Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I know a few of youuse and recommend Dramamine . Well, it sure came in handy last night. I was at my boyfriend's show and I ate some chicken and rice at the place while they were setting up their equipment. Big mistake... About 15 minutes after eating it, I had the worst n* and stomach cramps. I was having major anxiety attacks at this point because I was afraid this was the big one- I might lose it in public. The crowd was loud and it was cramped, music was loud and colorful lights were making me feel worse. I told my boyfriend the food got me very sick so I went to my car. I relaxed back and took a dramamine and sipped some water. The n * was so overwhelming and I was terrified. I grabbed my brown sandwich bag and stuck my finger in my mouth and attempted to v*. I just can't do it.I wish I were as talented as a bulimic ata desperate moment but it's very hard for me to! (lol)I tried twice and just gagged but couldn't do it anymore. i gave up and just waited for the Dramamine to kick in. In about 30 minutes, I started to feel more relaxed and the n* began to subside. In an hour, I was about to get out of my car and get to see them play ( just in time). Thank you very much to everyone who talked about Dramamine. It saved me last night. I know some people on here have talked about how we should not talk about "avoiding" certain things and avoiding v*, but I am sorry... if there is a way I can avoid v* in public and members on this forum have shared tips and what has worked for themAND it has helpedanother member like myself,then I consider it a wonderful thing, not a bad thing to share tips on avoiding v*. I want to get over this phobia as much as anyone else, but I also want to avoid getting sick in public if I can help it and also avoid getting sick often since I don't have sick time left at my job.Edited by: ginger_saves
    -Bridgette

Glad to hear it worked for you! It's great stuff but be careful, it will make you sleepy and you don't want to drive if you have been on it. I've heard that it is so good that it can off sept a strong does of epicat syrup (the stuff that INDUCES v*).

I always carry it with me! I also use it for allergy attacks to. I think it works faster than benadryl (they are the same family of meds).

Way to go![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Thanks, johnlp. I know you and I believe katsamsmom suggested it! I have had it for weeks in my car and this was the first time I used it.You're right about the driving thing. It took allmy strengthin me to keep my eyesopen while driving back home last night!Luckily there weren't many cars on the road and I live only 15 minutes from the place. [img]smileys/smilies_25.gif[/img]
    -Bridgette

Hey

Is it possible that the nausea you felt was caused by anxiety? I know when I'm going to be in a situation with a lot of people sometimes I can end up feeling so sick that I'm convinced this is "IT" when really it's just my anxiety. I've been so convinced that I've run outside and stuck my head in a bin (um ew haha) but once I'm out of the situation and take time to breathe then my nausea subsides and I'm ok. Did anyone else feel sick on the food?

I'm not trying to be a b*tch trust me. i'm just wondering because so often I've been convinced that I am definately sick, only to find it to be anxiety.

xxxxxxx

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Hey there! No, no one else ate, so I definitely think it was the food!![img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img] The reason I say this is because everyone I saw was just drinking (it's a small place and I was able to scan the area).I don't drink, so I just had the chicken and rice and a ginger ale. I got there and was a bit hungry and I was the only one eating any food at this bar. I do agree and definitely think the anxiety triggered the nausea even more but the Dramamine seemed to ease both. Ive been to many of their shows ( some that were very far awayin remote areas) and ate lots of junkfood prior to or at the show, and nothing like this happened so it was scary (esp since it happened 15 minutes after eating it).I also felt like I was gonna get d* when the n* hit me and my stomache was cramping. I thought for sure it was food poisoning or maybe the dreaded sv* struck me. Damn them!!!!
    -Bridgette

Does anyone know if dramamine is available over the counter in the UK, and what is it known as here?

I don't think anything would come on that quickly to cause V*. I guess a SV would though but if you were really sick then I think you probably would have been before the dramamine kicked in. That said they are probably good to have around because they do cause you to get sleepy and it can take the edge off the anxiety. Good for those nights when all you are doing is sitting up anxious and panicking and need to sleep.

Hope you feel better now.

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.