Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi All,

I haven't been on here in a long time - but I had to come back and get some views, advice etc... so thanks all in advance.

My lifelong dream job is to be a police officer, or a prison officer. Unfortunatly this phobia prevents me from doing that, especally being in England seems like police mostly deal with getting drunks off the street which I couldn't handle.

Anyway, at 19 my passion to work for the police/prison was still so strong that I decided to apply for a job at a prison 20 miles away from me (after chickening out of going to universiry due to my phobia!) as an Part Time Administrative Assistant providing cover for someone who was on maternity leave. I loved the role as it let me get a little bit more involved and made me feel as if I was still doing something. I ovbiously did a good job as within 2 and a half months I got promoted to Administrative Officer, which is a permanant role within the Education department of the prison - my new job involves monitoring absences from class (amungst other things) so I have even more interaction with the place (rather than just photocopying things!) and makes me even more involved..

But when I walk around on the units (or wings, whatever you want to call them) or see the officers on the gate of the education class something just hurts me that I can't do the job. I'd do anything to be able to apply for a job as a police officer, but until I tackle this phobia it will never happen, as if someone were to V* i'd be in the car and driving off faster than the speed of light!!

I'm not saying that I don't like my job, I do I absolutley love it - but I wish I could get that bit more involved and actually do something that makes a big difference. Does anyone else out there feel my pain? Or did anyone give into their dreams and go for the job anyway?

Thanks!!
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

</a>

Hey there. I totally understand where you are coming from. To me it sounds like you are so passionate about this that maybe if you did direct your energy into focusing on what you want your outcome to be- you just might be able to conquer this thing. Never say never. I know it hurts because right now you can't possibly imagine being able to have the career that you have always wanted, but think of all of the school teachers and nurses on this site. Seriously, YOU can do anything. If you really want it, you will get it. This feels all to hypocritical for me since I have also let emet get in the way of my life. But, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Just remember there are people out there who do conquer this thing. Think of Sage. Why not you? And anyone who has a job and contributes to society is making a difference- you are doing what you can do right now. Maybe in 5 years you will be able to do anything you want. Step number one is to believe it's possible. Stop being so down on yourself- okay? Take your time and become as focused as you can and things will work out.
    \"This too shall pass\"

My mom, sister, brother in law, cousins and uncles are all sheriffs deputies. They never have to deal with vomit and they never get sick from working there either. Yeah sure everynow and then you will get the drunk idiot, but it really does not happen that often. My mom has been working in the jail for 15 years and has never dealt with it. I think if it is something you really want to do you should try it. If it is to much for you, you could always quit, but you won't know until you try!!! Good Luck! ~Brandi~

I totally know how you feel!

Lately, I've been pondering my life goals and "what I want to be when I 'grow up.'" I am nearing 30, and still have no idea.I just know what interests me---mostly helping people. I watch lots of Court TV--Forensic Files, Cops, or other crime specials. I also watch Discovery Health Channel--pregnancy/labor &amp; delivery shows mostly. I just enjoy helping people, and learning something in the process. Teaching also appeals to me. I just have no idea what I ultimately want to do! And all of these are relatively high emet risk jobs!

But as time goes by, I'm beginning to think that a few moments of fear, while doing something I enjoy, is a heck of a lot better than doing something "safe" that I hate--like a desk/clerical job. I've been stuck in retail/restaurant/clerical jobs for over ten years, and I am getting sick of it. I want to do something I really enjoy.

I feel where you're coming from! We, as emets, need to weigh the pros and cons of the potential job. What would you be most happy doing? Would the benefit outweigh the risk?

I'm going through the exact situation and could use advice also! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

thanks for your lovely responses... i need to stop getting myself down about it as anyone can do what they want if they really put their mind to it.

another reaon why i applied for the admin post at the prison, was just to get a feel for how it was and what the place is actually like, as i'm a bit sceptical about making judgements off the tv programmes! i wanted to see if icould deal with the nasty situations, such as fights, smash ups etc which first happened when I was in close proximitylast Friday, which did shake me upa bit but only because i'd had the most stressful day from helland my nerves were on very fine threads!It was a nasty smash up though, but it was dealt with well... and as I say only really shocked me because of my nerves!

as its a juvenile prison that i work in, and as my office is by the main gate where the boys come in and out for education, they do try and skip their classes a lot by sacking they feel sick - which does scare me a bit (and would do if i had to be the officer taking them back to the unit) but 99.99999% of the time they say this because they can't be bothered to do their english and maths and want to go back to their cells!

my ideal job is for the police, but prison is still my second best, and a prison officer seems somewhat a bit 'safer' compared to the police for now. i am only 19.. so i've got ages to dip my feet in the water in both departments, and i've definatly rubbed off well where i work so far - and as i've only recently got promoted i'd feel bad if i were to suddenly leap out of the role..
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

With what you mentioned about your car, I might have help for that. When I was a kid my best friend's mom was a cop, so I've been in the back of a squad car before, and, I don't know about in the UK, but here in the US the cars have a bullet proof glass barrier in between the back and front seats. Therefore, if someone vomited in the back of your car it coudn't get on you....of course the bad part is that you'd probably still have to clean it up later, but at least they couldn't do it all over the back of your head.

Sorry if that doesn't help, but I figured it was worth a try.

It seems like this is something you really want to do, so I'd say you probably should do it. Think about it. When you're old don't you think you might regret never going for it?

Well, I am a police/fire dispatcher. I wanted to be a police officer at one point in my life, but I got a job as a dispatcher, and I found I liked that more. I really don't think the reason why I didn't become one really had anything to do with my emet. I just really liked working the radio and dispatching. Its a fun and interesting job. I won't lie, but when your officer you do have to deal with nasty people, and do things that are unpleasant. Like last night we had an apt fire, and my officers pulled a guy out of a buring building, and performed mouth to mouth on a guy who had most of his face burnt off from the fire. Then come to find out he is positive for hepatitis C. Then the other night, we had a girl up in our jail with a rare staff infection, and the ooficers had to touch her. I just couldn't do that!! But God Bless those who can!!!

My intention is not to scare you in anyway, but you need to realize what being a police officer really intales. Like autopsies...I could never do that!! I went one time just to see what it was like, and I really thought I was going to be sick!! The smell, and the insides of a person. I started shaking and almost passed out. It was horrible!! And me being a germaphobe, I just woun't want to touch anyone, but they do wear gloves. And our police officers go on medicals, so when I dispatch them to a medical with someone being sick, I am just glad Im not there.

But working dispatch isn't always fun either. Like last night, I talked to a guy who was trying to kill himself by overdosing on drugs. He started dry heaving on the phone, and I had to listen. It was making me sick to listen to him being sick. And when I worked in a smaller department, I would have to search the female prisoners, which was not pleasant, and our jail cell was right down the hall from dispatch, and there was more than one episode of a drunk v* in the cell and I had to smell it, and see it, which was gross.

But getting all past that, I love my job, I couldn't imagine doing anything else. I do not regret not becoming a police officer, but I commend those who are. I have been around cops all my life, my dad was one, and my boyfriend is one, and most of my friends are cops. They are the best groups of people I ever met, and can't imagine my life being any other way. Now, I hope I didn't scare you, but I am sure you already know what being a police officer means, and I think if this has always been your dream go for it. You will regret it if you don't at least try, and I know you will get used to dealing with certain situations. In fact, I think it would even help your emet because you know you have to do it.

Michele

Welcome back!!

I have always fancied being a nurse becos the sight of blood and gore just doesnt freak me out at all. Ilove watching programmes about operations and particularly enjoyed a recent series onpathology and post mortems,I wouldnt have a problem cutting up a body and investigating the cause of death.

But the thought of having to do full onnurse training and dealing with every aspect of the job including A&amp;E andlots of v* before I could do the job I wanted just puts me right off.

Dont get me wrong I dont mind my job and Im being interviewed next week to take over as Customer Services manager whilst my manager goes on maternity leave, but given the choice (and no emet) I wouldnt be in insurance!!!!

Laney xxx

Hi all again, and once again thank you for your great responses. Ironically i'm typing this to you from work lol.

Michele - thats another job i've looked into a lot (dispatch side of things) I once knew someone who was a communications officer for the police and his job sounded amazing - it's still frontline action but theres the security there that your not actually dealing with it in person - if that makes any sense whatso-ever! He worked a shift pattern with many earlies/lates, working 6 days on and 4 days off, which I could handle. I've always looked for vacnacies for this and am still keeping my eyes peeled as I think it'd be something I would be better a hell of a lot better at in general, and hopfully with my background of working in the prison would give me a one-up over someone who hadn't.

Theres a lot of things that I feel I may not be able to give my all in being an officer, not just down to emet. But I think i'm taking the right route in dipping my feet in and seeing how it goes and what its like.

Laney - thanks for the welcome! I know how you feel... Maybe doing something like I do will help you dip your feet in and maybe go for your goal? You never know if you went for it you may deal with it differently than you think.

Once again, thank you - its great to have some support as its hard to know to turn to with these sorts of questions! xx
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

Hi. Have you looked into playing other parts in the police force, such as being a police community support officer or even looking into doing a bit of voluntary work as a special constable which would give you a taster of things. I don't know whether these would be any 'safer' regards youremet or not.

Good luck with whatever decisions you choose to make!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb