Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I went for my employee Christmas party yesterday at the Mandarin(in case any of you don't know, it'sa high-end chain of Chinese/Japanese food restaurants) I thought I'd play it safe by only having white rice, chicken balls, breaded cod, pasta salad, andegg rolls as I am allergic to garlic and don't know where garlic or garlic oil may show up. For dessert I had cheesecake, chocolate mousse and mango pudding. Everything was fine until around 5:30 that evening when I started getting bad intestinal cramps. If I stayed in one position for a long time the pain went away, but as soon as I'd move it was agony! My husband starting teasing me that I was going to get sick because it happened to him a few months ago after eating chinese, and I was worried that my stomach was just working up to rebel! However, Inever didfeel it in my stomach, it was down lower. I thought I'd go to bed and see how I feel in the morning, and in the morning I felt fine. The other girls at work thought it might have been the mayonnaise in the pasta salad, or the cheesecake. The pasta salad wasn't exactly refrigerated on the buffet table, and who knows how long it was sitting there in the warm restaurant? The pain felt sort of like my reaction to garlic(severe stomach upset), but nothing ever happened. I wonder what it could have been!

maybe it was gas? i hate gas pains/discomfort, they always feel different-- no 2 gas pains ever feel the same to me, so of course, they freak me out.

No, it definitely wasn't gas. It was the wierdest thing, like my intestines were all cramping up all the way across my waist area. It would cramp up if I touched my stomach, moved, coughed, etc.I couldn't even stand up straight.

do you think you may have had a bit of garlic without realizing, if it felt like a garlic reaction? You never know when you go to a new restaurant, especially one that uses lots of spices, which foods have garlic. Maybe the egg rolls?

I hope you feel better!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I agree with Anya. It's hard to know exactly what seasoning is in anything. And garlic is in TONS of stuff....

Maybe the MSG in the oriental food upset your stomach as well. Some people I know have had issues with MSG, too...

I hadn't thought about MSG! Maybe that was it...I've had egg rolls before with no sickness, but the Mandarin might make theirs with different ingredients, I don't know.

they dont put MSG in mandarin's food I don't think. It could of been garlic in the eggroll though? I don't know mandarin is pretty safe to eat in, well the one in my city is anyways... It could of just been the mixture of food, if it was fp you would of probably shown signs, like d...