Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Alcohol...

So i know most emets are afraid to touch alcohol for fear of v* with use. I NEVER v* in my life since an infant so i tend to lean towards the safe side, however, being in a college sorority puts the pressure on alcohol a wee bit. One night i decided to test it and pretty soon was drinking some pretty heavy everclear from the bottle. The good part- i never got sick. never even felt sick. my friend got sick and only drank half as much asI did. I think it was a miracle i didnt get sick ( of course i think its a miracle ivenever BEEN sick)So since then , i figure a drink here of there ( not the hard stuff) cant dome much harm. My question however, does anyone know kinda like when you should stop drinking so you dont get sick. I mean maybe like a limit to set for yourself so you can still drink socially and SAFELY but without having to worry about the fear of getting sick?

Thats a good question!!! I want the answer because I dont drink due to the fact I dont want to get sick

A rule of thumb says your blood alcohol has to be .2 % for you to vomit. That's nearly three times the legal limit for driving in most places. I think if you can keep it below .15% you should be able to keep everything down. Study those blood alcohol charts and get an idea. And remember: No driving afterward, except for the porcelain bus, if necessary.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I used to drink really a lot...I used to go from party to party every
    Friday and Saturday night and usually ended up in not remembering
    anything the next day. But I never got sick. Not ever. I stopped
    drinking not because of an emet, but because I became a vegetarian and
    also converted to a healthy life style.
    Edited by: longgone
    You only live once

I would say a good rule of thumb would be to stop drinking when youstart tofeel the effects of the alcohol. In my experience, I feel you would have to be really drunk to actually v* unless you have a very weak stomach. I think most people v* from alcohol poisoning (drinking too much) or from dizziness, which can cause n*. If you drink in moderation, I think you will be absolutely fine.

It's all an individul thing how much alcohol a person can handle. There are factors which tend influence it....

-Females generally have a lower alcohol tolerance than males.

-Height and weight play a role just like with any other drug. The less body mass, the less it generally takes for you to start feeling it.

-How much you've had to eat. Never</span> drink alcohol on an empty stomach, because you'll start feeling it much faster that way. Once at a mexican restaurant I had half a glass margarita before the food came and when I stood up I was a little light headed, just from not even a full glass.

-Experience. If you don't usually drink, you'll have lower tolerance for it than someone who drinks on a regular basis.

There are, of course, exceptions to this. I know a girl who can finish an entire pitcher of beer by herself without getting extremely drunk, but she's 4 inches shorter than me and weighs about 40 pounds less than I do...where as three drinks is usually my limit.
    You just have to figure out what's right for your body. That doesn't mean you'll have to v* to find out. I've never v*ed from drinking, and I'm not even sure I've been n* from the drinking it self. I think it was more from just being scared that I'd v*.
    I'm in college too, so one tip I have is to avoid those drinking games that they have at parties like funneling and shots. Those make you consume a lot of alcohol really quickly, so by the time you realize that you've gone too far the alcohol is already inside you so it's too late to just stop...at that point you could v* and when it comes to alcohol stopping v*ing can actually be dangerous.

good ideas =) thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1
    A rule of thumb says your blood alcohol has to be .2 % for you to vomit. That's nearly three times the legal limit for driving in most places. I think if you can keep it below .15% you should be able to keep everything down. Study those blood alcohol charts and get an idea. And remember: No driving afterward, except for the porcelain bus, if necessary.

This statement is not true...for me at least. On my 21st birthday I got hammered, and we went back to my work (i work in a police station) to see what my blood alcohol was and I blew only a .09%. I wasn't even legally drunk!! I v* about 12 times that night, now I don't ever drink. I had know idea that I was even that drunk, cause I drank so fast. I think what a good way to drink, is to drink one drink an hour. Since alcohol takes toime to get to your blood stream, drinking a drink every hour will help you to detrimine if you can go on drinking or not.

Oh yeah, that's another thing. If it's the first time you've drank, don't drink enough to get drunk. If your body isn't used to alcohol at all then it's more likley to have a bad reaction like v*ing.

Again, it all depends on the person, but I feel like the reason I've never had a problem with getting sick from drinking was because I was slowly eased into it when I was younger. At first I was allowed to just try a sip, and then when I was in my late teens I was allowed to have like one glass of wine at Thanksgiving.

will 1 can of beer make you v*?

I think it definetly depends on the individual.

Now Im sure Im an emet oddity, becos I love a few drinksespecially italian white wine, Im now pushing 38 and cant drink like i used tobut I like a couple in the evening and if i go out I will have a few more.

In my 20's I think I used to drink way too much but put it down to my age.I could regularly drink my male friends under the table. UK readers will prob have heard of "K" cider, nasty stuff but I used to pack it away, how I never got sick is beyond me but i spent several summer evenings sitting in my garden not being able to move for fear of v* but I just carried on,. I think this was a period ofhiding away from my real fears, Im better now than I was but still enjoy a couple of glasses of wine in an evening which isnt a bad thing.It helps me relax after a s***ty day atwork and especially if I have been comfronted with a sick coworker!!!

I think everyone needs to establish a point when they know when to stop,I dont smoke so a few glassesof wine is my vice, its the same thing (exceptsmoking wont make you v* usually!!!)

laney xxx