Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Which one have you heard works better as an anti-emetic?

well..i've taken both...i tkae dramamine on a regular basis, to sleep, but did take one time when i caugh the sv from my family...i never threwup (was the only one who didn't) but maybe it's just the emet taken over...bonine leaves a lingering tiredness into the next day that i don't like, but does the job for nausea pretty good, especially dizzyness...they both make me feel hungry which is what i like!
    ~Sheri~

i take dram...never tried the other
    This is Katsamsmom....and i am no longer able to access that account
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email me

I've never heard of bonine, but I know that dramamine works well for everyone I know who has taken it for seasickness. It tends to knock me out, but I'd much rather be tired than v*!

Hi there!!

I've heard from people that Bonine works better than Dramamine for motion sickness , especially for sea sickness, but I don't know that from experience. But like Sheri said a few people also said it makes them feel kind of foggy the next day.
    My sister used to take Bonine all the time for n* (she was an emet too but is actually almost recovered!!) and she swears by it. I've personally never tried it, but I've taken Dramamine once so I could sleep when I flew to Argentina and loved it.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Edited by: christianne

What is Bonine? Is it prescription? I just bought Dramimine. I've never used either but I noticed they had a non-drowsy Dramimine. Would it work as well?
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by turtleiam
    What is Bonine?* Is it prescription?* I just bought Dramimine.* I've never used either but I noticed they had a non-drowsy Dramimine.* Would it work as well?*
    Bonine is an anti-emetic similar to the prescription Antivert that you can get OTC. It's different than Dramamine---one dose usually lasts 24 hours. Supposedly it causes less drowsiness than original Dramamine, but I've never taken it so I'm not sure. But, again alot of people I know prefer it and say it works better.
    As far as the non-drowsy Dramamine goes it has the same active ingrediant as Bonine (meclizine), while the original Dramamine has dimenhydrinate. I apologize in advance for the spelling!! So I think they're relatively similar.
    Now I'm kind of curious about Bonine---I think I'll have to give it a try!!!
    Hope this helps!!

I get really bad motionsickness- dramamine just makes me drowsy, and only works about 50% of the time. I always took it with enough time for it to be absorbed as well, it just isn't that effective- for me anyway.

I use bonine (sold as Bonamine in Canada)- and found that it works better. It doesn't make me drowsy at all, and I would say that for me, it is effective about 80% of the time. I have never vomitted while taking it- but there have been a few times where I was still nauseous.

I would also like to add the disclaimer that no antiemetic is 100% effective- I think that at times people can depend too much on them. Depending on what makes you sick, and how often you take an antiemetic, your physiology, etc, they aren't foolproof.

*amber*