Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Controlling V*

I read a lot about how Emets can get a sv* and NOT v*.

How in the world can you control this?

In all the times I have been n*, I v*...Can't help it.

Am I missing something?

Teach me.

It's very strong mind over matter.I've had at least three sv*s where I was able to control it. Although, the last two sv*s I had, I did v*. Sorry, I guess I don't really have any tips on this, but I'll be interested to see if anyone else has some useful info.

Hmm, not sure in relation to stomach viruses, but try if you can to ease n* by breathing slowly, fresh air, lying down, etc. Like sometimes, if you have d*, you feel a bit light-headed and n* afterwards, but it is something to do with changes in blood pressure.

For car sickness and stuff, try the usual ginger, looking ahead, don't read in the car, etc.

Mentally, use the power of your mind to control your body. Convince your brain it does not need to v*. I think about being very grounded, very connected with the earth, unable to move, like an anchor.

Having said all of this, maybe sometimes the deed must be done. Two years ago I had been on holiday down in London, and had felt a bit off for a day or so. On the 6 hour train journey home, I felt terrible. The air-conditioning had broken and I endured 4 hours of n*. By the time we were approaching Edinburgh, I had to do the evil deed, but it took seconds and I felt a hell of a lot better afterwards - I could stand up and wasn't doubled up. I guess sometimes your body knows best! lol

PS-If you get an sv, I think it depends how many particles you ingest/how strong your immune system is on how you will feel. Might just get d*.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemed

Having said all of this, maybe sometimes the deed must be done. Two years ago I had been on holiday down in London, and had felt a bit off for a day or so. On the 6 hour train journey home, I felt terrible. The air-conditioning had broken and I endured 4 hours of n*. By the time we were approaching Edinburgh, I had to do the evil deed, but it took seconds and I felt a hell of a lot better afterwards - I could stand up and wasn't doubled up. I guess sometimes your body knows best! lol

Hi snakemed.This is actually my worstfair in the world-being n* and possibly v* on a train where I cannot huddle in a corner andv* in a bagwithout people seeing me right across where I am sitting.Are you saying you v* on the train ( since you said it was when you were approaching Edinburgh that you did it)? Thanks.
    -Bridgette

One key way to control vomiting is breathing. There is a breathing pattern that must occur before vomiting can happen. Usually there will be 2 or 3 deep breaths before itcan happen. If you just breath normal and concentrate on not vomiting, usually the urge will pass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What part of Bama Mary?

I am in Bham.

Doug (Gumdropper1) knows some info about this. Try PM-ing him.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

somehow, going outside getting fresh air always helps me.

The brain is a powerful thing - some Buddhist monks can slow their heartbeats down to one per minute. Mind over matter indeed!

The other factor to consider is that vomiting is seldom if ever "necessary" - it's something left over from our evolutionary past, and the evolutionary past of other mammals and it doesn't do much to help us. For instance, when you have a norovirus ('stomach virus') vomiting is completey useless to help you get over the virus. The virus has already multiplied by the zillions in your intestine, and you've mounted a huge immune response. Vomiting doesn't "get rid of" anything.

Similarly, with food poisoning. You can vomit up the food, but the bacteria has already gone all through your system.

There are some instances of ingesting poisons that vomiting will help get rid of a large amount of the poison, but that's about it.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

i have controlled notv*ing since i was 7. I have no idea how. Ive survived a lot of things with out v*. like in things where normal people would. I have swallowed bleach on accident and i just got the hiccups. I have had a baby, about 80% of women in labor V*. i dont know if it is because i didnt get an epidural or if it was just cause i got lucky. I even had my labor started with pitocin, which has a high rate of making people V*. I didntlet them start the labor until they got an antiemetic ready in the case i would get naseous. I think that was the only time in my life i wasnt nauseous. does any one else have nausea all day, every day? I went to the doc. yesterday to see if i had some kind of stomach problem. I had an ultrasound on my organs ( stomach,etc) to see if my stomach was properly digesting the food. I will know the results in a couple of days. Edited by: afraid213

Ginger-saves, don't worry. Having to v* on the train was not nice, but I did it. I should have said that I did go into the train toilet to do so, and I made sure I cleaned up and washed my hands lots after just incase it had been a virus (don't think it was tho)

Sorry, don't be scared of trains. I'm sure it was quite unusual. My Mum suffers from motion sickness but the only moving thing she can read and write on is the train!

xxx

I think if you're body is really and truly ready to v* it will happen with just enough warning to get in to the bathroom. Although there was one time were I did really and truly think it would happen (October 2004) and i even went to the toilet (which is a rare occasion for me) but i could slowly feel myself calming down and saying "well, there's no turning back now, it's gonna happen" and I just breathed slowly and deeply. but surprisingly, it just didn't happen! And I just sat there for like an hour. but finally I decided to get up, grab some saltine crackers to eat and I felt better. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

snakemed, the trains in Boston don't have toilets Can you believe that? haha..I think the ones in the suburbs do.For years I took the train to various jobs until I just felt so n* and close to v* one day ( but I didn't, thank god). It traumatized me after that. I am going to start slowly facing it each week somehow. I have to get over this. I have my emergency medication to take in case I have a full blown panic attack. Thanks.
    -Bridgette

Hi Kasey, I have had that similar question before and I don't get it either. I am sooo afraid that the extreme panic and fear makes me n* and sometimes "it" happens. That ticks me off because I feel like it only happened out of panic. I sure wish I could control my body better. Then I wouldn't have panic attacks either!!!</font>

MaryContrary-

You said that you take a few deep breaths before it happens, but I thought it was the short breaths and the hyperventilating that does it.....I might be wrong though.

As for me when I feel nauseousI don't know how I stop it from happening I just do, sometimes it takes a few hours, but ot usually goes away.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Hi,

I am new to this site and I am happy to see that I am not crazy like everyone has said I am. My biggest fear in the world is throwing up. I am 23 now and I have not thrown up since I was 10. I don't know how I haven't done it yet because sometimes, on occassion, I get really drunk but I still dont do it. I feel sick every day of my life though and it really sucks. I was ready to give up hope last night, but then I found all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful

Hi,

I am new to this site and I am happy to see that I am not crazy like everyone has said I am. My biggest fear in the world is throwing up. I am 23 now and I have not thrown up since I was 10. I don't know how I haven't done it yet because sometimes, on occassion, I get really drunk but I still dont do it. I feel sick every day of my life though and it really sucks. I was ready to give up hope last night, but then I found all of you.

I remember how relieved and happy I was when I found this site...Trust me, We all understand...I feel s* everyday also...You are among good people here and everyone is so supportive.

I've had about 5 sv's and never v*. The last time I v* was when I was 6 years old, I'm now 25 going on 26. I can only remember v*ing twice in my life. The last time I did so I believe it was because something didn't agree with my stomach and the time before that it was from a sv. Anyhow, I came very close to v*ing a few times but I honestly will not allow myself to do so. I can recall one time about 3 years ago I got a terrible 24 hour sv. I had to v* so bad and I could feel my stomach retching and everything. At the time I also had a bad cold and when I thought I was going to v* I also had to cougH. I knew if I coughed I would v* so basically I just held my breath. I can remember telling myself, "Tanya don't do it, you can't do it." My eyes were watering so bad and I just sat there holding back and it passed about 20 seconds later. The same thing happened about 3 more times that evening and it's funny because after the weird episodes I felt so much better as though I had actually v*ed. For me it has been mind over matter but I just fear that one day I won't be able to controll it and I will v*. I noticed it gets more difficult each time to resist the urge when I get real nauseous. I got a bad sv two years ago from my son and this one I only had real bad diarrhea. I wasn;t even nauseous with that one.
    Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus.- Colossians 3:17

i'm not sure how to prevent it. i had morning sickness - unrelenting intense nausea for more than 2 months - and never was actually sick. i would come close and gag but somehow i didn't actually lose it. i even got as far as the mouth watering- stomach tightening phase. i went outside for fresh air, thought of other things and focused on keeping what small amount of food i had in. (i really needed to, because i did end up in the hospital once for dehydration) i think when it got really bad, I took deep breaths, but I don't really remember how i did it.Whenever I've had a sv though, I haven't been able to stop it, but the last time I had one, it came on fast and I wasn't expecting it.

You know sometimes I wish I COULD v*. That sounds so crazy, but for me the anticipation of it coming is the worst. So I have sat there by the toilet for an hour with the hypersalivation and heave-y feeling, actually wanting to get it out and feel better, and could not. My brain is set on not v*, but I don't know if the feeling right before is just as damn awful as the actual deed. So I may have that right before feeling for literally hours, and then be n* for days. I agree that v* serves no purpose, I've read that so many times from so many different sources. But I remember one time that I ate like four pieces of pizza and a candy bar, and then an hour later got my son's sv, it hit me so fast and hard, and I needed to get that pizza out of my body to feel better, but it felt like it sat for a really long time, and nothing helped. And I really feel like if I would have v* once to get it out, I would have felt better. But of course I didn't, I just sat with a basin and my stomach heaved, but no redemption. I'm half thankful that I just really don't v*, and half really envious of people that can just do it and feel better. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] Janna

Hi everyone, Sooooo glad I found you guys. I have had this problem all my life and I hate to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one. Only people that have this can truly understand what we go through on a daily basis. I fell n* everday and it really ticks me off. My doctor gave me Reglan, sometimes it helps and sometimes not. It makes me really jittery and sometimes sleepy. They told me I had IBS, but I think they tell you that when they don't know what is wrong. Does anyone have a miracle for n*? I've tried ginger and that only works so long. Thanks

I think some people just have more sensitive stomachs than others. I don't think it necessarily has to do with being an emet. My husband almost NEVER pukes, and when he does it's usually after forcing himself for an hour in order to feel better.

I know my stomach is very strong and nothing makes me throw up (knock on wood) and I happen to be an emet.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

Ok, hold on guys, my question to all of you first of all is how do you know you've actually had an Sv* and not v*d. Because we all think we've got one pretty much anytime our stomach really starts railing against something we've eaten, too much stress, or anxiety, or what have you (especially this time of year where we're around it more). So how can you say for sure you've actually had an sv* and not been sick. Maybe your family members were sick, you jacked the heck out of your nerves thinking you were going to get it, and your stomach went on a rampage, but you never got sick, because it really was only anxiety and you just thought you were sick?If you hadn't been around someone sick, then you really have to wonder if there was any virus or bacteria involved. Just eating weird food, or more than usual, even when it's perfectly fine can cause d* and nausea sometimes. I know I've stressed myself out or just eaten somethign greasy or whatever, that didn't sit well with me that brought me to the brink, but never over. So I'm just curious how you know what precisely it was making you feel sick without some sort of lab work to confirm it was an sv* or something? Just curious.

Another thing, more directly in response to Kasey's question, is that a lot of us have suffered through spells of nausea and what not that most people probably would have been sick from. We just want to avoid it soo bad, we don't. I know I've done that, had situations where someone without the phobia would have been sick. Kasey I bet you've actaully already prevented yourself from V*ing a few times and might not even realize it. I think a lot of us do that and maybedon't realize that a normal person would've been worshiping the porcelain in the same situation, but someone we emets make it through. I know I have, and I don't really know how I have, just that I've come as close as possible without actually doing it. I'm guessing that's a few of us.

Lastly, from a medical standpoint, there are situations with food poisoning (unlike what Sage said, it's a tad more complicated than that), in addition to poisoning where V*ing does aid in getting rid of the bacteria. Viruses,I'm notsure about, but for E. coli, there have been several documented stories of people downing the immodium and pepto making themsevles a lot worse and sick for a lot longer than normal because there body couldn't rid the bacteria, E. coli usually. So it does have it's advantages outside of poison removal, partially because some bacteria release toxins and while your body might not be getting rid of the bacteria it is ridding you of the bacterial waste products that are toxic. So I just wanted to clarify that a little bit.

I hear what you're saying stormchaser about the question of it really being a sv. More than a few times I've been n* during someone elses sv, and wondered if its just nerves. But the last time my son had it, all of the four of us got it, which resulted in v* in all of us. Well, except me, but I heaved pretty good. But the d* is what sets it apart from typical stress. GRAPHIC HERE......When I got the sv, the d* was every ten minutes, with pain in my stomach and not my intestines, and it was pure water. I went so much that I got so dehydrated that I had to have an iv. Plus the n* was so severe, so bad that I wanted to v* but only heaved. Then for the next three days, I was so wiped and had a fever, and was in bed a lot. I'm 100% positive it was the sv, and then my hubby and other son got it too. My hubby, who I've never seen v* before this, did it in the Dillons parking lot. Then he had d* and fever. Uhg, it was the worst thing ever. But, I got through it and faced my fear in order to v* to feel better. Didn't work, but hey, I tried. Janna

i learned this trick a couple days ago:

some of us have panic attacks when we get *n, like myself. obviously a fear of v* thing, but i learned that it just makes it worse. relax yourself, especially your throat, and breathe regular. as hard as it is, tell yourself you're not afraid of v*. strangely, my n* goes away quicker if i do that.

um.. i'm new to this forum and i cant figure out what sv* is :x

marycontrary - the deep breathes before v* was a really good tip. thanks!
    Dont let the fear control your life. Once you try it, you\'ll know its not as bad as you think.

-T.H.

sv* is a euphemism for stomach virus.

Quote Originally Posted by jandub
    You know sometimes I wish I COULD v*.* That sounds so crazy, but for me the anticipation of it coming is the worst.* So I have sat there by the toilet for an hour with the hypersalivation and heave-y feeling, actually wanting to get it out and feel better, and could not.* My brain is set on not v*, but I don't know if the feeling right before is just as damn awful as the actual deed.* So I may have that right before feeling for literally hours, and then be n* for days.* I agree that v* serves no purpose, I've read that so many times from so many different sources.* But I remember one time that I ate like four pieces of pizza and a candy bar, and then an hour later got my son's sv, it hit me so fast and hard, and I needed to get that pizza out of my body to feel better, but it felt like it sat for a really long time, and nothing helped.* And I really feel like if I would have v* once to get it out, I would have felt better.* But of course I didn't, I just sat with a basin and my stomach heaved, but no redemption.* I'm half thankful that I just really don't v*, and half really envious of people that can just do it and feel better. *[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] Janna
    I hear you on that one. I had some sort of food poisoning or something when I was making a long car trip and felt terrible the whole time, we kept having to pull over but I never once was able to v*. I also feel that if I have a virus and the stomach lining is inflammed, and then I eat something, it will feel much better to v* than to let it sit there and irritate my already irritated stomach. In that sense, v* does serve a purpose for us.

When I was sailing I was taught that the fastest and most effective to rid yourself of motion sickness was to v*.

I am intrigued by this idea that we can get a virus and not v* and not suffer physical effects from not v*, however. That is reassuring to me, seeing that I cannot v* even if I try to. That is the single most frustrating thing about this emet for me. Can't I just do it and get it over with? Then I'd never worry about it. It's definitely the anticipation that's the worst for me.