Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Therapy

I am currently going into therapy. I've had 2 sessions to understand whats wrong. I really hate the woman that iis going to 'cure' me. Its soannoying. I really want to get better but this woman annoys me so much! I have a session tomorrow and i've said i'l go casue I dont know how she's going to make me better. Also I really hate traveling and I have to do a half ohur car journey. She now wants me to see her somewhere else which is an extra 10 mins and even though I could survive the journey I still would panic so much. I might just no do this but my mum and I both want me to get better. We've gone private and on the NHS but they havent replyed yet. Its so horrible what should I do???And how should I handle my mum and go about this? Should I just put up with it or just not get better? Its so hard

Well, you probably know my opinion by now, but I'll repeat it again for the sake of anyone new.

I don't think you can get better, much less "cured" in therapy with someone you don't like. The relationship is primary. If you think she can help you a bit, then go into it with a small bit of expectation, rather than high hopes. Look for someone warm, kind, caring and really knowledgeable. They're out there...but they take some hunting down.

All the best!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanx sage! I think I find talking to younger people easier. Not sure why. maybe casue I feel they can relate to me. hmm This woman is about 56 ish. Oh well I 'l see how it goes tomorrow!!

What is it that you dont like about your therapist? I know that it IS key to be in touch and comfortable with who you are speaking with so I would do as was suggested above and find one that you ARE comfortable being with and talking to.

I just know that my mom HATED her new doctor didn't feel like she could talk to him and wanted to switch and she got this feeling just from the first few visits but then after a few visits she was sooo glad that she stayed with him somehow they connected and couldn't believe she thought he was a prude or blah blah blah.

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

i agree with you Izzy, i ALWAYS find i can get on with younger adults better than older adults... my psychiatrist is old, and i dont like him very much at all. my social worker is young and shes lke my best friend now.

but i agree with Sage, i think relationships are very important, so if ur not happy, u dont hav the greatest chance to getting "cured"

good luck anyway, with whatever u choose to do.

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN: