Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: The Holidays

here's my question around the holidays does anyone's emets acts up? Mine seems to get real bad, yesterday it started for me and today it's worse I don't know why this happens maybe the anxiety that surrounds the holidays I have no clue why! but it's really hard to enjoy the holidays when it's like this! Am I alone in this?

Hmmm, not really for me. All of the traveling gets worrisome though. Today I'm just so happy about all of the good food, I don't have time to be flipping out. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] It seems like my emet only get's really bad at school, in the car, or in crowded places. I hope you still have happy holidays.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

It seems like I am always really ill over the holidays....oh well...not really into it this year anyway...Grandma isn't around this year so I'm not looking forward to any of it.

But like I said I for some reason am always really sick over the holidays...I hate it! It never seems to fail me!! My emet does get really bad over the holidays but maybe it's just the time of year that gets me....I hate October through March!
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

Hi there!!

My emet is always bad through the holidays too---I think it's because on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day there have been at least three v* incidents involving my older sister's kids and now I worry about it happening again. Each time one of them was ill my sister knew they were sick, but insisted on bringing them anyways to our family party because she didn't want them to miss out. Ugh!! She really ticks me off---and she's a nurse too.

Still, my emet is always in high gear until Spring at least. I know sv*s can happen in the summer, but for some reason I can handle them better then!

Yeah for me it is really bad. In fact right now I am in a hotel room
    waiting to go to dinner and I have been crying in the car the whole way
    here. Now I have a headache and I am far from hungry and just doing
    really bad. I predicted it though...happens every year!
    ~viva~

I LOVE the holidays but yeah my emet at the very least worries me. Like I think "oh no I hope me or anyone else isn't sick that day" etc. And then cuz there is so much food taht fullness freaks me out sometimes but I still love this time of year because family comes around ya get together w/ friends etc. Oh and you will NOT see me out tomorrow on Black Friday! I know it's a big yay for alot of people but emet aside I'm not that tolerant lol.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I remember talk on here of Black Friday last yuear but I forget what it is, is it something to do with sales in the shops or....something?

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Yeah it's the biggest shopping day of the year, most department stores open at ridiculously early hours and have sales and EVERYONE and their mother is out there shopping. I think it's something to do w/ the retailers are officially out of the red cuz all the shopping or some such nonsense. You can get great deals but to me its not worth putting up w/ people lol.
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I agree totally, it makes me shudder just thinking about that. People get so crazy when there are bargains to be had and I hate shopping at the best of times!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Ya know the holidays are suppose to be a nice family time, good food, etc... well i had to venture to 3 houses yesterday...The first one was the worst because there were going to be children there. So we go there, 4 kids there, one who has a heart condition, was in the hospital the day before with strep throat and an ear ache. So needless to say, he was there, coughin and the mother says, i've seen enough v* yesterday. So here goes my stomach in a knot. She said he was coughing so hard that he was v*. I didn't eat much there, i jsut wanted to get out of there. His 3 sisters were perfrectly fine and he was eatin and drinking pop, so i'm guessing it was just from coughing since he's eating and evertyhing. I'm just freaking out today....should i be?

Quote Originally Posted by adunlavey
    Ya know the holidays are suppose to be a nice family time, good food, etc... well i had to venture to 3 houses yesterday...The first one was the worst because there were going to be children there. So we go there, 4 kids there, one who has a heart condition, was in the hospital the day before with strep throat and an ear ache. So needless to say, he was there, coughin and the mother says, i've seen enough v* yesterday. So here goes my stomach in a knot. She said he was coughing so hard that he was v*. I didn't eat much there, i jsut wanted to get out of there. His 3 sisters were perfrectly fine and he was eatin and drinking pop, so i'm guessing it was just from coughing since he's eating and evertyhing. I'm just freaking out today....should i be?
    Hi there!!
    Sounds like the kid was just v*ing from coughing too much, so I'd say you have nothing to worry about. My son has done that once when he had pnuemonia years ago, and he only v*ed after a nasty coughing spell. Sometimes smaller children do that, but I really don't hear of any adults doing it very often.
    You'll be fine!!!

Thanks for the response. I know i'm being overparanoid about this. It's because a few years ago, no one was sick at christmas, but the next day everyone was v* except me and my father in law. I guess it's just a thing with me worrying about the holidays and what "COULD" happen. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Thanks again...

Aw, yeah I agree it was from so much coughing plus it seems alot of kids v w/ strep anyhow. If he was chowing down and his sisters were OK than I'm sure thats all it was.
    Benjamin Franklin