Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi everyone,

I hope you all are having "good" day today. I actually had a
    question for anyone who wants to answer.How long after a v**
    episode, either yourself or someone else, does it take you to
    "recover"? I had a horrible experience just this past weekend
    regarding my son and I was pretty much out of commission for 3
    days...my low of lows. I am just starting to feel better today but still
    feel a bit "raw".I decided after speaking with my Dr to start
    Lexapro. I started it last night and this morning I just feel sort of out
    of it, and a little dizzy. But I will try anything to help alleviate this
    mental torture. I also take Klonopin in the morning and Xanax at
    night.

Thanks for any replies.

{{HUGS}}
    Jen
    Mom of 4

Hi Jen -

I had an episode last year that lasted over a week. I now realize it was my own fault. Embarrassing part . . . my husband and I were "messing" around & heard our daughter v*. He normally helps the kids, but all of a sudden, he went running to the other bathroom & v*. That was my nightmare of all nightmares. I hated every minute of the next couple of days just waiting.

If I had known that you can't catch it from salivia, I would have been much better. Instead, I figured that I was already "exposed" so I relaxed the vigilant hand washing etc.and decided that it was my fate to catch it. And, you guessed it . . . I came down with it 4 days later. I can truely say though, the 4 days of waiting and anticipating were BY FAR worse than the actual illness. Once I had the illness, I slept all day and was much better the next day. I still wasn't 100% physically for about a week, but emotionally was great because the worry part was over.

Ironic that it feels "freeing" to experience it & realize I made it just fine. I just wish I didn't have to go through the anxious moments of "what if I get sick?" "What if this pillow (towel, dish, sink, floor, dog, fork, food) is contaminated?" I can't stand the "What if's". Does anyone know how to get through that part???

Dunno if this helps at all . . .

Susan
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

Hi there!!

I can't speak about myself v*ing (it's been so long, knock on wood!), but when my son does I feel very anxious and nervous for quite a few days afterwards. I shake, panic, cannot eat and constantly question him for days. I cannot sit still---cleaning, pacing around. The whole time I worry about catching it myself as well. It's a nightmare!

He caught a sv* a several years ago when I was out of town and he was staying with my mom, and it was a nasty one. I was terrified to come home, as awful as that sounds. I was on the phone with him and he told me his tummy hurt and felt funny, and I just broke out in a sweat and started to panic. And I was hundreds of miles away at the time---go figure!!!

Whenever he gets ill I feel the same way as you do. It can be really rough having this phobia and being a mom! It does get better, though, and you WILL feel better. It just takes a little time, but it does pass!! I know I'm like that when my son v*s, but after a few days or so I return to my normal self.

hi, when i was ill a couple of weeks ago i was sick for 12 hours ish and took me a few days to get back to normal again and re-gain my stength, i gave myself 5 days after the v* had stopped befor i did anything that might have set me back again. (resting basically)

after I myself have v*d, from what I remember, it took about 48 hours or so. I remember when I'd have nights where I v*d, and my mom gave me juice, and then I'd wake up just fine the next day.

I think w/ me, what really scares me about v* is wondering how many times it'll happen within a given time period. Like, if it's just once and then I'm fine for years after its like "oh, oK" and I don't mind it.

when someone else v*s it usually takes me a few days to get over it. The first time i ever witnessed a v* incident though, it took me years to get back on track. I swear I used to have panic attacks sooo regularly it ain't even funny. And that was when I only feard others v*, and not myself

This past March, my oldest daughter had it...she was actually v* for about 12 hours, but she was out of comission for 4 days. I kept her home from school. Some bugs are nastier than others!! Good luck my dear!

yup. I don't know why, but is it just me or are non-emets LUCKIER when it comes to sv*? it seems like they're always the ones w/ the one-day bugs. While emets have to deal with their kids being sick for DAYS and days. (cuz, of course, we're never the ones who are sick *knocks wood*)

Do you mean physically or mentally? Physically everyone seems about right on how long to bounce back. How about mentally? It used to take me a month or more to bounce back from replaying everything in my head. Sometimes it still takes me a long time, I guess it depends on the incident. How about everyone else? Do you have flashbacks?</font>

The last time I vomited my phobia was practically non-existent. I felt crappy for like a half hour then I just went in the bathroom and (how sad is this?) vomited all over the floor. My mommy cleaned it up and within five minutes I felt better. The next day I was 100%. Imagine if it was always like that, worry free and over within 10 minutes. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]That would be the best.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Yes, that is what I meant andee....mentally how long does it take you
    to bounce back.The extreme panic for me starts to subside after a
    few days, but the event just replays in my head over and over and
    over for a long time.And I hate it when someone you have been in
    close contact with (kids, husband/wife, friends, etc) has been v**
    and then you start obsessing about every little feeling you get in your
    stomach and you start over analyzing how everyone else is acting
    and feeling. It is so all-consuming. Like yesterday my 5 year old
    was sitting eating lunch and I was sitting next to him. He covered his
    mouth with his hand and said "uh oh". I said "What??" And he said
    "you know..." And in that brief second I felt this huge wave of panic
    and then he uncovered his mouth and burped.[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]Thanks
    to everyone who replied...I figured I was not the only one who felt
    extremely overwhelmed after a v** episode.

Jen

Hay Guys

I had an episode last Sunday, while driving with a girlfriend in the car, in traffic leaving a football game she announces that she's n*, so immediatly I am in all out panic because I have no exit because I was driving. So of course I start a million questions, are you ok? are you gonna be ok? I need to pull over? Just going crazy. Then she asked her son for a bag and I wanted to drive that car straight over a bridge.

So we stopped at a mall, and she did it right in the car in a bag. I had one of the worst panic attacks that I've had in a while, I was shaking UNCONRTOLLABLY, panicing I would rather be stabbed. I use to pride myself on being a good friend but there was nothing that I could do for her, I even threatened to have my husband come and get me. To make a long story short I still haven't recoverd from that.

It was just way to close for comfort, and on top of that people at work this week have been saying my son V*d all night, so and so it out sick, I am going BONKERS. So I haven't recovered yet because it seems like it's all around me. I wish I could just live on an island alone. Why does the world have to V** I hate life sometimes because it's so hard to deal with this aspect of my life.

the last time I v* it took me 4 days to recover. Good thing that the following day was a Friday, so I called in to work. I slept most of the weekend and gave my body time to chill out and I was fine by monday. my whole body just ached...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the last time I v*ed it took me 24 hours to physically bounce back, I didn't eat anything for 24 hours but after that I went to burger king and had a whopper....LoL. Mentally I still have flash backs about it, not ALL The time, but when Passover comes around because I'm SO SURE that it was the Matzah that made me v* so I get all paranoid and make my mom tell me if there's Matzah in anything she's cooked over that week or so....LoL.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!