Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Everyone,

It's been a long time since I was in school. I was curious about
    these two questions and if anyone could give me some feedback.

Here goes..

1)When I was in school and someone v* the janitor would go around with
    his bag of sawdust and pour it over it. I knew when I saw
    that guy with his bag, there was something bad around the corner.

Do they still use sawdust?

You know my husband has alot of woodworking equipment and when I see the sawdust I think of school.

2) Why if I see someone v*(hoping not often..crosses fingers) I don't
    want to be around them? I had a friend in school that I really
    liked. One afternoon she barfed all over the classroom and I
    didn't want to be friends with her anymore. She didn't know why
    and I didn't want to tell her I just stayed away from her like
    the plague.

Just curious,

Renee

Well I am not sure how useful I will be it's been a few years too BUT.....
    Yes they still use sawdust but they will often use it to clean up spills as well since it is just easier. 2) He may not have been using it. The janitor may have been moving it.

What kind of school? Are you a teacher? or going to college?
    Older people (like you said with your kids) won't just let it fly. Unless of course you are at a rave or a big drinking party where everyone is acting like an ass. Which I doubt because I don't think any emet would be caught dead at a place like that LOL.
    In all my years of school and even post secondary the only times I ever saw someone sick was when I was in elementry and lucky for me it was way back in grade 3. UNFORTUNATLY I don't think I could ever forget the day or the humility the kid went through. I remember his name and what he had had for lunch and everything *shudder*
    Anyways I am blathering now. LOL
    I am sure that you will be fine. I even ended up in the classroom in highschool with kids that had been out partying but 99% of the time they wanted an excuse to go home or get out of school so they went home or never came in. So never had to see anyone sick then. Even in college they either didn't come in or left and you never really know why it is they are leaving.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I don't know if they use sawdust still or not, but I know that there's a "magic" powder stuff called Powder Dam that they use in the nursary at my church. I have also seen it in Walmart and stuff. When sprinkled on any spills (such as v*) It turns into a gel-like substance that you can just vacuum up. I am going to try to get some for my house for if my son gets sick, even though I think it's usually used commercially. I think maybe it could make things a lot easier if something does happen.

I'm not sure if they still use sawdust anymore or not, sometimes it's just covered up with paper towels which is a bit gross.

I know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable around people who have been sick. When I was in primary school the girl on the next table just suddenly threw up al over the table and some of it landed on the floor next to me. I don't remember being scared, I just though it was gross.

I never forgot the girl who did it, or what it looked like and even now, she works in the same hospital I do and I still feel uncomfortable around her. I don't know why it makes you feel differently about people either but I'm really annoyed that it does!!
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=BLUE>Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolinexx</font></font>

i have never ever heard of the usage of sawdust before!! u learn something new everyday...

bt in reply to ur second question, it seems totally "normal" for us to have tht reaction. its not just you. dont worry ur not being selfish or nething, its just ur phobia. smthing that CAN be beaten.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for your replies

Just curious if sawdust was still used. Buttercup, that clean up
    stuff seems much better than sawdust LOL I think paper towel
    clean up would be gross!!

Melikasa, I went to college back in the early 80's. I never
    finished. I'm a very anxious person and just couldn't handle
    it. I tried to go back to college a couple of years ago, but it
    just wasn't for me. Oh well, the experience was worth it.

The school v* was in elementary. I swear 1-2/ per month
    someone was doing it. Maybe I didn't always see them do it, but I'd
    walk by after the deed, or another kid would tell me someone did it.

It's like we all have antennae's up always searching to make sure everything around us is okay.[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I found it funny how you mentioned rave parties. I don't know if
    my sons ever went to one but they do go to concerts and get in the mosh
    pit, UGH One of my sons says he doen't drink much so he is
    considered the designated driver. When he told me this I said,
    "just make sure noone v* in your car". Just like an emet..huh!

Renee

They used sawdust at my junior school. I never like looking at sawdust because it brings back laods of memories! At my school they do have sawdust but they usually just mop it up. *gross gross gross*

I get like that. At my school when people are about to go home because they've v* I see them all when I walk past the office which is like a corner in a corridor with a wall so you can see EVERYTHING! Anyway I see people there everyday lokoing really ill, so I always avoid them afterwards. If my rfiends are ill I avoid them too unless I know that they havent v*

I have never seen sawdust being used. I have seen janitors and other people use the powder stuff (I see them use that at amusement parks), they mop it up (using disinfectants), or paper towel clean it (EW!). In elementary school, when a kid threw up in the classroom, the janitor used mop-disinfectant method. I'm sure that is commonly used. However, the sawdust is probably still used, but since they have easier methods (the powder-gel thing &amp; vaccum it up), they do not use it as often.

LIzzY

Well it's been a LONG time since I was in school and they used the sawdust stuff back then and it had this awful sickening smell, like mint covered v*. EWWW.... I'm getting the chills just thinking about it and all the times it's been used, it was over 20 years ago and I still remember each one.

In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Hmm, I have never heard of the sawdust use before.

In my school they use this white powder, it may be the same stuff that buttercup is talking about.

they used sawdust at my school yuk. And the other day i was in the supermarket and they were covering something up with sawdust, i though someone had v* but it was jst a broken jar and theyd covered up the sauce stuff in it with sawdust but still yuk lol

I never ever saw someone v* in school but i know lots of ppl did. Ive only ever seen my boyfriend v* so now i always ask him how hes feeling and i hate goin in the car with him or stuff like that. Its really strained our relationship *sigh*

Sarah xxx
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...

Hmm, to be honest I dont think I ever realized what they used for v* in school. Thankfully I never had to really witness it much and see what they put on it after. I know what you mean tho about avoiding the person, as tho they are still contaminated or something. This one kid did do it like right in front of me and I was horror struck of course, I think I was just in shock, and after that I just couldnt look at the kid in the same light anymore.

Im always afraid Im going to do that with someone I love, like say my bf or something, and then act all strange around him cause he v* in front of me. I dont ever want that to happen, but Im not sure how to make sure that doesnt. I think its just a mind-association thing.

It's quite strange, really, because for me, if some kid at school v*s (which happens all to often in my opinion) I will freak and not be able to get within1 hallway of distence of them. However, I remember in grade 2, I had this phobia then too, and my mom v*ed and although it was hard it wasn't near as hard as I thought it to be, I even rubbed her back! Hmmm...I wonder if someone you really love v*s its not as hard as a stranger, because you love them? I think that's how it is for me, anyways.[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]