Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I woke up this morning at 11, only to find that my mom was very ill with foodpoisoning since about 6am. Last night we ate at J Alexanders, a nice steak and somewhat of a seafood restaurant.I ordered a steak, my dad ordered fish, and my mom had crab cakeswith some type of bernaise sauce. She had stomach ache's and indigestion from about2:00am, and had bad diarhea until about 6:45 at which time she vomited large volumes and was then extremely exhausted for the rest of the day.

I beleive it to be a bacterial infection. However, I'm somewhat suspicious of the cause because my mom had been complaining and nagging the waitresses the whole time during the meal, and the manager even came over to speak with us for 10 minutes...my mom loves to complian about very trivial things in restaurants..very embarassinggggg

do you think we should report this to the health department or the restaurant? Unfortunately this is going to make me more neurotic about eating becuase even very reputable places have poisoned food once ina while it seems.

About a year ago I suspected that my daughter had food poisoning from Famous Dave's Barbeque and I did call and let them know, so I say yes. This way they can maybe take a closer look at how they are doing things and maybe make some positive changes...
    \"This too shall pass\"

The thing is, the only way you are really able to tell food poisoning apart from a regular stomach virus is if she is tested. You can call and make a complaint, but unless they can conclusively say that she was infected with this bacteria, and that the restaurant was the likely source, the accusation is really unfounded. It may be a virus, it may be bacterial- and she may or may not have gotten infected at the restaurant.

Also, if you are calling the restaurant itself to make a complaint- if your mom gave them a hard time, they are probably less likely to take anything that is said to heart. They may just write it off.

I'm not saying don't call anyone- but jut want to give a heads up that not much may be done.

Hope your mom feels better! If it gets worse, do bring her in to the doctor- if she is vomitting and has diarrhea, she will likely get very dehydrated. Once the vomitting starts to subside, try to get her to drink some water or gatorade.....very slowly.

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with Amber (Crimgoddess) you don't know if it's FP without testing, and although you may suspect them it might not be them. I remember years ago I went to eat at The Pewter Mug (A resturant near here) and my sister came down with some sort of vomiting illness that night, everyone else was fine. It might have been the food, or she could have had a virus. I didn't get sick from her, but then again I never caught anything from her but chicken pox.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

my mom, dad, sis and neice all got sick together 1 night...they called it in to tell them so at the coney place and they said no.....it could not have been them and took there name and number. 2 days later they were so sick and the health dept called to check on them and came out to observe them. everyone who ate there had fp for a week...there were over 200 people sickend!!!
    This is Katsamsmom....and i am no longer able to access that account
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email me

Uck, what a nightmare! I hope your Mom is feeling better.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Wouldn't hurt to put a call in, maybe not to be upset (not that you would have been that way to them) but just to let them know, because if by some chance other people have called in, then it definately would be fp. My brother got fp from sonic's eggs, ya don't eat sonic's eggs in the evening, fyi, and he just called them to let them know just in case other's were sick or maybe it made them take a second look at their egg stock. Janna

Well first off it if your mom did have fp it wouldnt be from a
    bacteria, because bacteria takes days to set up, mutate and gestate, if
    she got sick the night after eating it would either be a sv* or from a
    food toxin, which means mishandled food, that even when its cooked
    doesnt change the fact that it is toxic because the bacteria produce
    gas which is the toxin and you cant cook toxin but you can bacteria. I
    hope this info helps. It scares the s*** outta me when I first learned
    all this in my health food safety and saniation class
    I love Sam

It amazes me how easily people get ill in restaurants these days. The main reason why I dont ever eat out. Forty plus years ago you NEVER heard of this s***. people were aleays clean and careful in preparing food, what the hell has happened?

Hi there!!

Oh no!! How horrible!! I hope your mom feels better!!!

[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]I hope your mother gets better. That sounds horrible! I am starting to be reluctant to eat out more now from stories like this. Figures because I had Thanksgiving dinner ata hotel restaurant tonight ( where my boyfriend works-but he insists it isexceptionally cleanbecause it is aVERY fancyplace..we;ll see!!!).

Thank you all for your comments. My mom called the doctor and she thinks its bacterial, but how the hell can you diagnose over he phone anyway ha. She had very odd symptoms though, slight bloated feeling followed by sudden v* apparently, she said she wasnt even that nausious before, it was very spontaneous and she didnt have any stomach cramps at all, just diarhea and vomiting...that seems odd to me, but who knows my mom is on many medicationsfor her seizures andvarious other things that could haveadded someodd effects toher symptoms. Edited by: johnyricer

Don't worry, my grandma is the same way at restaurants, she ALWAYS gives the ppl a hard time, hehe

but ya, I really hope you're mom feels better soon! I really do think you should call the restaurant. Seafood always seems to be really suspicious to me, for some reason, most of the time I hear about ppl getting ill from restaurants, it's from seafood. Which probably explains why you didn't get sick, you had steak. Unless the steaks rotten, it's hard to get fp from it, unless they don't cook it well-done.

how can the doctor diagnos her with bacteria fp* over the phone??
    I love Sam

The rule with food poisoning verses a stomach bug is, food poisoning sets in typically 4-6 hours after eating the infected food. It starts out with BAD cramping and watery d*. The v* sometimes comes, at the end of the cycle.

If you ate dinner late - she may have food poisoning.

I hope she feels better.

The doctor will test her blood and fecal matter for bacteria. Poor thing. She needs lots of rest and liduids.

Nichole