Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: am i crazy?

so i went to get breadsticks for dinner from the pizza place that i
    have gone to forvever, when the girl finished ringing us up, she walks
    over grabs the breadsticks and puts the in a bag. so i told her excuse
    me can i have breadsticks you didnt just touch without washing your
    hands, she looked at me weird and said we all have to wash our hands.
    then she asaked who could touch them. i said a cook with clean hands,
    so he did and now i feel like a jerk. but i wouldnt have eaten them. im
    scared to eat them now too because im scared i will be jinxed for being
    a jerk, but its just not sanitary. She handels money you know? am i
    crazy or would other people do the same thing? am i jinxed?? like i
    want to call and complain...ask for some tongs or something, you know?

Edited by: rubysoho120
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

oh no i would have done the same thing...she shouldn't touch something
    you are supposed to be eating with out washing her hands, especially
    after handling money.
    Although I could see why she would give you a weird look though
    becuase i guess we are just a bit different from other people...

anywho i know how you feel with the jinxed thing. i can get quite
    superstitios about those sort of things. those thoughts are definatly
    rather annoying but i'm sure the breadsticks are ok....mmmm...you
    made me hungry actually...ha ha...i love breadsticks!
    Edited by: livielove123
    ~viva~

Yeah I know, but it was just gross...im sure non emets wouldnt care,
    but there are some non emets i know would care...like my best friend
    and shes not emet
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yeah...that whole situation always makes me feel guilty. a couple
    months ago someone was making a sandwich for me at a deli and they
    coughed with out moving their head. I was battling myself wondering
    whether or not i should just ask for another one....but i knew i would
    seem crazy. i just took it but ended up not eating it and being annoyed
    at myself. gah..i hate those situations...especially when your really
    hungry!
    ~viva~

I always eatch if someone is not touching the food I am about to eat
    but I am usually to shy to say something. I simly throw it away
    afterwards, but never eat.
    You only live once

Yeah I did something like that once at a smoothie shop. I saw the woman grab this spoon out of a dirty blender pitcher when she had soaking in the sink, to stir my smoothie as it was blending. When she gave it to me I asked her to make me another one that she didn't stick something from the dishwater in.

She gave me a weird look, but....ew! It was DISHWATER!

Geez makes you wonder what they do when we aren't looking!
    Yea what she did was unsanitairy for sure. I dont blame you for not wanting to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Galadriel
    Geez makes you wonder what they do when we aren't looking!
    Me too...that's why I always prefer eating things that are packed or
    need to be heated anyhow at home. If I am not home, I always buy
    chocolate bars,cereal bars or packed buns, muffins, cookies or little
    cakes.

You only live once

I'm with you longgone always bars and bags of sweets, i work in the catering industry and have for most of my working life. I completly understand what u are saying. I am even bad eating where i work, the chefs always look at me strange when i insist on making my own dinner, i think they are insulted but thats the way i am. i cant even let my bf make me a cup of tea cos he takes the tea bags out with his fingers. i cant stop thinking that his dirty hands have been swirling around in my tea.

From experience in Ireland at least our health inspectors are crazy strict, they call randomly and check everything. All our wait staff and kitchen staff use gloves when handleing food or cutlery and everything has to be perfect cos u are messing with someone else's health if u don't take the 10 secs to wash your hands

So basically you are NOT crazy, here u are normal lol [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

xxMar

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I am with all you!! My biggest fear is food poisoning. i rarely freak about sv or things like that, food poisoning just seems so violent. If I for any reason am reluctant to eat something, I just throw it away. I prefer also to make my own food. When I frist started dating my bf, I would watch him never wash his hands, now he knows better. I also like to go to a place where I can see the cooks make my food, and once I find a "safe" resturarant, I continue to go to the same place. Like last night at work, we all decided to get breakfest at 330am, and we went to the same place we always do, and I was about to but some food in my mouth, when I found it, a black hair....I was so sickend I was almost gagging, and I threw the whold thing away. But I feel the same way you do ruby, what if I complain, are my chances of getting sick doubled cause I complained? Am I jinxing myself? God I hate thinking this way!!

I guess I'm just weird in that very little stops me from eating. I will be eating thinking.. this could have germs on it... but I eat it anyway, and am ok.

I do have a good story about sanitary food preparation though. Where I live there's a deli place called Newk's that we eat at a lot. It's kinda an upscale sandwich/salad/pizza shop. Anyway... my dad went there a few days ago to get take out and told us this story. The waiter that was handling our take out order was grabbing the bag of food for dad and it slipped and one of the sandwiches fell out and landed on the floor. Now the sandwiches are in those clear plastic containers, which didn't open, so the sandwich was perfectly fine.

The manager walked up when this happened and told the guy to put the sandwich in a new container. So the guy grabs the container off the floor and walks back into the kitchen. Dad could still hear them talking. The guy opened the container and the manager told him to get a new pair of gloves. He took off those gloves, put on a new pair, took the sandwich out of the container and put it in a new one. He grabbed the old container and threw it away. The manager told him to change his gloves again, so he did, grabbed the new container and put it in the bag with the other food. Then the manager told him to sanitize the entire counter and change his gloves afterwards.

Now my father is not one to really care about cleanliness.. he's one of those that rarely washes his hands, eats food that falls on the floor, and eats ANYTHING... no matter how old it is. And he's never had food poisoning... amazing. This impressed him... so I know that it must have been pretty good. And I'm very pleased, because I LOVE their food.

So... there are places out there that take care in being clean... you just have to find them.

This was/is one of my "safe" resturants, but the problem is that they
    keep getting new people who dont know what they are doing. I ate the
    breadsticks, but im still scared, and thinking of calling the manager
    and suggesting tongs
    I love Sam

I would have totally done the same thing. Something similar happend to me and I never said anything. I didn't eat it and I was so mad at myself for not saying anything because it's no unsanitary. Next time it happens I will say something and not feel bad about it. My health is more important than someones feelings!!!

I think if you call them maybe you can suggest those plastic one use gloves.