Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Question

Does anyone know any treatment for people who fear others v*ing??

Another question:

My parents think I'm stupid. They refuse to get me a phsycotherapist,
    my mom said, "You do not have emet. People with emet are mentally
    ill..." I try to explian, but she wont listen... I want help sooo bad
    and I want to be cured, but right now, my path to treatment seems so
    dark and unclear. How can I get her and my father to listen? Is the
    treatment expensive, or can I pay for it myself??

<3 So many pretty parts and no pretty wholes <3

fornever- I just PM'd you. The treatment for people who fear others being sick is exactly the same as for those who fear themselves being sick- cognitive-behavioural and exposure therapy. The CBT to change the damaging thought patterns, and the exposure therapy (done very gradually). Check out the treatment forum- there is some fabulous information there

Also- in the treatment forum there is information you can print off relating to emet- it may be useful to give it to your family so they can better understand you.

And if they think that seeing a psychologist makes a person mentally ill- then over half the professionals I meet must be certifiable!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Great answer, crim. Fornever, first of all, I'm really sorry that you're suffering from this and your parents are not there for you emotionally in a supportive way. I hope you find it inspiring that I suffered very badly from the fear of others vomiting (VERY badly) for many years and I've been completely successfully treated.

Unfortunately, it sounds as if your parents have shame issues around mental illness and even emotional disorders. But the cold truth is that emetophobia IS a mental illness, which is called an "anxiety disorder". Sometimes people feel better to say they have "an emotional disorder" rather than "a mental illness". I'm not sure why - you'd think in the 21st century people understood that there's no more shame in a mental illness than a physical one.

Try to print out the INFO sheet on a sticky post at the top of this Treatments section and give it to your parents. Therapy is expensive, unfortunately. But if you hang in there, you will one day be able to afford some good treatment. It takes a lot of looking.

Maybe try talking to your parents about how THEY feel if you are indeed, "mentally ill"

Take care
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hi Fornever,

I'm so sorry that you don't have their support. In other posts I've read from you, you sound like you're incredibley strong and sensitive. I know those don't sound like they go together, but they do & I REALLY admire people like that.

If you can't get your parents to help, can you talk to a school counselor?My other suggestions are to read what you can here, especially the treatment sections. And, there is an excellant book. I think it is called the Anxiety & Phobia workbook.

What I know of emet, it is often associated with other disorders such as OCD, depression, anxiety & my favorite ADD (me). Well, I am dealing with all but OCD. That book is very helpful with all of it.

Are you mainly affected by others v*? Is it any v* or just sv"? I am fine with v* myself if I have to. That's not to say I do it willingly. I'm also fine is someone is v*ing and it isn't contagious ie. anthesia or over heated etc. It's just the go 'ole sv*. That's why I didn't think I was an emet for quite a while. I've finally embraced it. I even tell others about it. I'm amazed at how many people have some sort of phobia. I think it is much easier when you can tell others and not be ashamed. You'll be surprised of the support you will get.

Anyway, I'll be glad to chat back and forth if you would like. I can share what treatments I'm trying if you think we're similar. Hang in there & remember it's your parents hang up about this. It's not your fault.

Susan
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown