Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Ok I know in my previous post I said "I need help" and this time I really do...

I have this geography trip coming up on Monday and I'm going to Lantau...incase if you don't know Hong Kong that well...LANTAU IS AN ISLAND. That means I'll be taking a ferry with like 270 other people in Year 9 and some other passengers O.o I BET SOMEONE (OR MORE) WILL GET SEASICK AND V* what should I DO???? I can't stop thinking about it as each day is passing by and Monday is getting nearer and nearer.

Can someone give me some stress relieve tips or anything ??? Last time I was on a ferry I nearly cried when I THOUGHT this guys was gonna v* but he didn't but I was depressed the whole day...OMG

Ok, first off I say get some Dramamine. Now, I am a fan of regular Dramamine. I only take one and it usually doesn't make me too drowsy but it does cut down on my anxiety. If you cannot be drowsy at all, go with the non-drowsy variety. The only reason I think you should take some before you board is just as a preventative strike on your anxiety about the possibility of you v*. If you know that you won't get seasick because you have taken something to prevent it, your anxiety will come down a lot.

Second, steer clear of the area in which most people get sick. So, don't hang out near the deck. It sounds obsessive, but whenever I have had to take a ferry or a boat somewhere, I always try to keep myself away from things that will increase my anxiety.Seasick peopledon'thelp, so I avoid their usual hangouts on board a ship, like the deck.

You'll be fine!

BTW, as an edit, most ferries usually are constructed like catamarans (at least over here), so they usually do not allow too much feel of the waves. That seriously cuts down on seasickness.Edited by: marieb73

Hi Callyfung - its awful that you are feeling like this and worrying so much about next Monday.

I used to feel exactly the same and would just stay in a corner away from everyone and put my music player on to drown out any sounds and read a magazine to divert my attention away from anyone who was ill.

You will get through it, try and keep to yourself and don't look out for people who are ill (easier said than done). I've been on lots of ferry crossings and very rarely have I seen anyone get sick.

Hope it goes okay, M x

Yeah I don't know how big the ferries in Hong Kong are, but the ones here in the US are usually pretty big and have wide hulls so you don't feel much motion.

If you're worried about seeing other people getting sick, I agree just stear clear of where they're likely to be like the deck or the bathroom.

If you're worried about yourself getting sick, then some kind of medicine for motion sickness is a good idea. Also don't drink any coffee that day, because I read on a website which was owned by this person who does sailing tours that almost everyone who drinks coffee before a trip gets sick.

I have been on a ferry, it took half an hour. It was socalm you couldn't tell you were on the sea. The only thing to avoid is looking overboard and don't stand by anyone elase who is looking overboard.

I have had the exact same fear every time I've travelled by ferry! I coped by going to look around the shop on the ferry, going outside and looking at the view, going to the cafe for a drink and basically keeping myself occupied. I figured if you feel ill the last place you'd be is in the cafe or looking round the shop. It's good being outside too - all that fresh air and looking into the distance, well, ithelps you toconcentrate on something else other than people around you getting travel sick. Or maybe you could distract yourself with reading a good book or listening to music.

Another thing I've found is the actual ferry ride is never as bad as what you build it up to be in your imagination beforehand! You will most likely end your ferry journey wishing you hadn't spent all that time worrying about something that never happened! I travelled to Ireland from England a few years ago and worried myself to death about the journey by sea out there as I'd heard the journey could be so rough making so many people ill. Well the actual journey, both there and back, was perfectly fine! The sea was so calm and nobody was ill.

I hope you can manage to enjoy your trip - I'm sure everything will be fine. Please let us know how it goes!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I have been on Ferries quite a few times. They were all nice except for
    the last one i was on because it was windy and rainy and very very
    rocky. I wanted to stay out in the fresh air but the rest of my family
    was annoyed. It was about an hour and I didn't see or hear of anyone
    getting s*. I was so panicked but i was perfectly fine. So
    yeah....um...my point is your chances are that you won't see anyone.
    Try and relax and have fun! Ask some of your friends to distract you!
    ~viva~

Ok first of all I have NO idea what is dramamine or wtv. I don't think my mom would let me buy it anyway cuz my mom thinks my phobia is not that serious...o.o

Btw in Hong Kong the ferries are okay I guess...when we UPGRADE but we usually don't cuz when you sit at the top of the ferry...it's ok, but when you come back, you sit downstairs and i see so many people making this scrunched up face and they look like they're gonna v* any second and I panic so badly...

I want to listen to my MP3 but I usually talk to my friends so I dont wanna be rude and stuff....

OMG last time there was a school trip involving ferries it only had like 100 something people and I know some people who get seasick easily and they didn't go but this time the trip is compulsary and I THINK THEY'RE GONNA V*!!!

Ok i'm panicking again...btw my friend just told me about how this dude v*ted in the mall and NOW I DON'T REALLY FEEL LIKE GOING TO THE MALL FOR THE NEXT MONTH which is really childish of me but I feel so ... depressed when I think of how I usually go to the mall with my parents to eat breakfast on saturdays...

Oh btw I don't get seasick I don't v* even if I do get "sick" I just get headaches so thats ok...btw speaking of V* i' haven't v*ted for like...8 years O.oEdited by: callyfung