Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Why does our phobia have to be such a secret? I really really think it would be good for me to tell my friends, but I am scared that they'll think that it's stupid and laugh at me. I would at least like to tell my 3 best friends, but I dont really know how to do it. Guys I need those of you who have told ppl to tell me how you did it, because I really think they should know...I want them to...but I am scared. Please help! Thanx...

i told my one best friend, in private, seriously wen i felt comfortable.

if they make fun of you,thye're not friends. it might tke more than one attempt to get them to fully understand you, but i hope its not too hard.

show them a site or an article about it maybe? get them thinking...

good luck

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hmm thanx Jenneh...I think it would be so much better if they knew. We could just 'happen' to be talking about fears and scary things and then I could say yeh...i have this stupid lil phobia where v* totally freaks me out...

sunshine... i wudnt do it lke that.

because ur phobia is not STUPID and not LITTLE!

if u say it lke that.. chances are they're not gnna remember by the minute afterwrds, so wen u get into a sticky situation, they're not gnna udnerstand why ur reacting the way u do..

i think if ur gnna tell them, its best to tell them as a " ur my best friends, so i feel i can tlk to you about this" kinda thing...

see what i mean?

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yeh what you said makes a lot of sense jenneh...

How did u tell your friends and how did they react?

I havent told my friends, and its something I want to every day!

What I worry about it that I dont put across how severe and life taking it is. I think that mostpeople see phobias, almost as a bit of fun, and not a serious mental condition. I really want to stress how bad this is to my friends. I'm going to start by telling my closest friend andsee how it goes, I think that with these things, if one person reacts fine to it then it almost gives you confidence to tell other people.

Its a brave thing to do, telling your friends. Tell them how bad it is for you, you could take some info with you or maybe show them this site. Its not going to be easy to tell them, but once its done it should make your life alot easier, especially if you are panicing when you are all out together.

as i said, i only told one person.

she noticed how depressed i had become.. and how much of a social recluse i was. and as soon as i worked out why ( i had emet) i told her. over MSN. i said "have u heard of emetophobia" she said "no" then i said " well, its this... and i have it.."

i was very nervous. but afyer telling her, it was amazing. she supported me lke no one has ever done before... and she understood as best as neone cud.

i hope it works the same for you!

i have also been "employed" lol by someone i know online, to tell her friend for her. because she was jst too frightened. i know its not the way evryone wants to handle it. but the offer is there, lke it was for her.

Jen xxxx

Jen xxxx

MSN:

Okay, so I have been giving this a lot of thought and thought I could do it like you did Jenneh, on msn...and saying hey have u heard of emet? yeh I have it

Thanks for the idea, I will work up the courage! I'll post when i do it. Thankies guys!