Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Some of you might recall a close call I had at my kids' concert on Tuesday when one kid ran out of the hall with her hand over her mouth. Anyway, today my daughter comes home and says that her friend v* just before school ended. What's worse is that this kid threw up because she saw someone else do it. I mean, that's three episodes of v* in 2 days...I'm trying to stay calm but it's hard, it's like I've got the Sword of Damocles hanging over my head!

I wish it was Friday and there was no school for two days but sadly it's not and I've got to throw my kids into the germ pit for another day!

Sorry for whining on about this, but it's flippin hard work dealing with my own emet never mind dealing with the prospect having to cope with v* kids!

And now it's getting worse...my son has just come home from his guitar lesson and his teacher's son has been off school v*. So, my son has been in a house with v*, and this kid is also in the same school, same year etc.

Why do I feel such an air of inevitability? I feel like it just has to happen to my kids now.

Oh no, that sounds nasty. I know how worried you must feel. I am worrying myself as it was my daughter's Christmas concert today. Everything went well and it wasn't until on the way home that my daughter told me how she had extra lines to say in the concert because a little boy had v*d during the dress rehearsal and had to go home. She said that 2 other children in her class were absent today, so now I am assuming that they have a s.v. I wish it was Friday too.

I really hope your children stay well.

So sorry to hear this Suze. I simply hate to be in those kind of situations and can understand how you feel. Remember though that not everyone v* because of a SV. It might be nerves, chest infection, (or ear infection), headache, heat, lots of reasons. I know its hard, but try not to worry. I'm thinking of you.

Thanks Trix and Curly, I really do appreciate your support. I know these things happen and I'm sure if I wasn't emet then it would seem a very minor incident. However, in my mind it has blown out of all proportion; there is a sv running rampant through the school and following my kids home!

I know I'll cope if it happens, I'd just rather it didn't! I want it to be Friday...in fact, I want it to be the end of term!!

Curly...hope things go OK at your daughter's school and there's nothing nasty going round.

Thanks again...it seems a bit odd though that with all the bad stuff going on in Ipswich at the moment, we're all worked up about a bit of V*!! Makes you think, eh?!

I totally sympathize. I feel like the axe is going to fall at any moment. Kids have been v'ing in my daughter's class now since before Thanksgiving. About one a week. Three kids did it in one day in the room next to hers. I stand in line at the grocery store and hear other moms talking about how their kids now have the "flu" that everyone hasand are home "v'ing". I was relaxed over this past weekend thinking this thing has got to clear out of here sometime soon and then drop my kids at school Monday and hear another mom talking about how everyone's kids are v"ing. Ugh. It's like I already know they are going to catch it and be sick with it over Christmas. I wish they weren't in school until next Friday. By my math, that means they will both be sick Christmas Day.

Quote Originally Posted by cheerio
    I wish they weren't in school until next Friday. By my math, that means they will both be sick Christmas Day.
    #

Oh man, don't our minds work in exactly the same way!!!

Hope your kids stay well....will be keeping everything crossed for you!

homeschooling doesn't sound to bad right now!!...it's terrible to have to fear our children catching an sv from school everyday...non-emets hate the holidays because the kids are out of school and at home...and the emet parents can't wait for the holidays to have our kids at home...ridiculous!!
    ~Sheri~

we are definitely not typical moms in that we can't wait to send them off to school are we? i live for my daughters days off of school- my stress levels are so much lower. i always feel like i am doomed for a call later on telling me i have to come get her.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Suze, I'm so sorry you're having such a rough day!! I hope you and your kids stay healthy and safe---my thoughts are with you!!

I've read so many of your other posts regarding your children and you sound amazing. Strong, calm, collected---everything I am hoping to one day be with my own son. I mean, WILL be.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] You handle things so very well and I'm sure this will be no exception. Hang in there!!

And Shiva, your post made me smile. Lately I am ALWAYS expecting "The Call" from my son's school. I live for breaks and vacations, and have actually considered keeping my son out of school when I hear of illnesses going around. It is funny that most moms are anxious to get their kids off to school and we are anxious when they're IN school---go figure!!!

Suze -I know EXACTLY how you feel! There's an sv* running riot in my son's school just now and a couple of days ago, he casually mentioned that one of his friends had v*d in class. I sympathised, but all I could think was "IT'S IN THE CLASS! IT'S IN THE CLASS!" And this morning he told me he "had a feeling" that somebody else would v* today. (he's a real Mystic Meg!)

I picked him up early from school yesterday for a doctor's appointment. You have to sign them out, and every child in the book for that day had been sent home sick!!! Even the lollipop ladies assumed that was why I was taking him home!

I HATE this time of year!

Yeah I live in Ipswich, where the 5 bodies have been found. Ipswich is a strange place at the moment. There's a real grim feeling. I never knew the girls who have been killed, but it must be such a sad time for their children and families. At Christmas time as well. It feels like everyone is looking at everyone else, especially as there is a £250k reward. All this is going on in Ipswich, the little town i live in and all i'm thinking about is how many kids are off in my daughters class today. This emet thing certainly takes over!

I just wanted to say that I hope all of our kids stay well in the run up to Christmas. There does seem to have been a fair bit of v* in my kids' school but not a noticeable number of absences from in the classroom so I'm hoping I was just unlucky in seeing/hearing stuff this week.

I also dread "the call" from school. They always call me on my mobile and the display tells me it's school before I answer it...now that's a heart stopping moment I can tell you! It's happened 4 times in the last 4 months...the first time my son had fallen and banged his head, the other three times it was my son asking for his rugby or football kit, or his antihistamine cos his eyes were itching!! I'm always shaking when I answer it but more often than not it's nothing bad and I get worked up fornothing!

One last thing...is it just me,or do you get over anxious when you've changed the bed linen, or put new/clean pyjamas on the kids? For some strange reason I think they're bound to be ill wheneverything's all nice and clean, kind of like sod's law! Anyone else get like this?Or am I crazier than most?

I get that too, Suze. I will change the beds and think "wouldn't it just figure if one of the kids v* tonight?"

Suze, i've had a call from school while i was at work...my boss tells me the school called and gave me the number...i was shaking so bad, it was horrible....and the number was to the school health room!!!...turns out she was requesting some paperwork fro my son!!!...i was so unbelievably relieved, yet upset at the fact that she called me at work for something like that!!...my daughter is in 4th grade and my son is in 1st...i've never had "the call" yet (knocks on wood)..but i know how you feel....my 2 days off are tue. and wed....so if my phone rings on those days while the kids are in school, my hearts beats a million times, this is so ridiculous!!!...maybe people are right in saying i'm a freak!!Edited by: sheri-baby
    ~Sheri~

Aargh, there's a flu going around at my school too .. it's terrible. Someone acutally was sick in the hallway the other day and the floor was all wet from the cleaning products .. It was kind of funny to see people hop around the spot on the floor where they knew someone had been sick ... and it was even funnier to see the people who were oblivious walk right through it!
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by sheri-baby

...maybe people are right in saying i'm a freak!!
    Well, if you're a freak then I am too!