Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Does your emets effect your choice of religeous practices as it concerns common cup communion? What I mean by that, Catholics and Anglican protestants practice the serving of the sacraments by sharing a common cup.

For me (I am an Episcopalian) I think about it and even obcess about it but it still does not stop me from doing it.

Many think the alcohol content (which is 18%) and many churches useuse a Vodka soaked cloth to wipe the drinking surface clean along with using heavy metal chalasis which are suppose to block bacterial growth...well who knows.

I read a study of a CDC research project that determined that while swab samples from communion cups detected viruses and other bacterial eliments they say that their finding do not indicate an increase in illness or spread of illness from the commun cup. in fact, they claim that the greatest spread is still in simple hand shaking while in church.

hmmm, interesting.

I do not want to create new phobias for folks but I was just wondering if anyone else has had their emets influence them in this way?

John - I seem to like your posts. I'm Catholic & can't bring myself to drink out of the communion cup. Wish there was the option of individual cups. I'd be glad to wash them.

As I've said before, it's only sv* that bother me. Other V* situation don't bother me at all. And, colds don't bother me. Now knowing more of how sv* are passed - maybe I should reconsider. Hmmm.

- Susan
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by turtleiam

John - I seem to like your posts. I'm Catholic & can't bring myself to drink out of the communion cup. Wish there was the option of individual cups. I'd be glad to wash them.

As I've said before, it's only sv* that bother me. Other V* situation don't bother me at all. And, colds don't bother me. Now knowing more of how sv* are passed - maybe I should reconsider. Hmmm.

- Susan

I'm right there with you Susan! I fear sv* only and fearif I might v*but if my daughter has strepthroat (which makes her v*) I have no worries and my emets does not kick in. If she or my son or my wife get the sv* or someone around me does......I go full panic emets for about a week.

In most Episcopal churches we have the option to hold on to the host (the bread / waffer) and when the cup comes by they will dip it in the wine then will serve it to you so that you do not have to put your moth on the cup. Religion facinates me. I do see many (I know I should not watch others) pass the cup up because of the "hygine factor".

Yeah I'm Catholic also and the only time I took the cup was on my first
    communion. My dad always takes it and in my almost 18 years of life
    he has never gotten s*. Except with wimpy little colds that last for 3
    days. It's incredible. He eats from those discusting buffets at big ole
    supermarkets and never washes his hands and eats fast food all the
    time and works as a professeur in a big university with a bunch of
    college students. I wish i were him sometimes! But i never take it. And I
    always try to sanitize my hands before taking the host becuase of the
    handshaking and the passing of the money basket. I feel so crazy
    sometimes!!
    ~viva~