Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm afraid to eat any produceanymore. With all of this ecoli on theproduce it's scarey. I get emails from the CFIA and I got two today about infected cantalopes and more infected spinach. Then there is the whole thing about the onions at Taco Bell. I usually eat produce all the time, but now I don't want to because it seems so risky. Anyone else like this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know that I want to buy a little greenhouse and grow everything myself! Being emet, I can't just planta garden in my backyard for fear of the cats in the neighborhood pooping on my veggies, because they come into my yard. Edited by: californiagirl
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I know, we have millions of cats on our neighbourhood and they all use the gardens as cat boxes. GROSS!! That would be so much easier if we could grow our own though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, produce is not my thing. Freaks me out.

but you HAVE to eat fruits and vegetables! That's one of your best defenses against disease! please... eat! There is a VERRRRYYYY small chance you'll fall ill w/ something like e-coli. trust me. If you really want to avoid sv* you have to eat right, and eat *somewhat* according to the food pyramid. Or whatever.

I was just telling my husband the same thing. I dont even want to buy produce. I told him we need a greenhouse so we can grow our own all year round.

I usually just go with frozen vegetables...I am not a huge fruit fan...I will eat bananas, but that's it. Fruit is too tart. I don't like tart.

I say we replace veggies with brownies in the food pyramid. Healthy? Maybe not. Yummy-licious? You betcha.

I'm serious.

Really, really serious.
    Be Here Now

So...raw veggies are what people are freaked out about? What about canned and frozen? I wont touch raw produce because people have touched them and could have fallen on the floor. I just recently heard of the ecoli bit. So im hopeing canned and frozen are okay, otherwise Im sure I'll die from lack of veggies.

Yeah, this really sucks! I love fruits and veggies, but mostly eat canned or frozen. At least then they're cooked. I'm not sure if it's safer, but I think it must be.[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]
    Does anyone know if stuff in the peel, like bananas and oranges are safe, as the fruit inside is not in contact with anything? That's my lovely theory anyway. At least I know nobody has touched the part I'm going to eat.

yeah, I've given up all fresh produce since the baby spinach (which I used tolove) over the summer. Even in resteraunts-all my sandwiches are now plain. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by nicki77

I say we replace veggies with brownies in the food pyramid. Healthy? Maybe not. Yummy-licious? You betcha.

I'm serious.

Really, really serious.

I will put a call in today to the FDA...or whoever makes those damn pyramids.

I make smoothies with frozen fruit, but I can't stand frozen veggies. I eat canned stuff sometimes, but I know it's not asnutrient filled as the fresh stuff.

Nicki, I'vebeen eating more sweets that I ever have and I'm sure this has something to do with it. I just feel so un-healthy right now.

I'm DYING for a salad but I'm too chicken.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

So Im assuming frozen is the way to go then, eh?

But think about it this way... If we don't have our fruits and veggies, then our immune systems suffer and our bodies can't fight off sickness and infection. Buying from local farms is one thing you could do to cut down on possibility of contamination. Although considering veggies are grown with poo, there is no full proof answer. BUT our bodies need fresh fruit and veggies. Fresh is so much better for us than frozen or canned. Don't let media hype make you turn your body into a garbage can.

Although, the brownie food pyramid concept isn't a bad idea as long as the viking woman look becomes sexy in our modern day society And in that case, can ice cream be up there with the brownies?
    \"This too shall pass\"

exactly what Shiva said [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Ice cream is full of calcium...I think it should be right up there at the top![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

I've read that canned is just as nutritious if not more so because its sitting around in its own juice, soaking up more good stuff. Not a huge veggie fan but have to have my fruit. I think we have to remember that in the last, say, fifteen years, I have only heard about some fresh food being tainted twice or three times. I bought the veggie wash at Dillons and you just spray it on the food and rinse it off. Its all natural, no soap or anything in it, and I feel better using that. I was bummed about the spinach thing too. But I buy frozen because I read that's ok. I LOVE frozen fruit in smoothies. Oh, about the cat poopy, think of it as fertilizer. That is so disgusting I know, but we fertilize our garden with cow poop. I didn't know what it was and it had a funny smell, and finally I asked hubby what kind of soil that was, and .........ya. I say poop away! And then soak your veggies in veggie wash. But brownies works for me, you've got your eggs, your dairy, your grain, ok that may be pushing it, but still. Janna

Frozen fruits and veggies are just fine- the nutrients are
    well-preserved in them. Just watch out for ones packed with fats
    and salt.

I think the main problem is with the bagged salad greens- I've also
    heard that it is hard to fully clean these kinds of greens because they
    sit in the bag and can contaminate each other. This is a shame,
    because I love a good salad made from real greens and not iceberg
    lettuce. I'm going to try to grow some myself next summer-
    haven't seen any cats in the neighborhood yet[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I know for damn sure I could survive on just avacados for my fruits 'n veggies![img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]

I still eat veggies, I just make sure that I get them up to a nice HOT temperature and then eat them. So I put a lot of them in the broiler and let the fire dance all over them and get them crispy, and then eat em.

Raw veggies can bite me.

I do eat fruit, but I just wash it really good first. But before you know it, I'll have the fire dancing on that too.

I really only like cooked veggies any more, or really well washed fruits, hehe...and i will never eat another salad in my life!
    I love Sam

Yeah, I only like cooked veggies also...nothing raw because I don't like the crunch...

So canned fruits are a no no because of the sugar content?

The FDA or CDC (can't remember which) says it takes boiling veggies for at least 15 seconds to kill bacteria. So cooked veggies shouldn't be a problem. Just wash the stuff off really well and it should be ok.

You need all the stuff in veggies from vitamins and minerals, to fiber ( which also stabilizes your GI system if you don't over do it and drink lots of water) to lower your risk of diseases as well as really nasty things like cancer..... I'm sure no emet wants to have chemo in their future....

I've noticed then when I follow a healthy eating plan and drink lots of water, my stomach does really well along with the rest of me. Don't let E coli freak you out too much, wash stuff and you should be good.

For those of you who cook your veggies, what kinds do you cook and what do you eat them with? I don't have any ideas except stir fry and I can't eat that everyday.

Thanks!!!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean

For those of you who cook your veggies, what kinds do you cook and what do you eat them with? I don't have any ideas except stir fry and I can't eat that everyday.

Thanks!!!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

My very favorite thing is this:

Bag of frozen green beans.

Can of Rotel.

1/2 stick of butter...REAL unsalted butter.

Lots of salt and pepper.

Simmer for 2 hours.

Good lord it's good..........and unhealthy.

What's Rotel? ( I feel stupid.)
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Kellybean- I threw out a bag of babygreens yesterday because they smelled funny and I had a bad feeling about them. Funny part is, I don't think you could smell e. coli, lol! Talk about paranoia!! Watching the news is a good way to know what's going on, but like my doctor said, knowing too much can hurt you too. If we didn't know about all of this we probably wouldn't think twice about putting that strawberry in our mouth but now all fruits and veggies are being handled like biohazard material, lol!
    ***Elvia***

Yeah, I don't know what Rotel is either! LOL But thanks for the recepie Kasey, sounds good!

Elvia, before I knew all about how sv's were transmitted and how veggies and other food besides meatcould carry e coli, I was so careless about the things I ate. It so true when they say "What you don't know can't hurt you" I throw things away ALL the time when they don't look good or smell good!! I'm completely paranoid!!

OMG~Rotel...I mix it with some melted Velveta and use it as a dip for Tostitos.

Delicious!!!
    Be Here Now

FIrst of all someone said something about thinking about cat poop as fertilizer, cat poop is a totally different composition then cow poop. Cows eat grase, and grain, and what not. WHen they digest it the enzymes make it different. Like you would never make your OWN poop fertilizer, cause we eat meat....most of us.

Secondly, I won't touch produce because of the e-coli scare, but them GROWING the food wasn't the problem, I think the problem was that they were WASHING the leaves with water that contained feces, I may be wrong.

I barely eat raw fruit or vegetables, but I will drink 100% fruit juice, and I eat chinese and that has vegetables right? LoL! Put chinese of the food pyramid while we're at it, K?

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!