Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I was at the pediatrician the other day for a checkup for my son, and overheard a mom in there talking to the receptionist. She had a teenage son with her, and she was telling this other woman that she told her teenager to not touch anything or even drink out of the waterfountain because there was a bad stomach virus going around. She seemed really panicky about it, which surprised me because then she said she was a cardiologist. Not that cardiologists come into a lot of v* contact, but her being a doctor surprised me. Anyway, I never thought about the water fountain thing, and of course she said that AFTER I let my boys get a drink from there. I was slightly panicked after that. Then yesterday at a field trip to the dentist (I homeschool) there was a mom there that has had the sv twice this year already! She said her son, who was there, had it Thursday, and of course he sat next to my kids and they talked and wrestled, yada yada. I suppose he wasn't contagious anymore, but still freaked me out. Then she said that her hubby was v* Friday night, and that he never ever v*. I'm just so nervous right now. You know, I don't remember who said it about it just seems like if there is talk of sv's, we are a magnet for it. It seems like I can't go a day without hearing something about it. I would love a life where I hear about a sv, and thought of it like I had heard a sore throat is going around. Or be able to drop it in a conversation like it was nothing, just sort of a "ya was sick the other day, wonder what that was?" instead of thinking about therapy if I ever got sick enough to v*. What the hell is this disorder? Why am I not afraid of sneezing, or having diarreah? Those are both loss of conrol type things. Sigh, ok, thank you for reading my rant. I know you all know just how I feel right now. Its so hard to deal with, but we do, because we function in our day to day life. Its just that emet is so mixed in with our day to day life, and that is freaking exhausting. How can I get through the next five months???? Although my boys did v* repeatedly in July last year, so even that isn't "safe". Ok, really rambling now, thank you for listening! Janna

I'm at a loss myself. I just can't figure out if this is worst than it's been in some time or are folks just imbellishing there illness experience. Hell they make it soud like the plague is comming!

I never let my kids drink out of drinking fountains. At school I send them with extra bottles of water for the day. How old are your kids. Try not to worry about it too much. You were not around those people when they were sick. I know winter is such a hard time for me. It really stinks!!! ~Brandi~

Where are you? Is it making it's way to Alabama or is it already here?

I NEVER ever drink out of drinking fountains. I think the only time I remember drinking out of one was at the airport at the end of August 2005. We'd just gotten back from Greece and I'd witnessed my sister v*ing. SO of course I got all panicky and I ran out of my bottled water and we were only like... I dunno I forgot but we were waiting in line for something. I was sooo messed up... but ya i actually drank out of the drinking fountain. Cuz I felt my mouth severely drying up it was horrible. I swear to god I thought i was gonna v* too

I feel your pain. Hearing about it all the time really gets me worrying, but on the other hand I want to know if it's here so I can 'take cover'. It's like a catch-22. I'm sure your a typical emet with super good hygiene, so try to take some comfort in that. Be happy!!! It's almost Christmas!!!

P.S. I homeschool too!

Thank you for your replies! My boys are seven and eight, and I live in Kansas. None of my friends or family have gotten the sv here, yet I hear about it all the time! I'm going to think about this though, and really start listening to other people talk about other symptoms too, like a cold or sinus, to see if maybe people just like to talk about illness in general. Like being the emet that I am, maybe I filter through all the safe symptoms and just perk my ears up at the stomach ones. Maybe that is why we all feel like there is more sv's around, because we are sensitive to that talk. It is a lovely thought to think that maybe sv's aren't worse than they used to be, but we just hear about it more. I don't know. But yes, I love Christmas and have vowed to myself that I am not letting this crappy fear affect my holiday. I may have to remind myself of that a hundred times a day, but still. Its such a good idea to focus on the good and try to let go of the horrid. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Janna