Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It it me or does anyone ever think this way:

While driving through a neighborhood, do you look at the houses and wonder if anyone is inside suffering from a sv* or v*ing?

Walk into a mall, movie theatre, school and think of it as a hotbed of germs?

Wonder if you were told you had cancer and needed chemo....would you be so fearful of chemo and v* that maybe you wouldn't go through with it?

Be afraid of riding amusement park rides because you or someone else might v* or better yet, just walking through a carnival, you might see some v under a ride?

As a child I was so afraid of waking up in the night and being sick that in my little mind I took an aspirin before going to bed because I thought it would prevent any sickness during the night. Also.......I would walk to school each day and make deals with God that if I didn't step on any cracks, he would make sure I wouldn't get a sv*

Thats enough weirdness for now.......... I feel embarrassed[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I am much better now, I don't panic but it is still alive in me.

Barbara
    Girlie Girl

Your as happy as you make up your mind to be...Mark Twain

don't be embarrased...you've just described my life on a daily basis...although i'm a lot worse than you
    ~Sheri~

Yes Yes and Yes.

I do it all and then some...

I don't even have room to put all my little quirks on here...

Hairfixer??? HairStylist by chance? I ask because I am one.

"Wonder if you were told you had cancer and needed chemo....would you be so fearful of chemo and v* that maybe you wouldn't go through with it?"

I always wonder that! Sometimes i think that i wouldnt even get the chemo .. and im def all about NOT going to amusement parks.

Dont be embarressed! We all think these things.. you just had the balls to say it!

Quote Originally Posted by hairfixer35

Wonder if you were told you had cancer and needed chemo....would you be so fearful of chemo and v* that maybe you wouldn't go through with it?

Interesting that you bring this up. I found out I had breast cancer 4 years ago. I was soooooo terrified. My mom had just had open heart surgery and I didn't tell her for fearthe newswould kill her, as her sister was dying from cancer. The girl I was dating( 5 years worth, mind you) left me when we got the news. I was forced to undergo this on my own. The fear was overwhelming, but I did it. The lump was small, and able to be completely removed with surgery. My doc wanted to do chemo as a preventive measure. I did...for a while. I met the girl I am with now right after it began. I never v*(I had good anti-emetics), but I was constantly n* and very weak and tired. My main thing seemed to be that I was prone to pass out. My skin became jaundiced and my hair started thinning out pretty bad. It became impossible to enjoy this new relationship I was in. After 2 months, I just decided to quit treatments and risk it. I'm still good, but always worried and alert for changes. My body image is all weird(though Dee would tell you it's beautiful). I must appear to really enjoy boob massages, as it happens so much. If it were to come back...I would do it again. I would know the hell to come, but I would do it.
    Be Here Now

Oh my---I NEVER would've thought that someone else did the "house" thing!!!! I always get an aeriel view in my head, and wonder how many roofs have sick people under them!!

I did the cracks in the sidewalk thing too, and had many conversations with God about it too!

I swear, there is somethingabout an emet's brain that we all share!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Quote Originally Posted by nicki77

Interesting that you bring this up. I found out I had breast cancer 4 years ago. I was soooooo terrified. My mom had just had open heart surgery and I didn't tell her for fearthe newswould kill her, as her sister was dying from cancer. The girl I was dating( 5 years worth, mind you) left me when we got the news. I was forced to undergo this on my own. The fear was overwhelming, but I did it. The lump was small, and able to be completely removed with surgery. My doc wanted to do chemo as a preventive measure. I did...for a while. I met the girl I am with now right after it began. I never v*(I had good anti-emetics), but I was constantly n* and very weak and tired. My main thing seemed to be that I was prone to pass out. My skin became jaundiced and my hair started thinning out pretty bad. It became impossible to enjoy this new relationship I was in. After 2 months, I just decided to quit treatments and risk it. I'm still good, but always worried and alert for changes. My body image is all weird(though Dee would tell you it's beautiful). I must appear to really enjoy boob massages, as it happens so much. If it were to come back...I would do it again. I would know the hell to come, but I would do it.

Bless your heart for going through that. You are a very strong woman[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]!! I hope you are "cured" and never have to go through that again!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Quote Originally Posted by nicki77

Good for you. You are very brave and i hope the best for you =)

Anyone who undergoes chemo is very very brave~ I am not even sure I would do it.

Yes I am a hairdresser. I had this hysterical kid who needed a haircut. He as about 2 and sat on his moms lap. As I was cutting his hair he was screaming and choking then of all horrors.....he ended up with hair in his mouth and gagged then v* the grape juice he was drinking. OMG! I didn't care if I was going to be fired, I told the receptionist to give the mother some towels and have her clean it up. I never again went near the kid. Don't even know if someone else finished his haircut.........didn't care! That was the only time. But I do remember getting freaked out when a client would tell me their whole family just got over a sv.
    Girlie Girl

My hands feel so gross when I go into a store like WalMart and I have to touch the handle of the shopping cart. So glad they have clorox wipes now.
    Girlie Girl

Its funny but I too would look at all the houses and wonder if someone was sick with an sv in one of them, but I would use that to think "I bet SOMEONE in this town is being sick RIGHT NOW, but they aren't dying and they'll get through it and move on, just like anyone else would". I would also if I was sick with a bug think about how most likely at all times 24/7 there is someone on this planet getting sick, so its common, and so a normal thing to not be feared, (course then I get all illogical when the crap hits the fan!)

Barbara- you have no need to feel silly at all. I think the same things all the time. My OCD compulsions are based around vomiting. I'll do things an odd number of times so I don't v*. My mind tells me you need to do this such and such times so you won't get sick.It really consumes me. I also look at other people and wonder when they last time they threw up and also wonder if they are cool about it; have the attitude as in oh well I got sick, big deal. I envy people like that.
    Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus.- Colossians 3:17

Anyone who undergoes chemo is very very brave~ I am not even sure I would do it.

Yes I am a hairdresser. I had this hysterical kid who needed a haircut. He as about 2 and sat on his moms lap. As I was cutting his hair he was screaming and choking then of all horrors.....he ended up with hair in his mouth and gagged then v* the grape juice he was drinking. OMG! I didn't care if I was going to be fired, I told the receptionist to give the mother some towels and have her clean it up. I never again went near the kid. Don't even know if someone else finished his haircut.........didn't care! That was the only time. But I do remember getting freaked out when a client would tell me their whole family just got over a sv.

Yep, I get it!

I had a client tell me that her family and her have been fighting a sv* for a couple weeks. I told her that something important came up and my coworker had to finish her hair.

I hate touching people all day

You don't know what a relief it is to have others who think like me and don't think I am strange. I would never dream of telling anyone about these thoughts, even my husband but now i have friends who are like me.

Thank you...I'm home
    Girlie Girl

I have the same exact thoughts!!! In school when i feel s* & get panick attacks I in my head try to make a deal w/ G-d that i wont ask him for anyhting else if he makes me feel better.

& i always wonder when i pass by houses if someone is v*, & im scared of carnivals.

The other thing i do is i always think about how someone in the world at this second is prob v* somewhere

i am the same way-I wonder how many people v* on public transportation everyday...that is why I am scared to deal with it again.
    -Bridgette

I definitely feel this way! A lot of times, I will look at someone (maybe a random stranger,) and suddenly picture them v*. It's so weird. I think, "I wonder how many people around the world are v* RIGHT NOW." How many people have sv's in their homes RIGHT NOW?

I work at the mall for the holidays. What a mistake! I panic every day I work, up until the second I walk through the doors--then I finally calm down. Ugh. I walk past people, wondering if suddenly, a little kid will v* right in front of me! For some reason, I don't worry so much, once I get into my store, b/c I think that if a kid gets sick, another employee will clean it up! But once I'm outside the doors of the shop, I freak out. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] I feel so stupid!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's interesting that so many of us do the house thing. I deliver newspapers for a living, and as I'm driving my route very early in the morning, if I see a light on in a house, I always wonder if the people inside are sick with a sv.
    Also, with houses that have kids bikes and stuff in the yard, I wonder if the kid's schools have sv's going around. I'm a freak.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Same here! Those are all good things for the"You might be an emet" post!!!!</font>

We are all definitely on the same page here with this phobia...hahaha.

-Bridgette

Oh god, theoriginal post has made me laugh!!!

I had completely forgotten that when I was youngi would take an aspirin every night to stop me getting sick, I cant believe there is someone else that actually did that too!!!

I also have the chemo debate in my head frequently and also dont go near fairgounds and havent done sinceIsaw agirl v* after a particularly nasty ride back in ythe 1980's.

I know I should stop being surprised but it never stops amazing me just how many people do the same strange little things that I do and have the same little quirks!!!!!!!!!!

Laney xxx

SAME, SAME, SAME

To all of thee above. I am always stalking other peoples houses wondering what's going on in there who is sick who v* last. We are all in this together, I couldn't do anything but laugh because I am the same way if not worse. If I got a penny for every thing this emet has me do or think, I would be the richest woman in the world. Oh my goodness, to think I always thought I was the only one.

Wow! This is so funny to read all of these same things I do. Whats weird is I even look at the sidewalk, parking lot etc. for v*. If I were to find it, I always have to walk over and confirm it, and wonder what made that person sick. It is contagious? Are they sick still. Us emets are soooooo alike in our thoughts. I just wish everyone understood us like we understand eachother. Also, its so true that I am rational that v* is not the end of the world, until I fear me getting sick. Then all rationale is out the door and I am alone in this awful place I can't run from but want to so desperatly. Its such a bad phobia. I HATE IT!

While driving through a neighborhood, do you look at the houses and wonder if anyone is inside suffering from a sv* or v*ing?

OMG YES!!!!!!!!!!

Walk into a mall, movie theatre, school and think of it as a hotbed of germs?

YES!!

YES!!!

Be afraid of riding amusement park rides because you or someone else might v* or better yet, just walking through a carnival, you might see some v under a ride?

YES!!

As a child I was so afraid of waking up in the night and being sick that in my little mind I took an aspirin before going to bed because I thought it would prevent any sickness during the night. Also.......I would walk to school each day and make deals with God that if I didn't step on any cracks, he would make sure I wouldn't get a sv*

YES!!!! I walked to school, mile and a half, when I was in high school. Fearing someone may get ill on the bus. To this day I make 'deals' with God.

Thats enough weirdness for now.......... I feel embarrassed

Don't be. I am the same way as you. Kim

Yes! It has been many years since I last went inside a movie theater. Oh, yuck! To be stuck in there, in the dark, with all those people and who knows what on the floor and on the seats!

Also, when I travel on planes I tie up my hair so it doesn't touch the seat and then as soon as I get to my destination I take off my "contaminated" clothes and take a shower. I also never wear shoes in my house because there may be germs or v* on the bottoms! I actually wash my hands after tying my shoes because I may have touched some germs!

Do you keep a record of who the last person in your family to v* was?

With the carnivals and amusement parks, it's common knowledge to all my friends that I'm NOT riding the rides...I despise going mainly because I'm usually the person holding the beers and funnel cakes while everyone else is riding the rides. Isn't that crazy?? These people that load themselves up with alcohol and really unhealthy (though tasty) amusement park food are just DYING to get on a belly-bustin' ride! Boggles my mind...

I remember making deals with God, I'd try the barter though, like "Give me bronchitis! Give me pnuemonia! Just please spare me the V****!"

At the pharmacy I always look around and wonder if the medication people are getting are for someone at their house with a sv. Everytime. I also wonder on a daily basis if anyone has a sv in their house, or with families I know, I wonder if they've had it already or haven't had it yet. But my three closest friends' kids have not had it in several years, so that is good, but then again, that gets me to thinking that this may be the year they do! [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

OT, but funny:

While driving, ever had to pee soooo bad you actually think about how many bathrooms you're passing just to get back home to your safe, clean toilet??

If it makes you feel any better Ginger_Saves I have been using public transport for years since my mother doesn't drive and neither do I. I go on the train to and from London all the time and as I child when we lived near London we would make the journey up to Scotland and back by train. (5 or 6 hours each way) I travel from Scotland (where I live now) to manchester, to all over the place really. At least once every three months I'm on the train somewhere. I use buses everyday (Though I HATE them), trains and when I'm in London the underground and only twice on all of these journies have I seen someone being sick.

It doesn't stop me scanning the bus or whatever I am on to try and spot who I think looks sick or who might be sick or who is drunk etc.

When I was younger I used to only fear other people being sick, so much so that my deal with God was always "Don't let them be sick, let me throw up instead" [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img] Now it's changed and I'm petrified of it happening to me. I also used to think that if I let myself think the words "I want to be sick" then I would be sick so if I ever had that in my head I would take it back haha. What goes on in these brains of ours hey?

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I would examine my food to make sure there wasn't any dents or spots before I ate it........that is IF I would eat. I don't know how I stayed alive around the age of 7-8-9. Not only did I take an aspirin before going to bed to prevent getting sick during the night but I also thought that if I didn't eat then there wouldn't be anything to v* should the virus attack at any moment.

If someone in my family v*, I don't care how cold it was outside,(winters in Chicago)I stayed out all day as late as i could because of germs in the house and I didn't want to be exposed to any sounds of v* from whoever was sick. Then I would stay awake night after night until I thought I was safe from coming down with the virus. I lived in complete fear and panic as a child which in turn made me a target for bullying from other kids at school. Skinny, meek, pale, depressed and scared. I never felt safe.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] Summers were always better. I don't remember hearing about the sv* then. I was miserable. Then things got better during high school but returned again around 18. Panic attacks, anxieity, IBS depression constant n*[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] Right now i won't go to a crowded place such as shopping malls, walmart, gym, movie theatres.It is a hotbed of germs.I will go to the grocery store late at night but hate touching the handle of the cart.

Barbara

Girlie Girl