Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

SO I made chicken tonight. I'm not so worried about it not being cooked well enough or whatever (I make sure it is but I'm always afraid of Salmonella from it dripping or whatever.

I'm thinking about two things right now. One, I threw the container from the chicken in the trash and it was kind of sticking up. My dad was over and made my daughter a bottle. He washed his hands first, but when he went to throw the paper towel away, I'm afraid he touched the container in the trash and re-contaminated his hands. Then, the second thought, when I was dumping the water out of the pasta, it splashed up off of the cutting board I cut the chicken on. Granted, I had washed my hands a million times over the cutting board in the sink so most likely all of that soap killed anything, but I still worry.

Oh, I hate chicken. But there is only so much you can make with "safe" stuff, you know!

I hear ya! Everytime I prepare chicken I go through the same thing. I get so anxious about everything that it isn't even worth it. I swear I don't even sleep good the nights that we eat meat because I am so worried that someone is going to wake up not feeling well. I hate it so much.

And as many times as I've worried, I've never had to. So, try not to think too much about it and relax.
    \"This too shall pass\"

ITA! I never make it for that reason!! lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am the same way. I always use bleach water to clean up my counters, sink and stove.

I am sure you are fine though...

I am totally not careful at all! I mean I wash my hands but only twice once before and once after and I put the cutting board in the dishwasher with regular dish soap.....Chicken is the only meat I eat and I have been eating it for 26 years and knock on wood have never gotten sick from it! I think sometimes we are to careful and it takes the fun out of what we are trying to accomplish
    Christi
    *^**^***^****^*****^******^**
    Proud Mommy to Zachary

I just completly stopped eating chicken. You can eat raw hamburger and not get sick, but you can't eat raw chicken...So I never eat it!!

mitch, you cant eat raw hamburger and not get sick!! not that we should be afraid of it, but if you eat raw hamburger you are just asking for problems.

hamburger needs to be fully cooked to be eaten safetly, because its ground meat, all the bacteria from the oustide of the meat gets spread to the inside, whereas you can eat steak rare and be okay. ( not that I would, because of the eww factor, but I'll eat it a litlle pinkish)
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

May I offer a suggestion? I love chicken, and am eating more of it than I ever did in the past. Here's what I do, which is simple and fast with almost no worries at all:

Move everything off the counter in my kitchen. I get a plastic trach bag and set it on the counter next to the pot//pan I will cook the ckn in. Put the ckn package into the bag. Open ckn. package with gloved hands (long nails). Pick ckn pieces up and put into pan. Then put the pan on the stove or in oven. Since the package is already in the bag, I close and tie up the bag and put into trash (with lid). Since this method hardly results in dripping blood on the counter, it's easy to clean. I will still use antibacterial cleaner on the counter where the bag was. That's it--take gloves off and wash my hands. No ickies in the sink or on the counter, and nothing drips or spills, since I have the pan right next to the bag and ckn package. Very easy and then I can actually enjoy my dinner
    ~*~Charlene~*~

My mother used to eat raw hamburger when she was little, and a guy I used to work with, would always pop a piece of raw hamburger before he cooked it.

I wouldn't eat raw hamburger meat at all, ecoli could be present and the cooking of the meat all the way through is the only thing that kills it completely so why take the chance? Unless a restaurant actually makes their own ground beef (Sardi's in NYC does for it's Steak Tar Tar dish) I wouldn't eat it raw. Steak tar tar is that dish where there is a mound of raw chopped meat with a raw egg floating in it. Yuck!!

Eww Mitch! Reguardless if it's safe or not, what's the appeal with raw hamburger meat? It can't taste good! Blech!

As for chicken I'll only eat it but I won't prepare it, I'm so afraid that I'll touch it and then like wipe my face or something with my hands, my mom makes it all the time and I'm cool with her doing it, I just don't trust myself.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I always freak out when DH makes chicken. I never think anything is clean after. I refuse to cook it. I like Charlenes method of keeping the chicken package away from everything!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never eat chicken or meat as i am paranoid but when i prepare it for my partner i always wear disposable gloves and wash everything i have touched or used straight away with anti bac cleaner. Then after i am completely done i wash the surfaces and anything that the chicken may have come in contact with with a bleach solution. I think i am probably too cautious[img]smileys/smilies_31.gif[/img]

Trinity

I never said I would eat raw hamburger!!! I was just saying that people do, and like babygap said its an acutal dish...To me, if you "can" eat something raw or undercooked its safier...that's why I don't eat chicken cause you can't do that.

I love chicken-my girl always brags on my "chicken jerkey" lol.
    Be Here Now

I like chicken, too, but I am terrified of cooking it! All I think of when I see a raw, bloody piece of chicken is how much salmonella is lurking there. I always overcook my meat on purpose just to be on the safe side. I'd rather my meat to be a little on the dry side than to get sick!