Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi all, I looked up emetophobia on the web and went to one site I hadn't seen before

http://emetophobia.bravepages.com/vomiting.htmlI found an interesting clip in it:

There is also an operation called a fundoplication performed in severe cases of acid reflux. Most people who have them are unable to burp or vomit for the rest of their lives. We are unaware of anyone having a fundoplication due to emetophobia.

******WARNING*******

Beware when you look on the site as there may be some articles on there that some people may find graphic - do NOT read "one man's experience with ipecac" unless you feel you can - it's not nice.
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=BLUE>Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolinexx</font></font>

Theres really an op like that?!! we should all have it done lol!!!!!

Wow to know u couldnt v* for the rest of your life, how much comfort would that be????

Sarah xxx
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...

if we did have that op.. our disorder wud manifest into smthing else probably!!

or u'd strt thinking... " has it worked properly??)

tht kinda thing

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yeah Jen, you are so right! theres no way id believe it had worked lol!
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...

yeah, in a way its better for us to just focus on getting over the phobia, then chicekning out and geting an op.

its lke.. a depressive jst killing himself becuase he cant cope with his feelings...

its just... i duno. wrong ?

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

i agreee with jen on this one. One fear manefests into something else.
    A fundoplication would not be a solution to our problems, it would be an easy way out. I think we owe it to ourselves to beat emet, without taking an easy route.
    Besides, not vomiting, is NOT healthy.
    We dread it n'all, but at the end of the day, whether it' a consolation or not.. vomiting is the body's way of repairing itself.

Hi, I'm Anthea, 30 years old and from Perh, Western Australia. I have been married for 4 years in April and have a 7 yr old son called Cody and a 2 yr old son called Trent.I currently don't work as have taken time off to be with the little man however am considering returning to do something soon whether it be study (finish off my teaching degree??)or a new career. I am fortunate enough to not have to worry about working as my husband has a successful business that cares for his family well. It is for my sanity and boredom that I need to do something.

I do help out a lot at my son's school and I am a leader at his local sea scouts group which is lots of fun. Lots of sailing, camps.... all the things that help me get over this phobia. A leader can't wimp out of doing things as it doesn't set a good example for the cubs....lol. Stay tuned, have to go on a flying fox soon... and not a little one. Heights totally freak me out.

I have two cats, Maggie (the big fat one) and Charlie (our baby) and I couldn't imagine life without them. They are my emet companions who pace about with me, giving me reasurance rubs, when I'm not feeling the best.

I have amy mum, dad andnanna who live here inPerth also and my brotherand his family who live in Queensland.... that's it. Tiny family. All of my cousins are in the UK.Myself and my brother are the only aussies in the family.

Caroline, I read the ipecac story a couple of years ago, and it still haunts me!!!

i have been offer that for ibs, but i was too scared to say yes. it is a quite danergous proceedur. i will discuss it with my consultant next time i see her

Just suppose we all had that op, and none of us v*d again. 99% of us would still be emetophobic, cos we'd still have the fear of other people v*ing.

And there is a reason for v*ing, we need to get toxins out of our bodies in a hurry sometimes, in case they do actual damage. Rats can't v* and thats why rat posion works so well.

This is just my opinion on the matter, I have mixed feelings about that fundoplication procedure.

I myself am extremely Emetophobic and my biggest fear is of me V*ing. It's not just to loss of control (like alot of emets fear) its mainly the way it feels, every part that my body goes through is horrifying (I will refrain from describing it graphically), even if it is over in seconds I'd do anything to stop it form ever happening again.

For me, this surgery (if it REALLY 100% stopped you from every V*ing again which there is no claim of) sound like a dream come true. To be positive it would never happen again?

But on the negative side yeah its not curing Emet, I know I'd still fear othersv*but its a dream to be free from ever going through that hell again. Edited by: lucinda

my mums a nurse and i asked hewr, she tells me that they cut the tube that creates gastric acid. so it isnt 100% full proof anyway!

i would say if you get alot of relfux then it would be worth it, otherwise why put yourself through that!

First off, I think a doctor would have to be pretty irresponsible to do this physical medical procedure in an attempt to 'cure' something something whose root is mental. That, and there are probably somenasty side effects involved- it is done for a specific reason, and the benefits of the procedure outweigh the costs of not having it done, which is SEVERE acid reflux for those affected.

What needs to be realized is that VOMITTING itselfis not the problem- it is rather how we construct vomitting, and the processes we create which enable us to fear it. Our bodies vomit for a reason- although it's unpleasant, it serves a purpose- removing toxins, telling us when we ate something that doesn't agree with us, etc., as hannah mentioned.

Having this procedure done will also not likely be a 'cure' to this phobia. The thought processes which enable us to fear vomit can't just be undone like that- you need to slowly work to change them. Otherwise, even though you 'know' you are likely not to vomit, you will still fear it. Think about it- even people who are on strong antiemetics still worry that they will vomit.

The only way to truly get over this phobia is to work on the though processes that enable it. There is no real physical 'cure'.

*amber*

i agree amber, i have suffered from server reflux, which is now better controled by medcines, that is the only reason why it was suggested

During the fundoplication procedure, the part of the stomach that is closest to the entry of the esophagus (the fundus of the stomach) is gathered, wrapped, and sutured (sewn) around the lower end of the esophagus and the lower esophageal sphincter. (The gathering and suturing of one tissue to another is called plication.) This procedure increases the pressure at the lower end of the esophagus and thereby reduces acid reflux. Postoperatlively, you can have difficulty swallowing, nausea, and yes, vomiting. This surgery is usually used to treat severe esophageal reflux disease and hiatal hernias.

I promise you, you'd still have the phobia! Your brain would not be changed one bit - only your esophagus. So you'd probably still have the horrible, terrifying fear, even though you couldn't do it. And your fear of seeing someone else do it would guaranteed get worse and worse.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.