This may be graphic* but she sticks her tongue out and it just kinda shovels out lol rather thanhaving huge heaves.

Weird ay! I don't think most people do it like that though...

Five minutes! How would you do that without suffocating?![img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

I'm sorry if I scared anyone. I just don't see how someone could v* for so long... and they weren't dry heaving or anything, the whole time they were actually bringing stuff up

You didn't scare me... Just suprised me lol

When my sister had a virus years ago, I think it took less than a minute. It might have been even shorter than that, since being nervous makes time drag.

less than a minute..ok now that makes me feel better.lol 5 minutes i would not be able to take. A minute is still bad but not as bad.

OK good, cuz I really didn't wanna scare anyone. I think this also helped spark my emets.... seeing ppl v* large volumes for such a LONG period of time. and both of them were crying when it happened, by the way... well mostly cuz it was in public, I bet.

Hi there!!

I agree that it does seem that when people v* it seems to go on and on, but I'm sure it's not like that at all.
    I think that when people actually v* it's really not that long, but to us emets it seems like it just goes on forever and ever. I know my mind does this to me---the last time I saw someone v* it seemed like it was nonstop for 10 minutes, but I'm sure in reality it wasn't even near that.
    When I'm in a situation where someone is v*ing time nearly stops and it's almost like slow motion---totally horrible!
    I think that because we fear it so much and look at it like such an awful thing our mind sort of tricks us into thinking it's much worse and goes on much longer than it really does.
    Hopefully this makes sense, but maybe not!!

Geez is it even possible to actually v* for 5-10 min straight? I think you'd pass out from lack of air wouldn't you?

Yeah, I agree. It probably seems like longer to us emets because were so scared of it.

I'm pretty sure it was really for 5 minutes. Cuz what happened was, last year, we were in class doing work. It was a worksheet on like... rocks or something. So of course, the classroom was noisy. Then all of a sudden I heard some girls in the back of the room scream really loud. And my friend and I kinda just shrugged it off as "oh, they're always like that, screaming about nothing" . Then like, what seemed like forever later the teacher got our attention, and it turns out they were screaming (and kept screaming) cuz the guy in the back of the room was v*ing right by them!!! [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]and it just kept going, everyone was screaming and plugging their ears. Then it took forever for every1 to evacuate the classroom, because everyone just crowded around the door, pushing and shoving to get out. It was horrible

When I vomit, it always less than 10 seconds. I mean I go in 3 or 4 rounds, but the one round lasts about 7 seconds.
    You only live once

It is not physically possible to vomit for more than a few seconds at a time:

1. when you v*, the epiglottis in the back of the throat closes to protect your airway from becoming filled with v*. This is why your brain triggers you to take a deep breath right before you heave. it allows you to have enough oxygen to last 10-20 seconds and also to raise the diaphram muscle and move the stomach into proper v*ing position.

2. The human stomach can only hold about 1 liter of liquid or solid food at one time and it usually only takes about 2-3 good heaves to empty a full stomach. (a breath is taken inbetween each heave so that would not be considered one v*. how ever many times you heave, thats how many times you actually v*)

3. If someone could v* for 5 minutes straight without breathing and do it for that long with just one heave, first of all they would probably pass out after 2 minutes because the average person can only hold their breath for 1 minute to 1.5 minutes. Also, they would have to have a stomach the size of 5 gallon bucket.

4. The time it takes to v* just oncefrom beginning to end is at most 10 seconds. You take a breath, heave, v* comes out and you are done. If it persists immediately, you will take another breath and heave again.

I hope this makes sense to everyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary

1. when you v*, the epiglottis in the back of the throat closes to protect your airway from becoming filled with v*. This is why your brain triggers you to take a deep breath right before you heave. it allows you to have enough oxygen to last 10-20 seconds and also to raise the diaphram muscle and move the stomach into proper v*ing position.

2. The human stomach can only hold about 1 liter of liquid or solid food at one time and it usually only takes about 2-3 good heaves to empty a full stomach. (a breath is taken inbetween each heave so that would not be considered one v*. how ever many times you heave, thats how many times you actually v*)

3. If someone could v* for 5 minutes straight without breathing and do it for that long with just one heave, first of all they would probably pass out after 2 minutes because the average person can only hold their breath for 1 minute to 1.5 minutes. Also, they would have to have a stomach the size of 5 gallon bucket.

4. The time it takes to v* just oncefrom beginning to end is at most 10 seconds. You take a breath, heave, v* comes out and you are done. If it persists immediately, you will take another breath and heave again.

Thank you so much for that!! I like posts like this muc hbetter than the original, which I think freaks a lot of emets out!

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Um, yes I was thinking the same thing.....some people have to remember that some people are MORE sensitive than others....a lot of people were freaked out by the original post. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]try to be more careful with your words....some people are real sensitive. Thanks.
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

I'm sorry you guys... [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

by the way, if it makes you feel any better, the person who did it and seemed to do it for a long time was - pardon my rudeness - extremely overweight. Does having a huge stomach have anything to do w/ it?

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary

Thanks for that post, yea I pretty much figured it was literally impossible to v* for 5 minutes straight as you'd pass out long before you stopped.

I can understand tho how it could seem like 5 minutes, especially to us emets. By the way where did you get the info? Just curious, it sounds right to me.

Actually its good to know our bodies automatically know what to do to keep us from passing out or inhaling v*.
    Edited by: Galadriel