Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

*May be graphic for some people.*

It all started just over a week ago on Friday night. I had just gotten our daughter to sleep and the boys asked to play marbles. (The only time we allow them to play is when Ella is sleeping. A trip to the ER to have a marble removed from a toddler's nose just doesn't sound that fun.) Anyhow, they were playing happily and quietly for about half an hour when all of a sudden Alec just starts screaming. I thought he'd hurt himself until I heard Hadyn call out "Mom, Alec's throwing up!!!" Out of nowhereour four year old hadgotten sick all over the couch. My body was actually very calm. It was my mind that started going a mile a minute. You know....What if? Oh no! I can't handle this!....the usual. My husband ended up cleaning our son and the couch up and then we put Alec in bed. The v* continued for the entire night. The poor little guy would just get to sleep when it would happen again. It was really strange though, since he had no other symptoms...no n*, no stomach pain, no fever, no d*. We chalked it up to just a 'stomach bug' of some sort. He slept late that Saturday morning and when he got up he started asking for food. We decided to let him have rice for lunch. He kept that down along with lots of fluids, soup for dinner and even a banana before bed. I thought the worst was over, which I was very thankful for since Jeremy had to be back at work the next day. I was wrong. I was awoken by the sound of his voice saying "Momma, I need to throw up." I hopped up and rushed him to the bathroom. He was right. Again, I put him in bed and the v* started all over again. I was getting worried so I called my husband at work. We both decided it was a good idea to take him to see his doctor. Long story short.....kind of.....he actually ended up having to be admitted to the hospital. After testing his blood and urine, the dr. felt it was a good idea to have him stay overnight and be given fluid by i.v. When they retested him again in the morning it looked like he was having kidney problems. All the fluids weren't helping that much. Anywho, he did finally get released that evening with a clean bill of health and I'm so thankful.

Wow- that must have been intense! Glad you handled it well!

I'm glad that he is out and better now.....did they pinpoint what exactly caused him being sick? Was it his kidneys?

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi there!!

Oh, your poor baby!! How awful!!! It is so horrible when the little ones are ill, and not just because of this phobia. I really do hope he's on the mend and feeling better---a stay in the hospital can be scary for children (and for their mommies!!).
    And you did a fabulous job!! Well done!!! If only I can handle things as well as you did.......someday I will!! Hopefully you and the rest of your family are okay and in the clear as well. Was it just a tummy bug?
    Anyways, congrats to you for a job VERY well done!!

Thanks, Amber! His Dr. said that it was most likely a viral infection, although he did seem a bit confused/concerned about his not having any other symptoms at all. The kidney trouble seemed to be a side effect from all his vomiting. And the fact that he's so little didn't help. (He's only 31 lbs.) We were told that his size made it harder for his body to handle.

Thank you too, Christianne! I agree with you. It was definitely scary for the whole family. I never want to have to admit any of my babies to the hospital ever again. He was such a little trooper though. When the three nurses came to put in the i.v., they started explaining how they were going to use a sheet to wrap him up like a little burrito so they could get the needle in without him squirming too much. My husband let them know that it wouldn't be necessary and of course it wasn't. Our little man took that needle better than some grown men.

And I know that when the time comes you will be able to handle it!!!!

Well done Sheri! I'm so sorry your little boy was ill! I hope he is feeling better soon.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

What a scare that must have been!! I'm glad your son is better now. Congratulations on handling it so well!

well done for being so calm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wow.. I am so glad he's better and so proud of you for getting through that. How do you feel now that you've had this experience? Has it changed your phobia any?
    \"This too shall pass\"

How awful, I am so sorry for you and your poor little baby. I hope he continues to improve!!! ANd you did a great job handling it, well done!