Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I know that with painkillers and some other drugs it is possible to buld up a tolerance. Is the same true for anti-emetics such as Dramamine and Bonine?

Not that I am aware of. Some can build a resistance to the drowsy effect. I do know that it is not fully understood why the antihistamine line of antiemetics works other than the fact that is reduces inner ear activity (which effects equalibrum and is part of the same area of the brain that controls v*).

My daughter does not respond to the antihistamine type antiemetics at all. She has to take Zofran or as I like to call it "miracle in a bottle"! LOL

that's funny you ask that, i was wondering the same thing...a lot of times i take dramamine to sleep, and then the other night i was thinkin, what if i build a tolerance and when i really need it for nausea it won't work!!...but like john said, you do build a tolerance to the drowsiness part..
    ~Sheri~

Yes, I've heard that it is possible.

I know that once a long time ago I started getting hives all the time for some reason, probably a lingering effect of a virus I had....well I took benadryl for it but eventually the benadryl stopped working. Eventually the hives just passed on their own, and now after not taking it for a long time benadryl works for me again. So in my experience it is possible to build up a tolerance to antihistamines. I can only assume that the same effect is possible for antihistamines which treat nausea.

Edited by: chicajojobe

Yep- you can build up a tolerance to antiemetics.

Like any drug, the more you use it, the more accustomed your body becomes to it, and it will then take more of it for it to have the same effect.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ok, well then I gotta start kicking the habit. It has become so bad that even i f I feel a little "off" I am running for the Dramamine. Yay.

I am glad to know this and this is why I only take dramamine and ginger pills when I absolutely feel overwhelmed by n* not by mild queasiness that comes and goes day in and day out.
    -Bridgette