Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have a chrstmas party this Friday and my friend and her hubby are due to be staying the night afterwards.

My friend phoned in work sick today and said she had been sick over night (along with a cold, and cough etc). She said her children were also unwell (she didn't go into too much detail). She went to the doctor and he told her to take a few days off work because she had a virus. I am now really worried about having her stay over because she will still be carrying the virus right? Even if she isn't her husband might be and i want to politely tell her that i don't want them to stay or think of an excuse.

My husband said to tell her about my phobia and she might understand but i doubt it very much and feel guilty for landing her in the lurch but at the same time, i dont want her bringing a bug into my house.

Any suggestions on how i approach this?

Will this last forever????

Just tell her that you don't want to be exposed to whatever she has and even if she's better by Friday, she could still be contagious. If you feel comfortable telling her about your phobia, then do so, but if not, simply tell her you can't afford to get sick.

This is what I tell folks...

"look I realize you are better now but you could still be contagious and an illness like this hits me harder than the agerage person and I simply have to be vigilant in guarding myself against it the best I can.I know that might be hard to understand and I don't want to hurt your feelings because it really is not personal. Please try and understand."

thanks guys - i'll try. She is not the most understanding of people and would see it as me being funny with her but i have to be a bit selfish here i think

Thanks for the advice ;-)

Will this last forever????