Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: How much do you retch before you vomit?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all

12 20.34%
  • Once or twice

35 59.32%
  • Three or four times

5 8.47%
  • More than four times

4 6.78%
  • I’m not completely sure what retching is

3 5.08%

Thread: Retching

I'm trying to answer a question somebody asked on my site. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't really remember. It's been a while *knocks wood* but I do know that there were times were I retched 4 like an hour before even getting to the v*

whats retching ??

I'm more afraid of the painfulretching then the actual v*.

<center>
    </center>

Punchbuggy, retching is the spasmodic breathing movements that happen right before vomiting. When they happen by themselves, without vomiting, they are usually called "dry heaves."

I have retched before and didn't v**. It was just like it happened a few times while I was feeling n* and then stopped, and I felt better immediately and was fine the next morning.

WEIRD.

BandNerd
    BandNerd

I retch a lot, but before v* I retched too many times...like the whole day, about at least 20 times.
    You only live once

This could be a stupid question....what is your site Doug? [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Usually once or twice for me or so I remember, sometimes I used to get really nauseous and then after an hour or so I'd retch and then feel better....what's up with that?

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Petey, my site is the Emetophobia FAQ. FAQ stands for "frequently asked questions." I have one FAQ about emetophobia and another about vomiting.They areat http://faq.emetophobia.net

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1
    Petey, my site is the Emetophobia FAQ. FAQ stands for "frequently asked questions." I have one FAQ about emetophobia and another about vomiting.They areat

OMG it is you! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] *ahem* You're thefisrt site I found about emet. I called my mom and read it to her over the phone. Your site is wonderful and open my families' eyes to emet. [/fanatic]Edited by: new.slang
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Quote Originally Posted by new.slang

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1
    Petey, my site is the Emetophobia FAQ.* FAQ stands for "frequently asked questions."* I have one FAQ about emetophobia and another about vomiting.**They are*at

OMG it is you! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]* *ahem** You're the*fisrt site I found about emet.* I called my mom and read it to her over the phone.* Your site is wonderful and open my families' eyes to emet.* [/fanatic]
    Blushes. Why thank you, Maddy. Where are you? We miss you in IES.

I never experienced this before.

I just v*.

I actually never even really gagged before, or v* because of gagging.

I even gagged for the first time a few months ago(dog took a fresh dookie in the morning where my gag reflux is bad) and didn't v* [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

So what's the difference between dry heaving,gagging and retching?

Good question.

Princeton dictionary lists dry heaving as a synonym for retching. It says that it is "an involuntary spasm of ineffectual vomiting".

Merriam Webster dictionary lists dry heaves as " repeated involuntary retching unaccompanied by vomit ".

Looks like there isn't a big difference.

And since my previous post in this thread was a declaration of my devotion to Doug apparently, I'll answer the question now.

I've never retched before v* but I have retched without v*.

Maddy, you are looking up words about vomiting in dictionaries? That's a sign of a pretty serious emet ... or a very smart girl!

Doug, counting the days until Maddy turns 18 ... 246

Oh, my emet isn't too serious so by default that makes me smart. Yes! Haha.

Oh man, 246 isn't long at all. How exciting. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

i've heard that if you're relaxed and ready to let the v* just come out,
    no holding back, that you'll retch much less if at all than if you're tense
    and trying real hard not to v*. bandnerd, that's happened to me before
    too!!

Well, what about gagging then? I gagged once(which I never have done) and didn't v*.I don't know why because it was a full fledged gag.

I think gagging is the protective reflex in your throat that keeps stuff from going down your trachea, and it can be (but not always) accompanied by dry heaving. People gag when they v* to keep it from going into their airway, and they will also gag when something touches the back of their throat to keep foreign objects away from the trachea.
    ~ Natalie