Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey guys,

I finally saw Buccastem for sale in my pharmacy, so I got some - yaaaaay!

I asked the pharmacist, a very kind man called Steve, all about v* and sv*s and I think I knew more than him - me going on about Noroviruses and Small Round Structured Virus particles (what? I like to remember lots of facts, lol) He reckoned it would definately work to stop v*, as it interuppts the signals telling the v* centre in the brain to activate. Hooray! I know Icant stop other people v*ing, but I do feel safer now if the worst comes to the worst and I get something.

Just wondering if anyone has any handy advice/experiences with Buccastem and reckons it is effective? (Hopefully lots!!)

It is hard for me to "control" keeping germs away from my family. I used to put a lot of effort into attempting to protect them, especially my Mum, but now, I accept that I can't. They don't wash their hands as much as me, and maybe come in from being outside and make a cup of coffee, have something to eat, etc. They say that this is proof that I worry too much, as they are fine, but what if one day they get something?

It's not fair, so many people out there must be so germy. Uurgh!

xxx

So what is it? An antiemetic? Any info if it is available in the US?

hmmm...As I had no idea what this was, I googled it. Sounds like good stuff to me. The only thing I saw that might be of concern is that if you take it on a regular basis and then stop, it can cause n* and v* from withdrawls. ~scary~

I take Tigan(a prescription anti-emetic here in the states-it also has a bit of valium in it for anxiety) which works really well. However, I've noticed that if I go afew daysorso without one, I get extremely n*. I had been thinking that it was just my mind freaking because there was none left in my system. After reading this, I wonder if it is a withdrawl issue. I'm probably addicted to these damn things. I'm really pushing myself to overcome this phobia, as it controls waaay too much. But if not taking the pills that I have relied upon for so long is only gonna cause the thing that I fear, I don't know what the next step is.

Good Grief [img]smileys/smilies_27.gif[/img]
    Be Here Now

Hi, I've used this and it IS VERY GOOD! I give it to my dad once who
    NEVER gets ill and he got a reallly nasty stomach virus and he put two
    underneath his upper lip and kept on doing that every 6 hours and was
    fine-he didn'tt vomit again! I would reccomend motilium 10 better-they
    are OTC in the UK and are great. I have spoke to my doc lots of times
    about them and she says they would stop me VX with a SV and I had a SV
    about 3 weeks ago and it stopped me even after heaving and throwing up
    a bit! they don't have any nasty side effects either! but still Be
    reassured by the buccastem-they do work! x x

Tempted to order some now...

<center>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    </center>

Hi there!!

It seems to me like there's all these wonderful anti-emetics out there like Motilium and so forth and while thy're OTC in some places they're never in the US. It's really annoying!! The best OTC anti-emetic we can get here in the States seems to be Dramamine, otherwise we have to talk to our doctor about getting anything better or stronger. Although Dramamine seems to work, I just wish we had better options here. I'm so jealous of all of you non-US members!!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Yeah me too. Most of these have long been FDA approved so I wonder why at least some haven't become OTC. Especially the milder ones like Phenergan.

I ordered some Buccastem from an online UK pharmacy. Have not used it yet, but I'm glad to hear the good reviews.

Thanks guys, it has taken me ages to find them in a pharmasist over here.

I'm sure some of these other ones (phrena . . .sumthing, drama . . whatever!) work the same kind of way. It says on the Buccastem that they help with n* and v* associated with migraines, which I don't get, luckily, but I am keeping these for EMERGENCY use only. I would only take them if I definately had an SV or was feeling n* and knew it was the real deal. Obviously, I hope I never have to use them, (they keep til 2009 lol!) and I hope not to catch and sv anyway as my hygeine practices are good.

As far as psychologically, yes, it helps to know I have something there that might help. But it probably is deceptive to our brains to think we have "control" now, like over hand-washing. I am trying to be sensible without being obsessive.

I am a bit worried about people who take these regularly as it can lead to a psychological dependancy. I used to take laxatives/slimming pills after eating (I have anorexia) but it actually made things worse. People thought I could eat "normal" food, but in order to do that I had to take pills. It really is a downhill spiral, and I feel better now that I can be honest and say "okay, I'm not eating high calorie food, but I am actually eating this and I don't have to cancel it out" Plus hiding pills everywhere and lying made me feel awful!

Please talk to a doctor or pharmacist if you feel dependant on medicine - even if it is over the counter/ herbal

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by christianne
    Hi there!!

It seems to me like there's all these wonderful anti-emetics out there like Motilium and so forth and while thy're OTC in some places they're never in the US. It's really annoying!! The best OTC anti-emetic we can get here in the States seems to be Dramamine, otherwise we have to talk to our doctor about getting anything better or stronger. Although Dramamine seems to work, I just wish we had better options here. I'm so jealous of all of you non-US members!!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    It's probably because we have a free health service. There is very little benefit in doctors seeing us only to presecribe a very safe drug - the burden on the health service is great enough without us all popping to our GPs every 5 minutes! Now, if our doctors could charge us (or our insurance companies) hundreds of pounds to see us for 10 minutes and write a prescription for a drug which costs a few pound in the pharmacy, then I'm sure the range of OTC drugs would drop drastically!

Call me a cynic, but as long as your docs are raking it in, there's little incentive to increase the range of OTC drugs! You can always buy what you need from the UK though, so it's not all bad news!!
    Edited by: suze

Quote Originally Posted by daffodil
    I ordered some Buccastem from an online UK pharmacy. Have not used it yet, but I'm glad to hear the good reviews.

Can I ask what pharmacy?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm very interested too. Is that legal?
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

so for those with experience. which one has proven to be more effective, Buccastem or Motilium? i would imagine that the two combined would be the best

Hello. I'm new here and stumbled across this site. What a nice place, with nice people who share my phobia. I thought I was all alone until now. Thank God! I was wondering...I am thinking about having surgery to repair my stomach, after giving birth to my son, my stomach is awful looking and my sister highly recommends that I have plastic surgery as does my doctor to correct the problem, but my doctor does not know that I have emetophobia...and well, I was wondering will this drug work if I were to be put under for surgery? Can I take it while being put under...I am really ashamed to inform my doctor of this fear, and I know that I would feel the same way informing a surgeon of my fear too. I haven't gotten the nerve up to do so, but I thought I would ask any way, incase any of you have had surgery and along with sharing my fear of V*ing after surgery what you have done, or what has your doctors done to ensure that you wont V* after coming out from being under. Thank You! Sincerely, MJ

Yes i find it works very well, it has the same stuff as it has in stemetil, only it wors faster, because you put it in your upper lip, then it dissolves right into the blood stream, i have some at home, but i normally take stemetil, but if it came to the point where i woke and felt ill, i would have one of them. There are natraul things though, that can help, such as ginger, i've tried not taking medicene recently when i feel n*, i find that eating a ginger biscuit can help or chewing gum. But i find that Buccastem works well, and according to my doctor, it would stop you v* in a sv*, if used in time.

Ruth x

TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

Sweet! That's what I am hoping for! (not catching an sv obviously! Just incase)

Dang...is there anywhere I can buy some??

Quote Originally Posted by todzwife
    Dang...is there anywhere I can buy some??

Any UK pharmacy!

for those of you wondering..I ordered some Motilium and Buccastem last Tuesday from Pharmacy2u and I just received the package. (in the US)

I will definitely check it out!
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

hopefully I will not have to use them but it makes me feel better just knowing I have them....does anyone know how effective they are compared to say something like phenergan?

I think they are pretty effective and fast acting too. What makes them more effective is that they dissolve on your gum, so you don't have to swallow them like other anti-emetics. If you have a sv you might not be able to keep a tablet down long enough for it to work - eewww, sorry!

You said what I thought but didnt want to type

It looks like the active ingredient in it is the same as the active ingredient in compazine sold here in the states.