Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I mentioned in another post that they were testing our recently acquired 14 year old beagle for Cushings disease- which is common in the breed, and he is showing some of the signs (distended 'pot bellied' stomach, frequent urination, excessive panting, etc).

The vet called with his results- he doesn't have Cushings.....but his kidney reads are low. She thinks that he is starting to experienceliver failure, which is making his brain swell and causing him to drink in excess. We are bringing him tomorrow morning to have a liver enzyme test to be sure....if he is there is nothing we can do. We will likely have to give him liver enzymes, but beyond that its only a matter of time.

We have only had him for a month, but are very attached- I know the previous owners didn't know there was anything wrong- we wouldnt have known ourselves had we not brought him in for a routine check-up. I just hope that things won't start to go downhill fast, and that he still has some time before he is suffering so much we have to put him down.

I am getting ahead of myself here- he doesn't have jaundice in the eyes or gums, so he still might be ok. I shouldn't assume the worst before I have the results.

So.....tomorrow send good vibes Tyler's way! Hopefully he is just a fat old dog who likes to guzzle water, and there is nothing horribly wrong with him.

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*sends good vibes now and tomorrow* poor doggie. I hope hes okay
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh my goodness poor little guy!!! Me and Harley (my very lazy old basset hound) are sending positive thoughts your way!! Let us know how it turns out.

Oh, I'm so sorry....The poor little beagle!! [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]I had a heartworm scare with my beagle when she was younger--they told me she had heartworm after I took her in for her shots. They had to retest her to make sure, and I was a basket case! I cried for 2 days until the vet called me back and told me she didn't have it, and was in fact extremely healthy.
    Dogs become part of your family, don't they? Like children, in fact. I always say my beagle is "my little girl"!
    Oh, I hope all goes well for him tomorrow! Let us know what's going on!!

Oh no the poor sweetheart. I hope he is ok. Sending healing and positive vibes his way. Give him abig cuddle from me.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Thanks guys.....we just dropped him off at the vets (by the way- poor Ty is VERY pissed about having to fast since 6pm last night). We will be picking him up late this afternoon, and hopefully be getting his test results by tomorrow. I did give him a big cuddle before the assistant brought him to the back!

He is like my baby- him and the cats. I won't be getting much sleep until I get the results back....and it's going to be weird not having his snoring body hogging the couchnext to me while I do some schoolwork this afternoon.

*amber*

Amber, I will be thinking of you and praying for Tyler.

Aww I too will be thinking of Tyler. Hopefully it will all be a-ok.

Oh I feel so bad for you. I just bet he'll be fine. Me and my husband adopted a puppy from the animal shelter and didn't know that she had kennel cough and parvo. She lived through both when we didn't think she stood a chance. Your little fella will be fine I feel sure.

It's horrible when our pets are sick. Wishing for good results for Tyler.

Thanks guys

We are still waiting for the results- if we dont get them by end of day today, we have to wait until monday! Arg, it will be a long weekend.

I'll let you know what happens....tonight we are getting his pic taken with Santa, so I will have an updated picture to post!

*amber*

Hopefully you'll hear some good news soon. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!

The vet JUST called and the results came back perfectly normal! The vet may be a bit stumped as to what is causing him to drink so much water, but at least we know it is likely nothing fatal.

Next week, we will be starting a water deprivation treatment (decreasing his water on a daily basis to see if he can concentrate his urine on his own). If it turns out that he can concentrate his urine on his own, it means that it is all psychosomatic. There was recently a big change in his life (ie- moving from the family he has known for 14 years to a new place and a new lifestyle), so he may be a bit stressed and be drinking in excess because of it. That just means we have to regulate how much water he is allowed in the space of a day.

WOOHOO! I am so happy Keep your fingers crossed that the urine tests next week go well- if they do, that is the end of all of this and we know whats going on. If he can't concentrate his urine on his own and he becomes dehyrdrated, back to the drawing board.....

*amber*

In addition to the good news, here is our pic of us with Ty and Marbles (that was supposed to be with Santa). The SPCA set up a booth at the mall to get your pets pic taken with Santa- but when we showed up, they were closing down because the weather was so bad. Santa had already left....but they let us take the pic with the props that were set up!

We had brought Mysti too- but she REFUSED to come out of the carrier. Oh well, what can you do!

*amber*

ps- you cant tell by the pic, but not only is Marbles shaved, but he is wearing an xmas collar.

[img]uploads/images/crimgoddess/D3B_Xmas06007.jpg[/img]

pps- chris is still in his scrubs because I just snagged him to come as he was finishing a 12 hour ICU shift. Dork, lol.

Aww that pic is adorable!! I am so glad that Ty is okay! Lol Marbles looks like she wants to get outta there!

Thats a great pic Amber! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Glad to hear everything is okay!! And what an adorable picture of all of you!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

That's great news! I hope the urine tests come back clear too. Love the photo, btw!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Sorry I'm a bit (okay, alot) late to this post. It's great to hear the good news about Tyler! I know how much your pets mean to you. I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed that next week's urine tests go A-OK! Let us know how it all goes.

P.S. I love the Christmas picture! Too darn cute!!!

Yay! I'm glad that he's okay. He's such a cutie! Very festive shot by the way! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    \"This too shall pass\"

I just wanted to say thanks again for all the well-wishes, they are definitely appreciated

Galadriel- Marbles DEFINITELY wanted to bolt.....he was so not down with being outside in the rain in hail, and then coming inside where the vaccuum was going and loud xmas music was playing. I'm sure that if he was in a carrier and not leashed, he would have pulled a Mysti

Sheri- my animals are definitely my babies......I like them more than most people, because if they are anything they are honest.

The vet left a message yesterday- we will be bringing him in for a prostate exam (I wonder how he's going to like that), and then starting the water deprivation program. I will definitely let you guys know the results!

He has actually had more energy lately, likely because of the snow (he loves winter)- I am taking this as a good sign! He has also lost about 5 lbs.....woohoo!

*amber*