Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

*NOTE: here's the rule for this one, DO NOT, get overly excited about this, it's a long ways off but still a possibility and something to hope for.

Ok, so I think a lot of us are of the mindset that if we could rid ourselves of sv*s we could all relax a whole lot more. I know that the point should be to get over the fear not get around it... but at this point I'll take what I can get.

Well, an article was published in the Journal of Medical Virology very recently that they are working on a vaccine to NV and have been successful in stimulating an immune response to NV in mice, other cool point if you hate shots, its an oral vaccine. Now they've only stimulated an immune response but it's a start. They've also showed a decrease in NVs ability to bind to the cells it infects because the Virus Like Particles used in the vaccine bind to them first stealing their spots, which is great. NV is very hard to make a vaccine for because of the many strains and mutation rates, so it'd probably be like the flu vaccines where they have combine vaccines to a bunch of key strains into one. However the department of defense is heavily funding this research because if you think about what happens on cruise ships, imagine what the navy has to deal with and obviously can't afford to have the majority of a ship taken out and delayed in wartime. Sorry I can't link the paper, it's restricted access to med ppl. and protected by copyright.

Another group called ligocyte has also been commissioned by the department of defense to work on a vaccine. Here's the link to that (keep in mind, this is a company and will exaggerate success in the name of self promotion)

Ligocyte

Just think, maybe 10 yrs we'll actually enjoy winter....

Edited by: stormchaser97

Most interesting and hopeful![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Thanks for this article. However I think that as long as I suffer from this phobia then it wouldn't matter if there was a vaccine. I'd still wonder if the jab itself would make me sick, if I could still catch the SV, if it actually worked or not. Because of the anxiety behind the phobia. When I took anti emetics all day everyday I still panicked all the time because I didn't know if it was working or not.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

A vaccine would be great, and would calm a lot of people down. But hippy's absolutely right. You'd still have an anxiety disorder, and your life would still be hell. You'd just spend more time worrying about food poisoning, whether there might be a new strain of the virus, if the vaccine worked, etc. etc. The cure is in curing the phobia. I can promise you that I don't fear or dread winter one bit, don't worry when the preschool in my building comes down with noro, and could care less about nursing homes, cruise ships or anything else. Your goal is an anxiety-free life, not a vomit-free life!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh, I definitely agree with that too. I even said so in my post. You need to get over the phobia not get around it by preventing the sickness. But, until I do get over it, I'm a numbers person and I like anything that reduces my probability of getting sick and makes my life a little more livable in the meantime, while I'm working on it. I guess fp doesn't freak me out too much most of the time as I cook for myself most of the time.

I just figured I'd post this and maybe help some people take the edge of the anxiety with some of the stuff going around right now, cuz part of the fear with this seems to be that this level of anxiety comes every year and people reach the point of fearing the anxiety as much as v* itself. Might allow people more freedom to get out and do more social stuff instead of sitting around worrying all the time. But yeah, dealing with the root of the problem is always the best course of action, treating the symptoms in the meantime can't hurt unless you get obsessive and go overboard.

sage, have you vomited at all since you were cured and how did you feel compared to before? Just wondering. Thanks.
    -Bridgette

Hi ginger,

Yes, I did. I was treated for the fear of vomiting myself back in the early 80s. 15 years later I did get sick, and I knew it was going to happen, so I was anxious for like 5 minutes right before, and then when it happened, it was a big fat NOTHING. And I couldn't believe that all those years I worked myself into a frenzy and didn't eat for ages and all....just over that. It was quite a "moment of truth".

I've been completely anxiety-free now for four years and I don't think I'd be anxious for one second if and when it happens again. (I haven't been sick for 10 years now)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.