Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was wondering what some of you do. I'm curious only because I know that some of us have severe cases of emet and I would imagine some of us keeping away from classrooms, planes, toy stores, restaurants etc. Places where our emet is athigh red alert.

So, surprise me. I'll start

I work or worked, I just call about ten minutes ago to quit, lol[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]. At a restaurant as a server and thank God, I nver had any v* incidents there. At other restaurants I worked at I did, and it was horrible! Especially if it happened in your section of tables. The customers expect you to clean it up. uhhh sorry buddy I don't think so![img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]
    ***Elvia***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am a 911 Dispatcher. I dispatch police, fire and EMS.

Doesn't really affect my emet, but when the guys come in after arresting someone I always make sure they wash their hands before touching any food and stuff.Edited by: mitch04133

That seems like a emet friendly job [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    ***Elvia***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I did a high school co-op in a day care. Oh man, I don't know what I was thinking!! My emet wasn't as bad back then. I did come across some v* as it was sv* season when I was there. I didn't catch a sv*, but I did catch the chicken pox at 17 years old!![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] It wasn't funny back then, but I think it is now!

I also worked in a restaurant, but it wasa v* free experience. I mostly worked in factories where I think it's pretty emet safe.

I'm a university lecturer.

My department has over 2000 students and I guess it seems like it wouldn't be the most emet friendly job. Still, I've been working there for 17 years and believe it or not, I have only ever encountered v* once! I've also never heard of a sv passing round the students (touching wood as I type!)

...Edited by: SimplyMe
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I just quit my last job where I worked as a flight attendant, and I start training as a flight attendant again for a different airline in January. I had a few emet issues at my last airline, and I do expect some in my new job, but at least this time I won't be the only FA onboard and I feel much more equipped to handle such things.

My worst job by far (emet-wise) was when I worked as a cocktail waitress at a gentleman's club years back---it was actually stated in my job description that I had to clean up v* in my section with that sprinkle stuff. I was fine for months until I had the bachelor party from hell come in. Strange thing is, I actually cleaned it up! The money was way to good to pass up!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I'm a special education pre school teacher. Before this, I taught
    2nd grade for 12 years...not the greatest job for an emet. but I love
    teaching!
    Julie

I'm a receptionist for the New York State Department of State: Office of Fire Prevention and Control. Basically I work right under the State Fire Administrator...I hate answering phones all day but hey, it pays good! Not really anything that sets off my emet, plus everybody around me is a germophobe so everyone has Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer everywhere, which makes me feel safer ^_^

i am the Office Coordinator for a Transmission Hydraulic company. I do the payroll, human resources, new hires and any other pidley things that needs to be done. I am also the assistant to 12 supervisors. it is a great job. there are over 100 warehouse workers there as well...si being 1 of 12 women there.....i get sexually harrased everyday....but as they say in vegas....what happens in vegas...stays in vegas...we say what happends at Muncie...stays at Muncie. they just know NOT to touch me appropriatly.

well other than being a full time mommy, I was a banker before and most likely i will get back to doing that here in oregon!
    ♥LIDIA&hearsts;

I am currently a full time student at univestity (studying law) and i work at two jobs a jewellery store monday -thursday and a shoe store fri-sun. The only emet experiences i have had was at school , i always hear it in the bathroom and saw it a couple of times ( the university is in the middle of downtown so we have a lot of drunks walking around and getting sick everywhere) iv kinda learned to ignore it. I like both jobs andone of the girls i work with always gets sick because she has problems with her stomach so im used to it now and i know it isnt anything i can catch.

I work at a fabric store, and I enjoy it tho its close contact with the public all the time. There has only been one v* incidence when I have worked (the guy was coughing so much he v*ed in the store). I usually tend not to think about the bugs that could be going around. I only tend to freak when I am not feeling good and have to go in, but I'm getting better at it.

I teach English to 12-13 year olds, I have about 150 students that I teach directly but my school has about 1200. Before that I worked at an elementary school. I encounter a lot of v*. When I started out, the kids would try to play on my fear but I got wise and keep it to myself now! One upside: I am completely desensitized to seeing others v* now. I just worry about myself catching something from them.

I used to work in various offices as an office manager. Unfortunately, my emet is so bad that I have either walked out at lunch time or quit over the phone when a sv* was going around the office.I just couldn't handle it.

I went to school and got my Paralegal degree and recently passed a very thorough background check and exam to become a Certified Legal Document Preparer, which is pretty much right below attorney work-wise. Now I started my own business and work from my home office. The only contact I have with the public is meeting my clients in coffee shops. I also prepare doc's for a company in Colorado from home, so it all works well. I love what I do

~*~Charlene~*~

I am a registered nurse. Dont even ask what I was thinking![img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

I love my profession though!

an RN?![img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]Yikes you have cohones! lol
    ***Elvia***

Quote Originally Posted by madisonsmom

I am a registered nurse. Dont even ask what I was thinking![img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

I love my profession though!
    Lol what on EARTH were you thinking??! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Seriously tho I very much admire you. That cannot be easy! Do you have to deal with v* quite regularly, or is it just an every now and then kind of thing?

server at a restaurant

I dont deal with a lot of v*. I work in a rehab...the kind with brain injuries, strokes, hip replacements, etc. The have a quick stay and they go home.

I am getting ready to go back to school to major in psychiatric nursing.

There are so many fields in nursing thank God!! I dont necessarily have to work with "sick" people![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Currently, I work in HR and Accounting, but I have a new job coming that is only accounting ( which I am happy about).I don't evenknowhow I fell into accounting, sincemath was never my thing inschool! I will just take it as a possible career path for me at this point.I remember I once had a job ina hospital ( about 10 years ago)where I packaged items for the OR department. Sometimes I would get bloody blood pressure cuffs, airways with v* in them, rectum probes with s* on it( have to send them back to be cleaned)and I was notthat grossed out by it!I did get very sick at that job all the time-too many germs and viruses to be exposed to. I was there for a year before I got into office work. I don't want to work in medical ever again!
    -Bridgette

I am a rn also. I work at a pediatric hospital on a neurology floor[img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]so I get great exposure therapy

To all of the nurses:

I just wanna tell you that you have my deepest, sincere respect. I made it to LPN in nursing school, worked a bit, then fropped out of the RN program because it was too emotional and my emet was too bad to keep going.

I respect you, both for being a nurse despite being emet, and most of all, for the work you do for people.

My mom was in a nursing home for 3 years and died iin 2004, and she had the best nurses who took such good care of her and spoiled her rotten I gained a new respect for nurses because my Mom never would have gotten through her hard times if it wasn't for them holding her hand when she needed them.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Thank you!!! I appreciate that. It really is a rewarding job even on its bad days just to see my patients get well and go home makes me happy

Well, im in highschool so I don't have a real job, but I will deff. share my moms very Emet related job.

She is a 2nd Grade teacher, and she comes home with stories at least twice a week how the same kid v*. I dont know why she feels she must share these stories with me, but w/e. She wants me to come visit her class on "bring your daughter to work day", but I'm terrified the kid will v* because its literally a 99.9999% chance he will.

I'm a high school student, but i'm sixteen so i just got a job at a mcdonalds...it's actually not that bad v* wise, most people dont go to eat fast food when they feel n*. The only bad thing is if I feel sick, then sometimes the smell gets to me, plus i have really long hours on the weekends.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Got an interview for a job in an opticians. Have already worked part time for an optician for 6 months and now want to go full time and leave college where im currently a performing arts student. Hope it goes ok. Its on the 2nd Jan

Quote Originally Posted by californiagirl

To all of the nurses:

I just wanna tell you that you have my deepest, sincere respect. I made it to LPN in nursing school, worked a bit, then fropped out of the RN program because it was too emotional and my emet was too bad to keep going.

I respect you, both for being a nurse despite being emet, and most of all, for the work you do for people.

My mom was in a nursing home for 3 years and died iin 2004, and she had the best nurses who took such good care of her and spoiled her rotten I gained a new respect for nurses because my Mom never would have gotten through her hard times if it wasn't for them holding her hand when she needed them.

Thank you! I am glad that you had a good experience with nurses in a nursing home. I see more often than not nurses that do not take the time to hold a hand or offer sincere support. They are too busy with paperwork, etc. To me, nurses need to be their for patients and hold a hand. That mean so much to a patient. I know that I find it so rewarding when you have a patient just say "Thank you for being here for me". It is awesome and makes nursing so worthwhile. I know some nurses that do not like patient care and just like the paperwork. UGH! I hate the paperwork and love direct patient care.

Quote Originally Posted by madisonsmom
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagirl

To all of the nurses:

Thank you! I am glad that you had a good experience with nurses in a nursing home. I see more often than not nurses that do not take the time to hold a hand or offer sincere support. They are too busy with paperwork, etc. To me, nurses need to be their for patients and hold a hand. That mean so much to a patient. I know that I find it so rewarding when you have a patient just say "Thank you for being here for me". It is awesome and makes nursing so worthwhile. I know some nurses that do not like patient care and just like the paperwork. UGH! I hate the paperwork and love direct patient care.

Oh, they were great!! I know that's hard to find in a nursing home, but I think it helped that they knew there was a family member there at least 5 times/week also, and that my mom was coherent and able to tell us if she was being treated unproperly. BUT, I did see how the nurses interacted with other patients that didn't have regular visitors, and they were just awesome. I highly recommend La Palma Nursing Home in Anaheim, California.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I am the manager (not much to manage- I am the only one here) of a high end photo lab that is within a camera store. My job is currently very emet, family and school friendly. The store manager pretty much sends people home if they come in sick and I have very little customer contact. I make my own schedule- which pretty much just goes around Jade's schedule and I am able to do some of my school work at work when we are slow. That rocks.

As far as non friendly emet jobs that I have recently had, the top 2 would be either being a portrait photographer. (you wouldn't believe the condition some parents would bring their kids in just to get a portrait for the annual christmas card... one had a puke bag on hand and was yelling at me to hurry up and shoot before her kid got vomit on his shirt-ugh) The other was photographing babies at two local hospitals. This was only bad when either the babies would be vomiting (no- not spitting up- gagging, choking, etc. ) or when the mom would have a c-section and be ill after the delivery. Yikes. I hope I never have a c-section. It looks scary.

I was in school for psychology, but I think I have changed my mind. I am not sure what I am doing with myself now, but I am thinking of becoming certified in massage therapy and taking my teacher training in yoga. I would like to keep my lab job- as I love it and teach yoga and massage/baby massage to pregnant couples on the side. Who knows?

\"This too shall pass\"