Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Who are you?

Hi everyone! I guess you can say I am new here, although I have been reading on and off since last summer. My name is Alexis and I live 20 minutes outside of Manhattan in the lovely state of New Jersey (haha). Cannot wait to get out of here, as I've lived here my whole live and hope that I can sooner than later relocate to the west coast. I love warm weather, baseball (Yankees! - but I follow it all) trying to learn crochet (so I can make cool scarves), belly dance, fashion blogs, 90s hiphop/R&B (although I do like something from all genres), and trying to learn how to cook (oddly enough with this phobia, I will eat/try almost anything. )

Emetophobically speaking, I've been afraid ever since I can remember...and I haven't actually been ill since the early 80s. Oddly enough, I can't remember it that well, despite my near photographic memory. Both my mother and younger sister have this fear to some degree, but they drink alcohol and don't avoid things in life. I despise alcohol and I rarely do bars or parties. But I assure you I am still a good time

This phobia has changed with me throughout life. Like some of you here, there were points where I always felt ill, had panic attacks, anxiety, never wanted to leave the house, eat, you name it. Stayed home from school, jobs, got fired. The whole nine yards. Over time, it became less about me and more about everyone else! I can pretty much trust myself at this point, but at times I live in fear of being out in the world and seeing *it* or having someone else do it. My friends all know about this thing I have, and it's kind of a little joke between us...so they know they need to calm me down, take me away, or perform CPR (haha) if God forbid an unfortunate event happens in my presence.

I found this site last summer while my mind was racing...up late Googling in OCD fashion. I was about to take a plane trip and my latest hang up is someone being ill near me or ON me. Although I was looking for horror stories to torture myself, I wound up on here and found someone else discussing a similar fear. Being that I have a future trip hopefully coming up, I decided I should probably just join and talk openly here with you guys because I can feel those crazy thoughts creeping back again!

I look forward to sharing and reading here. Hopefully we will all come away with something that can help us.

Default Re: Who are you?

I'm Danielle. I'm 19 and up until recently I went to Rutgers University. I was a cultural anthropology major and a Spanish/women's studies minor. I love to read (Kurt Vonnegut and Oscar Wilde, please) and listen to music (Morrissey, The Smiths, AFI, The Cure, please ). I have 2 tattoos. I live on the Central New Jersey shore.
    I don't get along with myself
    and I'm not too keen on anyone else
    <3

I'm 52 and living on the Oregon coast. I didn't even know my phobia had a name until I found this post last night after refusing to go to my partners daughters graduation because she had sv. After reading this site I feel better educated and less fearful about sv. However, it has also made me more aware of how much I alter my life to deal with my emet.

I'm Jo, alllmost 21 and excited. I've had emet for as long as I can remember and can very vividly remember almost every incidence of extreme anxiety since being a child regarding v* and other people v*. It's horrible and has such a massive hold on my life; to meet I come across as completely normal and very outgoing (I think..) but I can't even eat in a restaurant anymore, this phobia has caused social anxiety and it SUCKS.
    I'm training to become a dentist, a profession which will involve coming across people who may v* at any time so I need to get this sorted out very soon. If anybody has any pointers or links or directions I'd be so grateful.
    Other than emet.. I row in a women's VIII, play guitar, love photography and the countryside.

Hey all... I'm Dana. I'm 19 years old, and a student at Montserrat College of Art. I'm double majoring in graphic design and illustration. I work at a photography lab, where I develop film, work in a darkroom, do graphic design, as well as matte/frame artwork.

I have been with my boyfriend for a little over 4 and a half years (since my freshman year of high school!), and couldn't be happier.

I'm really into art, but also enjoy music (I play many instruments, but mostly piano and guitar). I love to travel, and spent a month traveling through six European countries a couple summers ago. I cannot wait to go back!

Nice to read about everyone!
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hiya!

I'm Shel, I'm 21 from Southend, UK. I live with my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years, and our cat, Rufus. I enjoy music, films and crafts. I hand-make clothes in my spare time. I also love reading and being with family and friends.

I've had emet for 13 years now, and thought it was about time I spoke to some other with the same problem!

I work in a supermarket, which is a struggle everyday, but I'm getting there.

Would love to speak to anyone, and I'm here to offer support

Shel xxx

Well hello!

My name is Brea (Br-ee). People say my name wrong all the time and it always makes me giggle.
    I live in Eastern Idaho and am turning 23 tomarrow! Woo!
    I've had emetophobia ever since I was little. It stemmed from a fear of me getting sick myself due to having acid reflux and never knowing what it was so everytime I would lay down at night, I would feel sick. It has gotten worse due to 'traumas' over my life.
    It REALLY makes me mad that I have Emetophobia and I wish I was just 'normal' and could be there for my friends when they get too drunk or my boyfriend isn't feeling well.
    I am a huge World of Warcraft junkie. I love to play and I use it as a medium to talk to my friends who are scattered across the state (one of which is moving to Canada! I'm so excited for her!). I love video games and watching movies.

I want to go to college to become a psychologist. Funny, I know! It really interests me even though I, myself, have OCD tendancies and emetophobia. I hope that I'll be able to over come my quirks without medication and be a successful psychologist.

I have been dating my boyfriend for 4 years now (go us, DoonDoon! ;P!! ) Not sure when he's going to ask me to marry him. LOL!

I found this site through a good ol' Google search so I could read other peoples stories and maybe get some ideas for coping with this phobia without having to go to a doctor. I'm afraid of exposure therapy and I don't have health insurance to help with costs anyway. I'm broke most of the time due to my boyfriend being in college and not being able to help with bills much.

I want to get over this phobia because I don't want to pass my behaviors onto my potential children of the future. And I want to feel comfortable knowing that if someone does decide to v*, I'm not going to run full speed away from them then spend the next 30 - 60 minutes hyperventilating and pacing with sweaty palms and a dry mouth. I want to have control of myself 100%.

Hey everyone! I'm Jordan and I'm 20 years old. My birthday is December 15th. I live with my boyfriend Todd. We've been together for 2 and a half years and have had lots of ups and downs but we make each other very happy. On Dec. 23rd, 2009, we welcomed a new addition to our little family - Ella Victoria. As of right now she is 6 months old and the joy of my life! She can roll over, has one tooth and is just the cutest little love bug!

I'm a student at the local community college hoping to transfer to Rhode Island College sometime in the future to get my bachelor's and hopefully one day my masters in Chemical Dependancy and Addiction Studies. I really want to make a difference in people's lives I'm currently unemployed - although being a stay at home mom is my full time job! I've had emetophobia since I was about 6 years old but only in the past few years has it really become a big issue in my life. I never liked V* but in the past few years it's just become a whole different obsession. I truly hope that I can overcome this one day and live the normal life I've always wanted!

I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, tanning (either outdoors or in a tanning bed), going to the beach, my blackberry shopping, reality TV decorating my house, taking pictures, Dave Matthews Band, Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift. I hate being sick (obviously), snow, when theres nothing good on TV, saying goodbye, being broke and my laptop (yes, it's a piece of crap and I wish everyday that I had enough money to buy a new one!)

Well, that's pretty much all there is to know about me Glad to meet you all!
    Last edited by jmdonofrio; 06-24-2010 at 08:49 PM.
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[QUOTE=HDogg;17887]I'm Heather from Akron, Ohio (actually Brimfield, but nobody has a clue where that is...it's so small it doesn't even have its own post office.) I am 24 years old and married to a wonderful man named Eric. We will have our second anniversary this October.

I know where Brimfield is! I lived in a suburb of Akron, it's small, and it's called Stow. (very boring place to live) but my best friend went to the middle school in Brimfield until she moved to Stow.

Hi all-

I just found this site and am amazed there are others like me out there.

I am 36 and live in northern California. I work in special education (ha ha--creates its own set of challenges with my problem) but find ways to deal with it. I have been with my husband for 12 years, married for 5. After the first year or so he began to understand how serious this is for me but has a sense of humor and will sometimes tease me...funny thing is his kidding has desensitized me a little, at least to hearing the word but in reality it is quite paralyzing in my life.

No kids of my own but have four nieces and a baby nephew whom I adore. I have two persian cats that are our babies (Sammy and Katie--hence the screen name). My hobbies are reading, gardening, hiking and yoga.

Nice to meet everyone!

OMG love love love this idea

Hello all my name is Sarah! I got married to my long time boyfriend last summer and in October we adopted a beautiful baby boy named Caige!! My husband and I build and show mini trucks all around Washington. I don't do a ton because the emet really gets to me but I love to go to truck shows, hang out with my family, and a lot of what I call "sit down activities" (a term I picked up after I had surgery that kept me "sitting" for a while lol) like sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, and of course good ol' tv I can't work because of the emet and panic attacks but I do love staying at home with my son! feel free to look me up on myspace!! I love a lot of cute pictures up and different things http://www.myspace.com/iheartuss69

Quote Originally Posted by slovell View Post
    OMG love love love this idea

Hello all my name is Sarah! ......
    Welcome Sarah! Your post caught my eye because I'm an adopted child. Was adopted as an infant. Very happy you two chose to adopt.

Also I'm into custom cars, and building and showing mini-trucks sounds interesting!

Take care!
    David

Hello david! We did adopt him at birth so he has lived with us his whole life! When did you find out you were adopted? How did you react to the news? I'm always afraid of when that day comes. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by slovell View Post
    Hello david! We did adopt him at birth so he has lived with us his whole life! When did you find out you were adopted? How did you react to the news? I'm always afraid of when that day comes. Lol.
    My mom and dad told me about it when I was a little kid. I don't remember the exact age; but I don't remmeber ever NOT knowing. Mom has an internal birth defect and can't conceive.

It didn't bother me at all because I knew no one else but my adoptive mom and dad. I'm so blessed to have them! My sister had some trouble with it. She was 5 years younger than me, and was sister by adoption only. Her biological mother was native American Indian, and I'm of European descent.

She didn't have an easy life due to mental illness. Sadly, my sister is no loger living. Mom and dad have adopted her 2 children, in the 3rd and 5th grades. With my neices living at mom and dad's house it's like starting over all again with 2 sisters!

Thanks!
    David

Hello my name is Lisa!

I don't get on here often, but I always end up coming back. I live in TN, I have a degree in Fine Art. I work as a graphic designer from a home office. I play the violin and love to paint with oils. I am married with a six year old daughter. I am 42, and have been emet since I was 6.

I'm originally from Fort Worth, TX, but right now I live in Columbia, Missouri (for college.)

Hey, I'm Meredith! I'm 21 years old, and I'm from Fort Worth, Texas. :-) I go to the University of Missouri, also known as Mizzou, and I'm an advertising major. I'm engaged to the love of my life (Aaron) and have been engaged to him since last March. (He proposed in Disney World. ) I'm very passionate about creativity, love, family, and animals. I love thunderstorms, the new car smell, the smell of coffee, movie theater popcorn, horror movies, Diet Dr Pepper, and Michael Jackson.
    Even though I'm an emetophobe, I refuse to let it COMPLETELY control my life and what I want out of it (aka kids in the future and such.)

Hi Everybody!

My name is Lilia. I live in Northern California. I am 22 years old.
    Im the oldest of 3 CRAZY girls...yes including myself lol
    I have a boyfriend of 2 months and so far he is wonderful.
    Im on my way to obtaining my B.A in psychology.
    Would love to be a clinical therapist....my own personal experience will come in handy

I love to cook! And love to help people in any way possible.

My name's Kate. I'm an 18 year old college sophomore living in the 860 of Connecticut. I go to NEIT for Video & Audio Production. I woould looove to write& direct horror films one day. I'm small, only 4'9", loves chihuahuas and have had emet since I was 5 ):

Quote Originally Posted by katemariexoo View Post
    My name's Kate. I'm an 18 year old college sophomore living in the 860 of Connecticut. I go to NEIT for Video & Audio Production. I woould looove to write& direct horror films one day. I'm small, only 4'9", loves chihuahuas and have had emet since I was 5 ):
    What town do you live in? I live in Stonington!
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by DoonDoon View Post
    What town do you live in? I live in Stonington!
    I'm in Killingly (: !

Hi! I'm Rachel, and I'm 14. I live in Maryland.
    I love, love, love playing field hockey! From the first time I played it, I knew it was my "thing". I also enjoy skiing, tennis, basketball,and hanging with friends.
    When I get older, I really want to be an interior designer. I think it sounds like such a fun thing to do!!

I have had this phobia for a looong time, and I felt no one really understood what it was like until I found this site.

Unhappy Re: Who are you?

I am so relieved to have found this forum...I am 9 weeks pregnant and have been an emetophobe for over 16 years...I actually put off having children b/c i was so scared of morning sickness. Needless to say I am in the midst of morning sickness and ridden with panic. I am afraid to sleep because i dont want to wake up in the middle of the night V* so i eat mints until i fall asleep. I am more afraid of V* than almost anything in life...well, everything, other than death. has anyone found relief without paying thousands of dollars just to have it return?
    thanks so much,
    T

Hi, I'm Kim i live in Birmingham in the west Midlands UK. I work full time and deal with health care. I have a partner of 8 years but no children yet.
    I love to travel and to shop as much as possible. I also love ghost hunting (sad i know but i love it).

Love Kim x x x