Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Just wondering: So many of us have the same weird symptoms. A few years ago I thought I may have celiac (an allergy to gluten in wheat). I went on a gluten-free diet and had no n* or symptoms for about a year. I then went back on the gluten to get tested and tested negative. Then after being back on the gluten I started getting n* again so now I'm back at square one.

I am certain part of my problem is emet because I have so many of the same habits and rituals as you all do. But I wonder if many of us have celiac and don't know it and that is initializing the n* which is causing the emetophobic panic attacks. The two could be working together in us. Have any of you considered celiac, been tested, gone off gluten, or seen an effect of this? I have heard there are false-negative tests for celiac. Celiac is also more common in people of white european or caucasian ancestry and according to the polls on this site that is what many sufferers of emet are (with exceptions of course). I've read that as many as one per 100 people have a sensitivity to gluten. Could this be your problem anyone? Or part of it?

Steph

Hmm I never even thought of that. I of course (ignorantly) was under the impression only something like wheat bread would have celiac in it (wheat gluten). I bet tho there are many things with it in it. I just dont know what those things are.

My uncle has celiac. I myself started cutting out gluten about 2 years ago when my n* was nonstop. I did see a major drop in n*. However, it's not just "you can't eat bread". You have to read every damn label until you want to rip your own eyes out. Most foods have thickeners that are labelled as "modified food starch". Often that is wheat starch. :-(

Um, I don't know. It's an interesting theory. It might apply to some people here, and if some people have it it definitely micht exacerbate the n*. But would everyone here really have it? Like, Someone wouldn't get emet just because they felt n* when they ate wheat. I'm sure some people here could have it and it would increase their n*, but it's definitely not the whole problem

Interesting theory though!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I am not ignoring this thread, I just can't help at all...

Celiac? Not a clue

I've been reading a book on this and I was thinking the same thing the other day. I was gluten free for 9 months because I was nursing my daughter who seemed to be sensitive to gluten. I added it back into my diet and noticed a lot more heartburn, headaches and *n.

And there is something called "gluten sensitivity" that doesn't show up with the celiac tests because it's not full blown celiac disease...and gluten sensitivity can cause all those same symptoms and a bunch of others.

Hi everyone,
    I wasn't trying to suggest this is an easy answer to emet. I'm sorry if it came across that way to anyone. I'm just suggesting that if you also have this problem and you get some relief it might help your n* to some extent. I am DEFINITELY not saying this is an easy fix for emet or a simple reason why you get emet. I hope this helps. I still think talking, reassurance, and support are important to fight this, too.

Steph