Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was just wondering how people feel about references made on this site to local outbreaks of norovirus, and the inclusion of links to pages in the press which give details of the exact location of the outbreaks.

As always, this is just my opinion, but I'm bemused as to how useful this information is, and in what way it serves to support our emet community. There have been posts recently where it is clear that people have been in blissful ignorance of a sv outbreak in their state, but then they found out through this site, and it scares the s*** out of them. Is this useful? Is it right? Does it contradict what this site is or should be about?

Sometimes it seems we scare each other, make each other more anxious. Does it help to know something is happening in your area, or does it just fuel this phobia?

I would just like opinions on this. I ask because earlier this year I got to hear about a sv that was in my area. When I heard about it, I was obsessed. I tracked it via the press and I lived in panic for weeks, not for myself, but for my kids - schools were affected. Anyway, I worried incessantly, put my life on hold....but my kids still got it! In short, my worrying saved nothing, but life might have been more pleasant for everyone had I not have known about it in the first place.

Personally if there is an sv in my area I'd rather not know as what I don't know about I can't worry about! We may even worry about catching it so much we end up making ourselves ill with anxiety. I guess you could look at it from a different perspective though - if you know a virus is doing the rounds in your area you can be extra careful, looking after your immune system by eating extra healthily and being extra vigilant with hygiene etc But personally I'd rather not know!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Suze, this is an excellent point you raise. This site is supposed to be here to provide information and support to people who suffer from this phobia - not to scare people or make them MORE vigilant therefore more anxious. Nor should it be a place to get ideas about how to avoid what you fear. Avoidance is what ruins lives and makes the phobia worse.

On a practical note, you are so right. Knowing that norovirus is in your area doesn't help anything. Because even if it isn't, someone who is 24 hours BEFORE they get symptoms can spread it to you anyway. So you'd theoretically have to fear every person in this world, every day of the year. What kind of life is that?

I wonder if we shouldn't create some rules about this and disallow fearful topics like that. How about others let us know what you think.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I really do get pancked when I see an article on how bad the norovirus is, but having said that, if I read that, I would want to come here and get some reassurance. But maybe just saying, "hey I read this thing and it really scared me, help" is better than putting the whole thing on there, details and symtoms and all. There's something about hearing stories second-hand, like how one of our families had the sv, that's a little easier to take than an essay of all the horrible things norovirus does and where it is specifically. Because its not gonna make us more diligent, we're already there. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Just my opinion, but I'd be open to more! Janna

I'd rather not know about where an outbreak is. I can get obsessed too and it really gets me down. I like to come on here to be amongst others who share the same phobia. Sometimes though, i read some posts and get really scared.

wel i totally agree with suze on this one....i have been afraid to say anything about this, because sometimes i don't know how to say things the right way....in the past someone put up an entire article on an outbreak...i made a comment like "what's the point of this article?" i know it's sounds insensitive, but i really got blasted from other members....i think it's gotten way outta hand and thank you Suze for posting this!
    ~Sheri~

I'm torn. On one hand I understand where you are coming from, Suze. Everytime I read it (which I try to aviod) I cringe. However, when someone posted about the food poisoning at Taco Bell, I was grateful that I knew about it. Also, I think some people post it because it is on their mind and want support. I know that if there was a horrible virus outbreak where I live I would want to tell you guys so you could calm me down. Maybe there could be an "outbreak" thread or separate area of the forum so people could post it and people that went there would know what they were getting in to? I just don't think it should be disallowed. If it's emet related then I think you should be able to post it. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]I'm in the minority on this one I think.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Hmmmm[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Well I know I've both post news links and have been freakout by reading about them too.

I see both sides and support the efforts Sage wants for the forum but information being "disallowed"? If I may...............:

New.Slang rasied a good point about the Olive Garden and Taco Bell issues, granted one involved E. Coli the other Norwalk virus. Locally in my home town, a local Country Club had a 600 person Norwalk outbreak in which my Grandmother was a victim and at her age Norwalk can be deadly and E Coli is deadly if not damaging to the body. Information like this potentialy saves lives. Can it also cause panic? Yes.

Now my family and I were to have eaten at the Country Club the following night but heard that day from my Grandmother that she, my counsin and his children along with others at their table all became ill the night before. Granted I was tipped off by someone not on this board but the information helped me protect my family as well as myself because the spread continued the foloowing two nights.

I want to better cope with my fear but i don't want to stick my head in the sand either. Part of coping and existing in a "NORWALK" world would have to include dealing with media reports, person to person information or post on this forum. I'd rather know in advance and have the option not to KNOWINLY exposes myself. Yes, what I don't know may or may not hurt me but if I can have the option to choose I'd like to. Knowledge is power and for me it helps me but at the same time I get a bit worked up. However I do that if a coworker tells me they've v* all night.

Can the topic be put in a section called "MEDIA REPORTS" or "OUTBREAKS"..that would be fine. I mean we already censor the words v*, d* and n* and preface things with *****graphic****

Folks a forum is just that a FORUM a round-table, discussion of ideas thoughts and view points. You can restrict membership but I don't think you should ever restrict the human voice or in this case text as long as it is meant to help.

Just my thoughts on it. I love everyone here and will always be able to extract the things I need here that help me.

I agree with Johnlp and new.slang on the restairant issue. I think that we are doing a good deed for all of our friends here when we inform each other about certain restaurant illness articles because it enables us to protect ourselves and our families from sickness. We would also tell our non-emet friends about these places to protect them.

As for the articles: If people do want to read about them, then they should have that opportunity, just the same for anyone who doesn't want to read about them. Maybe a headline could read something like this: SV OUTBREAK,, then we will all know what that means, and anyone is free to either read it or not read it. That way it's fair to everyone.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I personally hate to see these come up, but it does show that over in America they do bring this up in the media alot more than they do over here.

Also, can we really rely on these? are they always 100% right, or do they blow this out of proportion?

We are all scared enough about these situations happens and will take many risks not to come into contact with these things..

Do you think instead of a ban there should be an actual thread that can just be kept for that actual "situation" headed SV/FP Outbreak, or something to that affect, so, if we want to check up and read whats going on we can, if not, we know where it is and dont have to click on it.

Edited by: violet

I TOTALLY see your point, and I would like for them to not be allowed..I HAVE posted about a sv once, and I apologize, after posting I realized it could scare some people, and I don't want that...I am in the same boat as you, I love this site..BUT, since finding it, my emet has actually gotten WORSE.

This is a great wake up I think for many emets. My biggest pet peeve about this site(even though I love it for many reasons) is that is has been known to promote aviodance behaviours - like different ways of avioding getting sick, as well as reasurance.. which is great, but we all know, as emets, I don't think there is EVER enough reasurance that can be given to make us feel "safe". Reasurance is justa band aid to keep up from worrying untill next time.

this site needs to focus on getting better - promoting different types of therapy, which sage does wonderfly. Also, its great to write about how emet us makes us feel, but we can't let it act as a safeguard from living our lives.

this site can act as a form of positive reinforcement to get over this fear - it provides all the tools - it just needs to be used in the right way.

I don't think any topics should be banned - I think that the idea of putting it in a new forum is a great idea.

Edited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I completely 100% agree with Suze- I don't think anything positive results from this, and if anything, it doesn't make people more diligent (because, let's face it, there is nothing we can really do), it makes them more fearful.

Even in regards to restaurants- most "outbreaks" are isolated incidents that happen at one particular location, and don't affect a chain as a whole. And they are usually detected fairly early and the situation addressed....so in possibly warning the 1 or 2 people on this board who may be in that general area, you are also making hundreds who aren't affected by it scared and more likely to practice avoidance, even though it does not directly affect them.

I know it is all done in good intentions- but many things done in intention to help often end up beingharmful in the longrun. ALso, posts that have *graphic* in the title often get more hits believe it or not- and I think that for most members, the temptation would be too great.

It's obvious that we all have computers- if someone wanted to find out about an outbreak in their area they can easily use google, yahoo, or other search/news sites.I just don't think it should necessarily be on this board if it accomplishes more harm than good.

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

I'm so glad you posted this. I'd actually been considering taking a break because of this. Obviously as an emet I understand the fear and need to feel "in control" and when someone has an sv or their family member, co worker etc then OF COURSE that's what we're here for, to support each other but like influenza, the flu flu right? I looked online for the incident rate in my state and it's at the highest level ... yet I don't know anyone w/ the flu. I feel the same w/ sv ... if I don't know anyone WITH it, I don't think about it (OK when I go out I do a little but I wash my hands and do all the precautions I normally do). Anyhow, sorry to get on a tangent. Maybe we could make ONE thread for the "where in the world is the sv" then people who want to post links and stats for whatever area (and those who want to read it) can and those who don't, don't have to and aren't flooded w/ it. Just a thought. Happy New Year, guys!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I say put it up as a poll question and let the majority speak. Then take action from there. I think that would be fair. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

However, I must say this though, you can not have a FORUM and then tell folks what to post or not post based on your opinion or a group opinion.Some might find the information helpful, others it invokes fear. Who is right?

Answer----The perseption of the individual.

I think there should be a special 'topic' where you could find the info. Some days I want to know where it is rampant, others I don't.

I'd like to respectfully weigh in on this issue if I may:

I found this site about a month and a half ago and have had something weird happen: in the past week I've had three panic attacks including heart palpitations, hyperventilating, and the whole bit. I haven't had these in years! Could it be connected? I found I stayed off the site a few days and feel much better but I feel I've been thinking about my problem more lately, in fact, thinking about v* more lately than I normally do. I started out wanting to just educate myself but it sort of snowballed, I think.

This site is wonderful, it is finally good to know what my problem is, why I've had this mysterious stomach pain, nausea, inability to eat for so long. It is good to have so many supportive people on here to talk to and to know you are all around if I need anyone. But I don't think it has been healthy for me to obsess about the Norwalk virus during this time of year, and I think that has caused some of my anxiety. As for the posts about outbreaks, I don't think it is necessarily bad for someone to post them. In the U.S. we pretty much hear about our outbreaks anyway on the news.

I do think it might help if we label posts by categories, as John suggested. But the bottom line is we (and I speak for myself!) must take ownership of ourselves and use moderation in everything, including reading every post on this site. Overdoing any type of reading on this site is probably not a good idea for any of us.

Blessings to you all!

Quote Originally Posted by johnlp

I say put it up as a poll question and let the majority speak. Then take action from there. I think that would be fair. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

However, I must say this though, you can not have a FORUM and then tell folks what to post or not post based on your opinion or a group opinion.Some might find the information helpful, others it invokes fear. Who is right?

Answer----The perseption of the individual.

Wrong--- the mods and admin are always right. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Haha, just kidding. Good idea John. [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

A poll's a good idea. Even so, it is sort of a "freedom of speech" thing, isn't it? I know I try not to censor anything unless it's sexual content, swearing, or people just get nasty and argumentative and no good is coming of it.

We could put up a separate section or designate one section for news about Norwalk, etc...but would people not just click on it even though they don't want to? (I think when I was phobic, I might have done that.)

Once I figure out how to word a poll, I'll put one up and see what's what.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlp
    I want to better cope with my fear but i don't want to stick my head in
    the sand either. Part of coping and existing in a "NORWALK" world
    would have to include dealing with media reports, person to person
    information or post on this forum. I'd rather know in advance and have
    the option not to KNOWINLY exposes myself. Yes, what I don't know may
    or may not hurt me but if I can have the option to choose I'd like to.
    Knowledge is power and for me it helps me but at the same time I get a
    bit worked up. However I do that if a coworker tells me they've v* all
    night.
    I agree with you John. I am not terrified of catching the common cold, however I do like to know where it's prevalent so i do not unnecessarily expose myself to it.

I couldn't agree more Suze, this is EXACTLY why I took a break. I can be fine and not worrying and then hear about an outbreak and it sets me off. Ignorance truely is bliss. I don't want to censor anyone but just because it's a forum also does not mean there cannot be rules about what is posted or not. There is one ED forum that does not allow any posts on promoting avoidance of eating or topics about health that really need to be answered by a Dr. It works wonderfully as everything is geared toward recovery.

Anyway, I know some people say they find it a "comfort" but I'm not one of them!

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

We could put up a separate section or designate one section for news about Norwalk, etc...but would people not just click on it even though they don't want to? (I think when I was phobic, I might have done that.)

ITA....This is what I was thinking about last night, I think I would still be tempted to look..

Quote Originally Posted by hippychick
    I couldn't agree more Suze, this is EXACTLY why I took a break. I can be fine and not worrying and then hear about an outbreak and it sets me off. Ignorance truely is bliss. I don't want to censor anyone but just because it's a forum also does not mean there cannot be rules about what is posted or not. There is one ED forum that does not allow any posts on promoting avoidance of eating or topics about health that really need to be answered by a Dr. It works wonderfully as everything is geared toward recovery.

Anyway, I know some people say they find it a "comfort" but I'm not one of them!

The very reason I stirred the pot a couple weeks ago by my post and the very reason I rarely post anything anymore.

My Emet has gotten worse from said topics and I have really stayed away from here. I hate that because I love everyone here and used to find this site very helpful. Now it's all about avoidance, avoidance, avoidance and not on recovery.

Amen Suze!