Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hairdresser

Ok so tomorrow I'm going to the hairdressers to get a haircut and some highlights. I was kind of looking forward to it because I'm going to get my fringe get cut back in and I grew itout so long ago.

Anyways, I'm kind of worried because I've been feeling really off for the past couple of days. I can deal with it at home where I can sit down and breathe whenever I need to, or stick my head out a window or something but if I'm stuck in the hairdresser's chair for an hour...

I am actually freaking out about this a bit, I can't even run away and look like an idiot because thats a crime and I have to pay and bla bla. If I start getting claustrophobic or n* in the chair (And the two tend to go together) what am I going to do? Plus I'm such a water freak at the moment, I'm drinking like 12 glasses a day and I honestly don't think there's going to be a bottle small enough to carry that will get me through the appointment.

Should I just cancel?

No don't cancel!

Most hairdressers are very polite, and i'm sure that you could bring a small bottle, and if you get nervous say that you are claustrophobic and could you please have some more water or go outside quickly for some air? They could watch you from the window to make sure that you don't run away.

I'm sure that you will do fine!!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

yea i agree with spilled_milk .

good for you on all the water! Don't cancel. I have been nervous like you and nothing happens. I dread salon visits ( even though I go to the same one for 4 years now)I just don't eat anything before I go because the last time I was rushing after work and was vurping up my lunch from the stress from rushing for appt. The last time I went, I was much better because I didn't eat, and I had a bottle of water. Maybe take a Dramamine an hour before.I took one 1.5 hours before my interview this morning-it saved me from all the n* from anxiety!!
    -Bridgette

Wow it was actually ok... I got my hair washed at the beginning which was nice and sort of calmed me down and I actually love the hair.

Yee!

Glad it worked out. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

NO! Don't cancel. The last time I went ot a hairdresser I was 19!! I'm 49 and went last year to have my hair frosted. My friend who is a hairdresser became somewhat bedridden with RSDS and bulimia for a few years, still is actually, and getting her here to do my hair was like pulling teeth. So I had to go to the salon and the girl who did my hair was so nice. I sat there for almost 2 hours. I'm a bit agoraphobic but I did it and so can you! Look at a magazine or strike up a conversation. She then moved to another salon 20 mins away and again I went there for a cut and set. Then they moved her again 30 mins. away and I couldn't go. I called her and found out she actually lives 5 mins. away so she comes here. You can do it, if I can after all those years you can to. Good luck and let us know how it goes! Kim

I am a HairStylist.

Listen, We see it all and when I say it all, I mean it all.

My job is basically like a Therapist. My clients are either drug addicts, strippers, rich housewives who are having affairs with the pool boy and bitchy women...You would be a breath of fresh air...trust me.

Also, My Salon and most Salons have beverages...ask for water.

Good luck