Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Mantra

Hey Hey...

Do any of you do this...If you DON'T go back and check something, like the lock, then you will get a sv*...

My OCD leads me to repeat mantras in my mind.

Quirky I am

Oh and this...

I ask EVERYONE, including cashiers at Publix, How their week has been...Of course I don't really care how their week has been, just interrogating them to see if they have been s*

Oh man, I'm really bad at this for eveything in my life. I have to do certain things everyday or else. I think it must be part of OCD. I know it's really annoying!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kasey

Oh and this...

I ask EVERYONE, including cashiers at Publix, How their week has been...Of course I don't really care how their week has been, just interrogating them to see if they have been s*

I had to laugh at this!! Too funny [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]! Sounds like me. I don't care how they've been either---just tell me if you've been s*!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

OK, now that I know I'm not the only one: I used to have a problem with the number 6, and any word with 6 letters. I thought that if they were the last thing I said, or if I said them wrong, that I'd v*. Weird, huh? Also, there's no way I could touch or "tap" something 6 times either, had to be either 5 of 7. My dad is the same way!! Are we completely wacked??
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Kasey I think we were seperated at birth! I thought I was the only one! LOL!

Oh it gets even better...

God, I really have no shame.

I have little songs and I can't believe I am about to share these with you.

Scenario: Wal-Mart...Reaching for something, could be laundry detergent...anything.

"If you get the first, You will be alright...If you get the second, You will v* all night".

You would never know I was a freak by looking at me...swear.

LMAO

OH MY GOODNESS, I am cracking up because this is me all the way. I call it STALKING. I stalk people in public all the time, and I am the same way, I could care less I just need to know if i need to get the hell away from you or not.

I do things and I tell myself that if I don't get down the steps or to my car by time something happens it could be a song playing that I'm going to be sick.

And I always open my conversations with people by saying "HOW ARE YOU FEELING" Oh and I force them to elaborate, I needs details. I count every time I run up and down the steps and if I miss count I will panic. We all must have been related some how, this is toooo funny.

I do it with movies. whenever I feel N*, I take some pepto or dramamine, go to walmart, and look at movies. I stare at the cover of each one, picture myself watching it and if I can see myself v*ing during the movie I wont buy it. Eventually I will settle on a movie that "wont jinx me". and go home and watch it. Ghostbusters used to be my comfort movie if I could not find a new one to buy.I think it because it was the only movie I watched before my emet developed. I was 5 when I saw if for the first time and my emet did not hit me until I was 6 so watching took me back to a worry free time. No matter how bad I was feeling, I would just pop it in and within a few minutes I would start feeling better. I must have watched that movie over 500 times. That was all ruined about 4 years ago. The last time I v*ed I was watching it. It didn't work to keep me from getting sick so I don't watch it anymore. I miss it but I am afraid it will jinx me if I watch it again. If it is on tv, i make sure to skip that channel. I now watch ghostbusters 2 all the time in its place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aw, OCD sounds so weird to other people, but a lot of us here suffer from it too!

I think we can all empthise with you. I have an honours degree in psychology, and they reckon that it could be the way the brain is structured - something called Hyperactvity of the Basal Ganglia - which kind of means that we have active and repetative brains.

I have OCD thoughts less often about v* and germs now, but it has moved on to food and counting calories. I am scared that it might never go away - it will always be there in some form, but I am learning to live with it. I like routines and can be quite rigid in my thinking, but I am having to adapt so that, if I have to, I can do things in a different order. Still dont like it though! lol xxx

Its soooooo amazing how we all have these little quirks!!!

I havent been diagnosedwith OCD but defintelyhave odd bod moments!!! Like things I do must relate to numbers but the numbers must relate to my age, I have to keep cehcking the windows before I leave the house, even tho I know theyre shut I always go back and check again. If i dont run thru my checklist before leaving for work something bad will happen,I NEVER pick the first item on a shelf, it always hasto be behind then the less people will have touched it,

when someone returns to work after illness they get the total third degree, what, when, how etc until I am either satisfied theres no need for concern or have worked myself up into a panic becos it sounds like an sv, in which case i will avoid them and whereever they go for the rest of the weekj!!!!!!!!!

god I could go on and on and on...........................

Laney xxx

Why oh why are we like this?? I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.....Do you repeat thoughts over and over??

OCD is an anxiety disorder, and even if you don't have diagnosable OCD, anyone with an anxiety disorder is going to have some symptoms of this. The thing to remember is that the little songs and repetitions and "jinxes" you imagine are all methods of calming you down. Yet you've invented the thing that ups your anxiety in the first place (ie, if I DON'T sing this song, I'll be sick) There is a simple cure for OCD-symptoms. Just stop doing the ritual. And THEN you must learn to cope with the ensuing anxiety. Simple, but not easy to actually do. However, with practice, you will eventually be able to stop the rituals.

The reason for WANTING to do this is because it's no laughing matter - it's making your anxiety disorder worse, and complicating things in your brain. i.e., telling your brain that you're in danger (if you dont' sing the song) when you are in no danger whatsoever.

Try to begin with something small, like "jinxing" yourself or not singing a song or poem. THEN when you don't get sick (and I promise you, you won't) your brain starts to learn that you're actually in no danger. This HELPS your anxiety disorder rather than hinders it.

Good luck everyone! (Oh ya - and yes, I did all that stuff too...and believe me, it feels wonderfully liberating not to do any of it anymore)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.