Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi all, this is my first post in this forum and i need help from other emets who had atonsillectomy.

I have recurrent tonsillitis, and now it has gotten worse. i've been taking antibiotics longer than what my dr prescribedto avoid a tonsillectomy because he told me if the antibiotics don't help then the best treatment is to have my tonsils taken out. unfortunately,my chronic tonsillitis has become so severeto the point that when i stop the antibioticthe infection/sore throat/swollen glands immediately come back, accompanied with a choking sensation in my throat that freaks me out.

now i'm faced with the fact that i have to have a tonsillectomy, and i'm scared to DEATH of having the surgery.

I have severe emetophobia, so severe that it has become an obsession. and any feeling or sensation in my throat freaks me out, so my phobia is not just fear of v* but any feeling in my throat or slight sensation that might lead to it.

I'm now on daily antibioticshots because the pills bother my stomach (yes, my phobia is that bad!) i have been taking the shots just to avoid that sensation in my throat. nobody knows about my phobia, because it's usually masked by my OCD (which is caused by my phobia) i tried telling my family but they didn't understand my fear.

I'm scared to death and i haven't been able to sleep much, i need help from emets who had a tonsillectomy. How did your throat feel? did u have a strong choking sensation ? how long did it last ? how was it compared to tonsillitis or strep throat ? sorry for the long post..but i'm very scared[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img].

My boyfriend had a tonsil-adenoidectomy over the summer, and I was scared sh*tless that he was going to be out of it and vomit everywhere. I picked him up from the hospital, and he was completely gray and a bit woozy, but nothing happened. He got some occassional nausea- but nothing severe enough for him to think he was going to vomit. It was usually a sign that he needed some liquids and another dosage of his painkillers (which- by the way- rocked. Made the pain go away, and put him out for a few hours).

As for the choking sensation- I asked, and it didn't feel anything like that- his throat just felt really tight and sore. He also felt the need to spit, because for the first two days it was a bit too painful to swallow. According to him, for the first two days it was very painful, but the meds worked great and so did sipping cold water or ginger ale. After that, it still hurt for a bit and made eating normal food problematic, but normal Tylenol worked for this, and he became a big fan of smoothies. Now, things are fabulous- his tonsils used to be so bad it caused sleep apnea- now things are clear, and he can breathe a lot better. It has even improved his speech, as earlier he had a bit of a slur.

Honestly- I would say go for it. They cauterize them now, so it's a fairly quick procedure (in the hospital in the morning, out by afternoon), and you lose very little blood. If you are really worried, they can also prescribe you an antiemetic- but you may not even need one.

Goodluck!

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Mom had them out as a a kid way back when when ya had to stay overnight and she didn't v and she's not emet and would rather v than feel n. If others don't know or understand emet at least fill your doctor in and tell him/her that you need antiemets w/ the anethestia (sp) and maybe they will even write you a prescription for some for home. I know its not the same but my uncle just had double hernia surgery (abdomon) w/ general anesthesia and never even got n and he's a HUGE hypochondriac lol.Good luck to you!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

My son had his tonsils and adenoids out a couple of years ago. He never v* or even felt like it. I was surprised because I was 100% sure he would v*. But he was fine and I am so glad we did it. Good Luck! ~Brandi~

Okay...Im gonna level with ya...I had my tonsils out 2 years ago and it was PURE HELL. But he's the silver lining....the pure hell part had nothing to do with v*!!!!

I dont mean to scare you more than you already are, but though some people feel this is a minor surgery to be having, I think it's a more serious one because of the pain afterwards. Im just trying to prepare ya!

Don't even think about eating ANYTHING for the first few days...you won't be able to swallow. Not even Ice cream! Let ice chips melt in your mouth and stuff and try to drink as much water as you can. Avoid hot things like tea and stuff because it'll burn the s*** outta your throat. Don't talk....use a pen and paper or hand signs to communicate with people. The third day after you surgery is usually always the worst. I had a little bit of n* with mine but it only lasted for a few hours and then I never had it again. And I never once v* even from the anestesia! I was on Codine afterwards and it worked wonders! It was the only way I could sleep.

I have to tell you though, I had it so rough because my tonsils were the size of golf balls. I had a hard time swallowing because of them and it took me almost 6 months for my throat to stop hurting after the surgery. Again, this was only because my tonsils were HUGE. But guess what!! They are growing back! Yup folks it does happen...my tonsils are actually growing back but there is no way in HELL I am getting them out again!!

I hope everything goes well...You will be just fine...its gonna hurt like hell for a while but I doubt you'll v*! I have a very sensitive stomach and I didn't!!! Good luck! Keep us updated!!

Hey there, I have had tonsillitis for years now. It flares up about 2 maybe 3 times a year. I get all these nasty white "pus" sacks (gross I know) on my tonsils and they swell up and look like huge softballs! I have been to the doctor and have asked them to please take them out as it is very painful when they do flare up but my doctor has told me no, that my tonsils are the first thing to fight off other viruses and that my case is not severe enough....you on the other hand sound like you have a bad case! You need to get them out. You will be fine! Think of how much better you will fell without a sore throat!!!
    Christi
    *^**^***^****^*****^******^**
    Proud Mommy to Zachary

i had my tonsilles out when i was a kid, and i remember getting as upset as you did - but after having them out i remember thinking 'is that it'! my throat felt abit scratchy, but just as if i'd had a sore throat with a cold - and felt a bit hazy, but after a sleep i was fine, up about and eating chocolate cookies! I know how you feel because if I were to be told that I'd have to go into hospital i'd be freaking out... but please try not to worry as my experience was find.. infact i have fond memories of eating lots of crisps, ice cream and cookies!
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

I had mine out when I was nineteen, and yes, it was awful painful, I won't lie. I never felt n* at all though. But you know they never gave me any pain medicine that worked, it was just a little bit of some liquid stuff that had no effect, so I think now you could get some good stuff. It did take me several months before I felt normal again, but I lost weight! Everything will go fine, just tell them what you want beforehand, and they will give it to you in your iv. (Anti n*, pain meds, etc.) Janna

eww I don't even wanna think about it. I had mine out when I was 4 but i can still kinda remember it. I remember that I didn't v* and I never felt n* but the throat pain was HORRIBLE. and it bled sometimes....it was so painful that when my mom tried to give me my medicine, I spilled the medicine all over the place. OMG so bad... *shivers*

The older you are...the more painful it is!!! I had mine out when I was 15 and it KILLED...I neve wanna experience it again!!!

15?!?! holy crap! [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]that's my age now... wow I can't even imagine being able to do that. heck I'd rather v* than do that! OMG...

my dance teacher had to get hers out like, 4 years ago. and she was like 22

ehhh I have to say I would actually rather go through that again then v* lol.

Well i had mine out 10 years ago when i was 25 as i hadtonsillitus really bad and although the pain wasvery badfor the first few days afteri had it done i was so glad i did as within the space of a few months after i felt so well, not having all that infection constantly going round my system. In fact i feltconstantly nauseaus with the tonsillitus so it was a real reflief to get rid of them! It's well worth getting it done as you will feel so much better in the long run, also explain your concerns at hospital and i am sure they will help you, they don't want you to be nervous and they will try and make it as comfortable for you as possible.

Good luck hun

Trinity x

white "pus" sacks (gross I know) on my tonsils and they swell up and look like huge softballs!

Yeah I get these too. And they smell really bad

Thanks guys for your replies , I'm so glad i found this forum where i can talk to people who understand what i feel.

I keep hearing the older you get the more painful it is. I'm 19, but i don't have very huge tonsils. my doctor said i would experience a lot of pain, i asked him about the n* he said they would give me anti-emetics during the surgery, but my main concern is the n* afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by tootpla
    Again, this was only because my tonsils were HUGE. But guess what!! They are growing back! Yup folks it does happen...my tonsils are actually growing back but there is no way in HELL I am getting them out again!!
    I'm sorry that your tonsils are growing back, but if they're not causing any problems there shouldbe noreason to remove them, right ?

i have a sensetive stomach, and i'm scared that the sore throat would make me nauseated. I would appreciate if someone could describe the pain, is it a swelling kind of pain? sharp pain when swallowing ? tonsillitis kind of pain but 10 times more? etc..

i would like to hear more experiences with tonsillectomy from fellow emets