Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I have two little ones and they use to get the sv a lot. Then we started having them wear gloves when we went grocery shopping or the playground and it has helped. I think with gloves and Purell it is hard for their hands to pick up those nasty germs. Just some info.

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I love this site! To find others experiencing similar situations! I am constantly worrying/living in fear that my dgtr is going to get a sv* during the night. It has happened 2 years in a row at the same time of month. I panic when thinking of cleaning v* out of the carpet. I'm scared for her to go to school that she will catch sv*. She tells me she washes her hands after the bathroom and uses gel or wipes before lunch and snacktime. I am just miserable from being consumed with worry[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]. I don't remember sv* being so prevalent 25 to 30 years ago. Arrrggh!!!! What do other emet parents do about this? I have been an emet since age 5 when I saw a boy v at church and the teacher said he had a bug in his stomach. I cried and cried. And I would get scared and cry when I v*. I keep hearing a bad sv is going around the city!![img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

That's a great idea if they don't mind. I know my son went throug a phase of wearing gloves, for his own reasons - what ever they were at age 3. I didn't mind a bit. Then, he went to wearing just one - kind of a Michael Jackson thing. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Now that he's 5, I don't think he'll do it any more.

If it helps, my kids haven't brought home a stomach bug yet that I attribute to school. McDonald's play land - yes. My kids have even had kids v* in their classrooms and have been okay. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

The thing I worry about is that I don't think schools realize the kids need to wash their hands. Our school has Germ-X everywhere, but that's not going to cut it when it comes to sv*. I want to tell the teachers, but I don't want them to think I'm a weirdo -- you know how most people don't get emets!
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by worrygirl

I love this site! To find others experiencing similar situations! I am constantly worrying/living in fear that my dgtr is going to get a sv* during the night. It has happened 2 years in a row at the same time of month. I panic when thinking of cleaning v* out of the carpet. I'm scared for her to go to school that she will catch sv*. She tells me she washes her hands after the bathroom and uses gel or wipes before lunch and snacktime. I am just miserable from being consumed with worry[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]. I don't remember sv* being so prevalent 25 to 30 years ago. Arrrggh!!!! What do other emet parents do about this? I have been an emet since age 5 when I saw a boy v at church and the teacher said he had a bug in his stomach. I cried and cried. And I would get scared and cry when I v*. I keep hearing a bad sv is going around the city!![img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

I totally agree!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by turtleiam

That's a great idea if they don't mind. I know my son went throug a phase of wearing gloves, for his own reasons - what ever they were at age 3. I didn't mind a bit. Then, he went to wearing just one - kind of a Michael Jackson thing. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Now that he's 5, I don't think he'll do it any more.

If it helps, my kids haven't brought home a stomach bug yet that I attribute to school. McDonald's play land - yes. My kids have even had kids v* in their classrooms and have been okay. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

The thing I worry about is that I don't think schools realize the kids need to wash their hands. Our school has Germ-X everywhere, but that's not going to cut it when it comes to sv*. I want to tell the teachers, but I don't want them to think I'm a weirdo -- you know how most people don't get emets!

Oh dear, I personally think that this is an awful idea. Getting tummy bugs is a natural part of childhood. Unpleasent, but natural all the same. I feel like this could manifest itself in children as germs=bad. And I think a few people on here chalk a germaphobic mother up to the reason why they suffer this phobia. Also, anti-bacterial hand sanitizer won't help with a stomach virus. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Just another one of my big opinions.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I avoid McDonalds playland and Chuck E Cheese like the plague!! I don't want to say anything to the teachers either for fear of being deemed a weirdo. People just don't understand emets. When I do share my fear of my daughter becoming sick (ie my mom, husband), it's always "you just can't worry about it, kids get sick." I'll take anything but v*!! I don't obsess about her getting a cold or strep, just sv*.

Hi there!!

I despise McDonalds Playland and avoid it at all costs, but I do go to Chuck E Cheese. My son loves that place, so when we do go I make sure it's an "off" time and not a school holiday or nightime or weekend. Usually then there's not a hundred birthday parties going on so it's not quite as bad. I just make sure me and my son wash ALOT!!!
    As far as sv*s go, now that my son is 9 I don't worry quite as much as I did when he was smaller. I mean, I still fear it and dread those awful words "My tummy hurts!!!", but it does seems to get a bit easier as they get older.
    Still, I'd also rather take ANYTHING over a sv*!!! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

I am glad my dtr is too at the age where she will say her tummy hurts. That way I can prepare. It's the unexpected 3 AM v* that I dread (which seems to be be a pattern last year and the year before)! Does it seem like sv is more common now than it was several years ago? Does anyone fear having a child over to spend the night and that child becoming ill during the middle of the night or is that just an anxiety of mine??

Quote Originally Posted by worrygirl
    Does anyone fear having a child over to spend the night and that child becoming ill during the middle of the night or is that just an anxiety of mine??

My daughter is now 7, and is after me to let her friend stay over. I really like the girl, and think they would have a great time. I am, however, really worried. My partner is very understanding of my emet, so we are trying to plan it on a night that she will be off from work that night and the following day...just in case. Keep your fingers crossed for me :~)
    Be Here Now

I don't think the gloves are a good idea. They don't do any good if the kids are still putting their hands in their mouths, because the gloves are still getting dirty. Also, it's not like Purell kills sv*

Quote Originally Posted by new.slang
    Oh dear, I personally think that this is an awful
    idea. Getting tummy bugs is a natural part of childhood.
    Unpleasent, but natural all the same. I feel like this could
    manifest itself in children as germs=bad. And I think a few
    people on here chalk a germaphobic mother up to the reason why they
    suffer this phobia. Also, anti-bacterial hand sanitizer won't
    help with a stomach virus. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Just another one of my big opinions.

I dont think it is totally necessary for kids to get sick all the
    time...colds, and flus thats fine then they can build immunity...but
    svs dont have immunity...so whats the point? Alvin said it doesnt makes
    you "stronger". If you can prevent your kids from getting every little
    thing, then i think its good...but making them not sick ever can be a
    problem...but a little is okay, its alot that we should worry about

I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, you get no immunity against sv due to there being millions (seems like)of strains of it. That's why they cannot develop a vaccine against it. It's just a messy inconvenience!!

Yeah- I agree with new.slang- I also don't think gloves are a good idea. And sanitizers like purell also aren't effective against noroviruses.

I can understand the fear- I really do. But the fear is yours, and you don't want them to end up with it as well, because you know how hard it can be. By all means- clean the house like crazy, and take every precaution to avoid being sick yourself, but when it comes to the kids, let them be 'normal'.

Making your kids do something like this can make them start to become paranoid as well, as they know they are doing something that sets them apart from the other kids. They can also start viewing germs and being sick as so bad/horrible that they need to take extraordinary precautions to avoid it.

Also, them wearing gloves and relying on purell can actually make it worse when they are sick, because they aren't able to built up their immune system. Your body needs to "learn" how to fight illness/harmful bacteria- this happens through exposure. If they aren't being exposed to bacteria, then their body won't know what to do when it doescome in contact with it. This is why antibacterial products are now being linked with things like worsening allergies and asthma.

As for viruses (edited to add: I mean noroviruses in particular)- you don't develop an immunity to them because they constantly alter their makeup- but they do help build your immune system, because like I previously mentioned, your body "learns" how to fight off illness. This is why a lot of kids are sick when they are younger and first enter school- but then it tapers off as they get older and their immune systemgets fortified.

I know having a sick kid is probably the scariest thing for a parent- especially when you have this phobia. I know that, that is what I am dreading the most. But, I think to a certain point we have to suck it up so our kids don't end up with the same fear.

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

laura78, I think that if that helps go for it!! It will not make your kids emet. I try to prevent the sv* at all costs. My kids make fun of all the precautions that I take but they follow all of them cause they know it makes me feel better. Neither one of my children are emets and they are 6 and 10. I believe your precautions are very helpful if it keeps the yuckys away. Good for you!

you DO develop immunity to viruses. It's just that w/ norovirus, there are SOOO many different ones that it's impossible to become immune to them all. same goes w/ colds, flus, ANY virus.

My dtr has no idea of my emet. She is 6 and has always been very brave when she has had sv. Never cried once. Except for the tummy pains. I am constantly wiping everything down at home and in the car. I am strict about hand washing with her but she rarely complains. Sometimes she has to be reminded but for the most part she does it routinely. Especially after using the restroom and when she comes in from school. This is disturbing.....she says at school they use wipes before lunch and hand sanitizer before eating snacks. I tell myself that's better than nothing to calm myself. I have friends who have children older than mine who have never had sv once!! That is just amazing to me seeing how my dtr has had it at least once a year, sometimes more since she was 2.

^

.... from what I've been told (and remember) ... I've never had sv* *knocks wood hard!* [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

wow, you have been very blessed!!

*knocks wood* I know [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]... actually... no I haven't been. I've had my fair share w/ pneumonia about 5 years ago. And the people in the ER (and my parents) actually did think I had an sv*! They didn't even know I had pneumonia til they took an x-ray of my lungs. But ya the v* w/ it was so bad, I was up all night for two nites in a row, v*ing all night... AND it got so bad, that my dad actually had to run out to Walgreens to buy suppositories and other crap ... and ... OMG it was living hell. I don't even want to think about it.

That's miserable[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]. I keep a supply of suppositories for me dtr. They don't always work though!

My kids have been sick enough in the past. My daughter had so many strep infections her kidneys were getting bad. It works for me, why not use a little prevention. Plus, I have a illness that when I get sick I have to go to the hospital. My kids are far from being emets.

I think MOST people from doctors, to school nurses to parents & society in general DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW SV* SPREAD. That's obvious just from reading the site a couple of times. I think the schools think they are doing the best they can just by using wipes & hand sanitizers. How can we educate them on how SV* spread?

"I'm not a doctor, but I play one on tv . . ." (Some of you may not be old enough to remember that reference). Maybe I'll try, "I'm not a microbiologist, but I am an emet" [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

In reference to letting your kids get sick, it's natural . . . I don't have a problem with the colds, etc . . . it's just the sv* and it you can't build lasting immunity to those. That's why I think it's important for others to know antibacterial soap, Purell and handwipes don't work completely.
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

I'm old enough to remember "I'm not a doctor....but I play one on tv." lol Just last night on the local news there was a story about germs in public places and how you need to keep hand sanitizer with you.