Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Hello everyone,

I am feeling quite positive and want to help you all because you have helped me many times on this site. I thought it would be empowering to think of all the facts and pull together as an emet-community to help each other! -

Now, let's think of some good facts to keep things in perspective -

I have been thinking about viruses and where they are more common - I don't really think there are more in some cities. I think (hope) that no matter how many people we come into contact with each day, as long as we are sensible with handwahing before eating/touching face we should be fine. The population of Scotland is about 5 million. In London the population is 7 million! (I cant get my head round that!) If you travel on public transport you must touch poles/buttons/handles - all kinds of stuff that thousands of people have come into contact with - and not get ill.

I wonder, are viruses more common in big cities, percentage wise? The city where I live has a population of 150,000, but I work in much smaller rural areas, and people still get the odd stomach bug. I mentioned that one of our service users had v* and I was worried when I saw her last week. We were doing crafts, and she touched my card and gluestick, which I have since used and am OK!

To elaborate on my "little dots" theory, if the virus particles that could potentially be places from infected people touching stuff are like tiny dots, even if there were tiny sv dots on every surface (UNLIKELY) if we don't ingest them then there shouldn't be a problem. It shouldn't matter where we live surely?

ie - Person in London potentially exposed to lots of dots = ok, has good hygeine.

Person in rural Angusmeets one person = shakes infected persons hand= licks fingerslots and lots or something= might contract sv? (not definately!)

I also believe (gotta have faith!!) that even if the rest of the family came down with the bug, we can survive and conquer these stupid viruses!! - A friend of mine worker in a small place, where the other girls were dropping like flies with an sv - coming into work fine then having to leave after v*. There was only one toilet, which people had v*ed in, and my friend was scared that she would "inevitably" catch it. She washed her hands well and fairly often (not obsessively - shes not like me!) and she was fine!!

I hope we can think of good (and realistic) things that are within our control! - most v* is caused by other reasons anyway - alcohol, kids jumping about after eating loads of sweets, fairground rides, I don't know . . . loads of things![img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

Thanks again everyone [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

xxx

I try to think of the positive. I like to think that we can stay healthy by keeping our hands clean. So thats what I do. And I hope for the best!!

Someone (sorry I forget who!) told me they always turn the lights off in the bathroom if they think they are about to v* which really helped me. Now I just know that I will turn the lights off too if it ever comes down to that. It just takes one element away of the whole experience and is really comforting to me to know *I* won't even have to see it, I can just flush it away. One less thing to avoid!

That's good. I know it is hard, and it makes me sad to know that other people suffer from this phobia too. This is a great site, it has helped me so much, and we can all chat to people from all over the world. Pretty cool![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]