Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: My Mom

Hybrid View

I was just talking to my Mom on the phone....and we were talking about eating out and i said i don't like eating out (she doesn't know that i never eat out) because of a sick employee contaminating my food, especially with all the media reportrs on norovirus caught in restaraunts...and she goes, oh Sheri don't be so weird!...this is the reactions i get from people including my husband...this is why i don't tell anyone about my emet....my husband and kids know i fear vomiting...but not to the extreme extent i am....i only eat out when i have 2 like when me and my husband are out...and i dread it when we have 2 days off together, because of my fear of eating out...i always make up stuff like i'm not hungry or i'll eat later when i get home...he'll just think i'm a freak!!
    ~Sheri~

Same here. I have gotten to the point where I try to keep my mouth shut because my family laughs it off ( though I tell them with a straight face).They are on their own if they are sick! No joke. It sucks that people don't TRULY get it.
    -Bridgette

That just sucks!! Most people have no idea what we go through when we even think about eating out. My boyfriend knows all aobut my fear, and he never says anything to me about it. I mean he would much rather me, be calm and happy and full, than go to a resturant, and worry, not eat and be scared. What your mother said, just let it roll off your back, she has no idea about the fear we really feel, and she probably just can't comprehend it! And you know what, who cares what they think anyway...I would rather people think I am weird, than me panicing all night long, its just not worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by mitch04133

I would rather people think I am weird, than me panicing all night long, its just not worth it!

i totally agree with you there!.....i'm so jealous!!...you have a boyfriend who is understanding and supportive....i was thinking the other day that i wish that my husband was an emet...no worries about eating out...taking the kidseverywhere...i'm just tired of making excuses!Edited by: sheri-baby
    ~Sheri~

Oh i know I have avoided it for all winter. But my bf eats out for lunch like almost every day..and it scares the s*** outta me. I wish I could too, because I really miss pizza. But I just can't do it, you know? Dont feel bad I think most emets are like that
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I will eat out but not often and only at places I like and have been numerous times before.

Im lucky that my hubby is v understanding and my dad hates eating out anyway.

My mum like eating out but if we go together i always make sure its one of my favourite places (theres only a few in my town)

Laney xx

It sure can be the worst when people don't understand! I dated a guy last year who LOVED to go out and eat rich food. I told him I felt n* all the time and that I just couldn't eat all the time like he could. He suggested I have some sort of disease and then we broke up!

I love this site because finally there are OTHERS WHO UNDERSTAND ME!

i guess im fortunate that my boyfriend is semi-understanding. whenever we go out to eat we just pick stuff up and eat in his car or at his house. he doesnt say a thing about it. but when i have v* attacks and i tell him about it.. he gets upset and tells me i should just overcome my fear. he said thats how he faces it, and he believes anyone can do it as long as they try.

reading your post, sheri, i understand that im not the only one trying to deal with relationships and my emet. i just came out to my mother about it like.. 10 minutes ago. my eyes are red from crying but its a terrible relief. she lectured me on health for a while, but in the end she embraced me and cried with me, saying she was so sorry that she was part of triggering my disorder.

if your husband knows about your fear but doesnt understand the severity, i suggest you emphasize it now. i know from experience that it can control your life, and if you dont get him to understand what emet does to you, its only going to get worse.
    Dont let the fear control your life. Once you try it, you\'ll know its not as bad as you think.

-T.H.

it is such a relief to know there are others out there! I used to get the same kind of reaction (don't be weird, or try to be a little rational, or stop being ridiculous). i think FINALLY (and I'm 30 ) my parents really get that I am seriously terrified, but they still don't understand why I can't just stop worrying about it. i think they wish they had identified that it was a real problem and gotten me some help a lot earlier though.

i hear you. i just went through something similar with my mom. i think that people who don't care what's happening to their food when it's being prepared are weird. Edited by: shiva
    \"This too shall pass\"

yeah..i''m just sick of making s**t up to avoid hearing the comments..like how wierd i am and just get over it...blah blah blah!
    ~Sheri~