Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Trully folks, I am about in tears knowing that this site exist! Thank you for this site! I always thought I was alone. I've been an emet for over 32 years. I hate this phobia. It consumes me but I also have long repreves from it. But I am at my worst from October - April and then in the mid summer. Strange, huh?

No one, not even my wife knows how long it has been since I last V*. But we have been married 17 years and it has never happened....as of yet.I know I must be due!

Let me put it this way. Ronald Reagan was in office the last time it happened. But my phobia forbids me to give a date or an exact year. Cleary you see It has been years and I have had my share of sv* and dodged the bullet. I am a strong Dramamine user but only when I feel the threat is there. I do not take it daily. I can not say if that is why I have not...or if it is the blessing of the emet suffer. All I know is I hate the phobia...love the record I hold and if I was offered eternal health..wealth...if I was required to only v* once...I'd have to pass it up!

I know it's sick...twisted and wrong...or is it? People fear water, snakes, spiders and people understand...but you say you are a v*phobe and you are a fool, a "nut-case", etc.

Oddly enough...my daughter was very ill with the sv* back in Feb of this year. The one time my wife was no there. I was alone and she had a lot of chunder to spew!

Only 7 and a bit of a phobe herself she managed to v* without me being in there and flushed the toilet and would go back to bed and I would bring her a cool rag and then I'd sit with her telling how sorry I am for being such a coward!

Then on the last round of v* she had...SHE missed and someone had to clean it up! I offered her the chance to do it herself...she declined..promply! With a mask...rubber gloves..bleach spray...I entered the "hall of death" and cleaned the spill. To my surprise I was not in great horror. I got the job done and then went on a three day phobic attack that I would come down with the sv*. This was the one and only time on record that I did not get it. I was amazed. It was a well deserved victory in my opinion..but alas..here it is...November and every kid in school and co worker at my office and my wife's job are all talking about the sv* that is going around. Needless to say I am in a mental fetal postion shaking in fear that THIS could be the time that my number is up.

The only good thing is..that after a few weeks pass and nothing has happened, the kids go unscaved and no one around me is or has been ill. I go about normal life.

Thanks...I've always wanted to tell my story.....

My name is John...and I am...an emetophobic.

John,

Welcome to the site. The day I discovered it, I was like
    you...overcome with tears and emotion, but mostly relief because I
    realized that I was no longer suffering alone. There are so many
    wonderful people here. You will be amazed at the support and
    advice that you will get from strangers, who do not stay strangers for
    long.

The great thing is that everyone on this site has been in your shoes in
    one way or another. And, when you are feeling like the emet. has
    taken over and you are of irrational mind, there is someone who
    recently felt the same way and is of rational mind that can help you
    through it.

I can sympathize with the time of year, as well as everyone here. It is a good time for you to have found us.

Again, welcome. You are among fellow emetophobes!!!

Julie

Welcome.

Believe me no one here will think you're a nutcase for emet.

One thing all newbies seem to notice is that there are a lot more women here than men, so I'm sure the guys will be glad to have another to join them.

I definetly identify with what you said about being overdue for v*ing. It hasn't quite been as long as you since I was born when Regan was in office, but it's been a while.

I don't have any children but there are a lot of people here who do, so if you want someone to talk to about that then I'm sure you'll have company there too.

Hey John! Welcome! I am glad you found the site too! Everyone is so much help here and we all understand where you are coming from!
    Christi
    *^**^***^****^*****^******^**
    Proud Mommy to Zachary

welcome john to the site. i am a married mom of 2 and have been an emetall my life. i too take dramamine when i need it. We are all here for you. listed below is my email and myspace page if you ever need to chat. take care!!
    This is Katsamsmom....and i am no longer able to access that account
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email me

Hi John,

Welcome. I imagine you will be like me and spend the next couple weeks reading EVERYTHING on this site. It will help. I think the most helpful has been the Q & A with Sage and Alvin under the Q&A section.

I'm exactly like you and cannot STAND the thought of sv*. At my worst I sat outside in the middle of the night, in rural Iowa, on my deck on January 10th (for those who don't know, Iowa is considered a northern state - it was d_mn cold), with a racoon eating birdseed a couple of yards away. The racoon made me a little nervous, but going back inside was worse. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] Now, I go sit in my van. Still cold, but no racoons. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I can relate on finding this site. I didn't know there was a name until I googled "fear of v*" It's amazing how much support there is. It's a great place to talk out what most other "normal" people laugh at. Just knowing that there is somebody who relates helps lighten the load. I can also relate to curling up in bed and not being able to comfort your child when they need it. That's what upsets me the most. Someday we will. Right?!

And, as far as you getting the sv*, my guess is that you do all the right things that you won't get it. It isn't as random as we all thought it was. Glad you're here!

Susan
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

Oh, John! WELCOME!!!!!! Yes, this site and the people here are truly a blessing....I always thought I was the only one! We are not alone!!! YAY!!! It's kind of cliche but THANK GOD FOR EMETS!!!! I'm glad you are able to share your story with us!! You are not a freak or weird!! you are Human and we all are too! Please feel free to post tous anytime and share your experiences!
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

Quote Originally Posted by turtleiam

with a racoon eating birdseed a couple of yards away. </font>
    Wow, you actually saw a live racoon? Sorry, this is off topic, but I've never seen a live one in the wild. Just ones which are dead on the side of the road. I love animals so I think that's cool.

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Thanks all for the warm welcome! I have learned a lot from the site alone and the links. I thought my record of no v* was big..I've now seen larger so there is hope!

I have improved over the years. I use to live in total isolations when the sv* was making its rounds. In fact, I might be more of an sv* phobe because I have no problems being around people who v* from things like morning sickness (thank god my wife did not do this much). My mom went through chemo and had to help her there a time or two. And then there are the times a friend or twooverendulge with the alcholic bevs and v*. I know those things will not hurt me. But someone with the sv* I go into sheer panic and strat popping the Dram tabs!

I alway thought I've been doing my body harm by supressing but I guess I have not. I saw on some site that in a general illness, even food poisoning, that by the time the body v*s all the toxins are in the bloodstream already and it does no real good other than give a brief bit of relief from nausea.

Oh! In case you have never seen this it is a must have for the emet's arsenal of protection

http://www.antisepticausa.com/

This stuff kills Norwalk Virus (the leading cause of sv*). Get it, get it, get it!

My mission in life is to find either a ture prevention of the leading causes of sv*. I am not a Dr. nor a scientist but somehow there has to be an herb or somthing that really is a prevention for the sv*!

See...maybe I am crazy!

Welcome to the site Im so glad you found us. us emets need to stick
    together! We aren't freaks we just fear something different than other
    people.
    I love Sam

Quote Originally Posted by chicajojobe

with a racoon eating birdseed a couple of yards away.

Wow, you actually saw a live racoon? Sorry, this is off topic, but I've never seen a live one in the wild. Just ones which are dead on the side of the road. I love animals so I think that's cool.

Youhave never seen a live racoon??? A couple of months ago our Animal Control Officer came in with a hand tamed racoon, and I got to hold it and pet it!! It was one of the best experiences of my life!! I am a big animal lover, and it was once in a lifetime chance. It was so friendly, it followed people everywhere.

Anyways, welcome to the site!! Everyone is great here, and very supportive.

Michele

Welcome, John.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Like you, I can handle v* (don't like it, but can handle it) as long as I know it's not contagious. But if someone near me has the sv, I am a mess. Glad you found the site, and I hope it is helpful to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch04133
    Quote Originally Posted by chicajojobe

with a racoon eating birdseed a couple of yards away. </font>

Youhave never seen a live racoon??? A couple of months ago our Animal Control Officer came in with a hand tamed racoon, and I got to hold it and pet it!! It was one of the best experiences of my life!! I am a big animal lover, and it was once in a lifetime chance. It was so friendly, it followed people everywhere.

Anyways, welcome to the site!! Everyone is great here, and very supportive.

Michele
    Well I have seen live ones on tv, but yeah up close I've only ever seen dead ones. Either on the road or stuffed ones in museums.

A big welcome to the group, John! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Hi and Welcome, John! Re your remarks on Dramamine,I saw it stated in an Immodium advert that it is not harmful to suppress D* (andobviously that goes forv* too) during an SV or food poisoning, since it is your immune system that clears the infection, and not the D*. That's helpful to know.

Off-topic - are racoons scary or dangerous? Hub and I once fed racoons in Florida and they were so cute. We also saw one raiding trash cans in Canada... mind you the latter looked as big as a car... maybe not so cute!

Nah racoons are generally about the size of a small dog, and they're scavengers. They definetly won't attack people...they're more interested in raiding your garbage. However, you shouldn't try to touch them because they will bite you if they feel threatened and they carry rabies. So they're dangerous in one way, but if you leave them alone then not at all.

BTW, John, sorry your introductory post has got off on a tangent about racoons. I know it was my fault [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img].

I was afraid I might come off as a real hillbilly talking about the racoons around our house. I live in a subburb of Des Moines, but in the rural area - lots of woods and fields. We usually have coons living under our deck. They love the sunflower seeds that I put in the feeder.

I normally enjoy watching them. They get rather comical trying to get to everything. They can bite if theyare threatened&amp; they'reknown for carrying rabies (but Ithink you could tell if they had it). We've had them even try to come in the house. They get used to seeing us &amp; get a lot more friendly. When I fix hamburger, I usually let the extra fat set up and put bread, peanut butteror seeds in it for them. It's good for them, especially in the winter.

Here's a couple of my visitors . . . they can be ornery!

ps. we also have opossums - not nearly as cute!
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

I was afraid I might come off as a real hillbilly talking about the racoons around our house.
    </font>
    Oh please! There are racoons which raid dumpsters in New York City.

True . . .

Turtle, you live by Des Moines??? LOL I am about 45 minutes east of Dubuque In bumf*ck Wisconsin!
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

I was beginning to think that I was the only Midwest Emet! Two of my sisters live in Plum City, WI. Not sure how far that is from you.

Sorry, John, we have gotten off topic. It's always exciting to make a connection somehow with people. you'll definitely find that here.

- Susan

I was beginning to think that I was the only Midwest Emet!* Two of my sisters live in Plum City, WI.* Not sure how far that is from you.

- Susan
    Hi there!! I'm a Midwest Emet too! I live about an hour northwest of Chicago. Harmonygirl is also from this area too.
    Nice to know we're not the only ones!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Thanks all! The racoon stories were a great deterant! LOL! We have them around my area in Keller, Texas!

Welcome to the site, John!

I felt an incredible wave of relief when I discovered that I was not alone either. I still remember sitting up at 3am crying, typing "v* phobia" into Google. I was just grasping at straws at that point, hoping someone else was afraid too. And then when I found a whole forum of folks.....wow! I was so happy to know that my phobia was real and not one that I made up.

So, look around, make sure you read Sage's fabulous sticky posts in the Questions section, and again, welcome!

I was afraid I might come off as a real hillbilly talking about the racoons around our house. I live in a subburb of Des Moines, but in the rural area - lots of woods and fields. We usually have coons living under our deck. They love the sunflower seeds that I put in the feeder.

I normally enjoy watching them. They get rather comical trying to get to everything. They can bite if theyare threatened&amp; they'reknown for carrying rabies (but Ithink you could tell if they had it). We've had them even try to come in the house. They get used to seeing us &amp; get a lot more friendly. When I fix hamburger, I usually let the extra fat set up and put bread, peanut butteror seeds in it for them. It's good for them, especially in the winter.

Here's a couple of my visitors . . . they can be ornery!

ps. we also have opossums - not nearly as cute!

Haha- Cute.

Man, where I am from (Northern Ontario, Canada), not only will you likely see a raccoon or 4 wandering around your yard of picking through your garbage at least once a week (more if you are outside in the evening), but you will also see the occassional bear, wolf, and/or coyote making the rounds. LOL- with the bears, they just didn't pick through your garbage, they would take the entire bag back into the forrest with them.

Whats funny though, is we used to have a massive Main Coon who made it his mission to chase the raccoons from the yard- and the raccoons, although much larger, were scared of him!

ANyway- welcome john!

Hey, John! Welcome!

I'm another "Reagan V*er." It's been since December 25, 1987 for me. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] I used to be scared to say the date, but now so much time has gone by, that I feel confident that "karma" or whatever won't cause me to be ill. I may barf again in my lifetime, but talking about my last v* won't cause it.

It's a relief to know you aren't alone! I found this site (well, technically, the site has moved once over the years) in August 2002, and it's the one place I can come to, where I don't feel like a total nutcase. My husband is used to my phobia by now, and sometimes picks on me for it, but is mostly understanding. We don't have kids yet, but I'm anticipating (dreading) the day when I face my kids' v* for the first time. I give you credit for handling it the way you did! My mom was an emet, and she got through it, and I know I will too, along with countless emetophobes through the years.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello! Keep on posting! Edited by: HDogg

Quote Originally Posted by crimgoddess

Man, where I am from (Northern Ontario, Canada), not only will you likely see a raccoon or 4 wandering around your yard of picking through your garbage at least once a week (more if you are outside in the evening), but you will also see the occassional bear, wolf, and/or coyote making the rounds. LOL- with the bears, they just didn't pick through your garbage, they would take the entire bag back into the forrest with them.

Wow, that's so amazing, although I'd be rather alarmed if a bear suddenly popped up whilst I was in the garden, lol! If I looked out the window and saw a wolf wandering by that would make my year,they are my favourite animals. I get excited when we have squirrels and foxes foraging about in the garden!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

welcome !!!

Welcome johnlp!! Isn't it great to see you are not alone? It's good to talk here and let it all out. I actually did cry when I discovered this site and alsowhen Iread the stories for the first time a couple weeks ago. See you around![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Hey! I am a midwest emet AND a Reagan V*er!! How cool! (Dec 9, 1984 here!)

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."