Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: OUCH: Braces!!

Well, my 15-yr-old daughter just got braces put on her teeth yesterday and is in quite a bit of pain! We went to WalMart and got her a baby teething ring (a Godsend!!), somme Orajel, and an electric toothbrush and stuff.

I had braces when I was 14, and don't remember what I did for the pain, except bite on a washcloth.

She will need to have them adjusted about every 6 weeks or so--does anyone have any good remedies for the pain? Any advice would be appreciated---thanks!![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Oh poor thing! I had braces about 5 years ago, and I found getting an ice cream each time after I got them tightened helped me heaps. Not so much for the pain... It was just so yum that it took my mind off it lol.

But in terms of something that would actually help, I think taking normal headache tablets can make it alot more bearable... And rubbing my gums helped me, too. The straighter her teeth get, the less it will hurt... But in the meantime foods that you don't have to chew like soup and smoothies are good to avoid pain. And is orajel for mouth ulcers? Because getting something for those is a good idea, too. In Australia it's called Bonjela (sp?).Ulcers are the worst! My mouth still isn't completely healed from all the ulcers braces gave me... I can still feel the scars lol

Apart from that I think I just put up withthe painfrom memory.

I really feel for your daughter- braces are awful! I hope she's going ok with them. Oh, make sure she always carries around a compact mirror with her to avoid the 'green stuff caught in the braces' thing. lol

Kayla

have her take tylenol..it helps the pain.

Thanks you guys!! I will give her some Tylenol before bed tonight. The ice cream idea is great!! We will do that--thanks!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

haha, I've had my braces for almost three months now. When I got them on, I got top and bottom braces, plus, a jaw expander, so I did a lot for pain. Uhm, just I did the regular thing the ortho told me, take Advil, it's the best pain medicine for your teeth.

Also, I also avoided as much hard foods as I can, because the more she chews on that, the more pain she will experience, and the pain will last longer. I mainly ate applesauce, and jello. Also, every morning, my mom mixed some breakfast mix into milk to get proper nutrients.

Since you also for the first couple of days have pains with cold drinks, I would use a straw also to stop the sensitivity the teeth are going through, but I promise, she will get used to it.

How long does she have to have them on for?

Quote Originally Posted by pawn shop heart

haha, I've had my braces for almost three months now. When I got them on, I got top and bottom braces, plus, a jaw expander, so I did a lot for pain. Uhm, just I did the regular thing the ortho told me, take Advil, it's the best pain medicine for your teeth.

Also, I also avoided as much hard foods as I can, because the more she chews on that, the more pain she will experience, and the pain will last longer. I mainly ate applesauce, and jello. Also, every morning, my mom mixed some breakfast mix into milk to get proper nutrients.

Since you also for the first couple of days have pains with cold drinks, I would use a straw also to stop the sensitivity the teeth are going through, but I promise, she will get used to it.

How long does she have to have them on for?

She needs them for 18 to 24 months. The straw is a good idea--she is using them now She's pretty miuch much been eating spaghettio's since yesterday!! Poor thing

I hope yours feel ok now---thanks for your help all of you.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Hey california girl,

I have had fixed braces on ym top and bottom teeth for about 2 years now so I can offer loads of advice! For pain relief I just used to take ibuprofen, there's really not a lot else you can do for the pain and it does seem like taking a lot of tablets everytime you get it tightened but it is worth it! My dentist also gives me little tubs of wax which i can press on to any bits rubbing my mouth to ease the friction, this is really good. As for food, for the first few days after mine is tightened i tend to eat soup, bananas, weetabix, pasta and yoghurts. I still can't eat some foods like steak or apples because they just get stuck lol! I think all you can do is be patient with her and don't get mad if she can't eat the same food you are - braces suck lol! Is she worried about how they look? I hated my smile for months after I got mine but they are so so worth it! Hope she's ok x
    *katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eck, that sounds awful. I'm getting braces soon and I'm really nervous. Did she feel nauseous at all from them? I hope she feels better soon. My friend ate luke-warm chicken noodle soup when she got her braces tightened. Haha, I wouldn't recommend that though. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]I thought it was kinda gross.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Hey new.slang,

Dont worry, i never felt nauseous from pain off my braces. I think that would only happen from pain, so keep stocked up on paracetamol! Good luck!

*katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks missminty! That's really the only thing I was too worried about. *sigh* I can relax a little now.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I had braces for six years, so i definitely know about the pain! Take the maximum amount of tylenol. Try not to eat anything like pizza, do stuff that you can drink or sort of mush up, at least for the beginning.

good luck!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

aww I hope she feels better soon! I had braces from age 10 - 12 and I know it definitely wasn't that great. For the pain, have her take some Motrin. Tell her it'll get better in a few days, she just needs to give it some time. I know it's hard to eat w/ braces for the first few days, mostly because it just feels so unusual, with all the metal in your mouth. It's very strange. If she wants to talk w/ me, tell her to e-mail me at [email protected] I'm the same age as her [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

When I had braces I used to spray that sore throat spray on my gums. If she gets sores in her mouth from the braces ask the doctor for some wax sticks that she can put the spots that are causing irritation.

I'm sorry this is sooo random, but what's the sore throat spray called and where do you find it?! I've heard soo much about it, but I never knew where to get it, since I get frequent sore throats.... also does it work w/ severe sore throats, as in the ones you get w/ throat viruses? I'm just getting over one I picked up last week, and the pain was HELL

Thank you EVERYONE for your advice--you all are sooooooo nice!!!!!!!!! Brittani says thank you too![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

MISSMINTY~~ Yeh, she's been eating slightly different stuff than us for meals, poor thing. She says they feel so weird, she is getting used to them now, but it's still strange for her.

NEW.SLANG~~ She's had no n* at all, from neither the pain or the Tylenol, so that's good!

XXSOPHIAXX~~ Thanks hun, I gave her your email address--do you have a MYSPACE? Also, the sore throat spray is CHLORASEPTIC, CEPACOL, or store brand, and they work GREAT for sore throats! Very soothing!

ZANE2673~~ OMG--Thank you sooooooo much for the sore throat spray advice! I never even thought of it, and it's a perfect idea
    ~*~Charlene~*~

The sore throat spray is made by Vicks and Cephaol (sp), you can find it in the cough drop section.

thanx for the throat spray info [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]ne1 know how well it works?

by the way, californiagirl, my myspace is www.myspace.com/sg1991 , tell her to add me

also, i never remembered being n* from braces, I didn't think it was possible [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

I just wanted to share a pic of my daughter with her new braces......

[img]uploads/images/californiagirl/Britt_Braces_2006.jpg[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Your daughter is beautiful californiagirl, she look just like you

xxMar

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by irishchick
    Your daughter is beautiful californiagirl, she look just like you

xxMar

AWW--Thank you!! My daughter thanks you too! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

aww how cute! by the way, I added her on MySpace [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by xxsophiaxx
    aww how cute! by the way, I added her on MySpace [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Oh good!I hope you two communicate with each other alot! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]I hope we will too. I don't check my myspace too often, but she's free to IM me anytime she wants. I have all my screen names listed in my profile.