Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey, I have to say this.
    I am being the bearer of bad news, yet, hoping to get some kind of response that will contradict MY comment.

My son who is almost 13, has had a sv at one time or another during each season, at some point. (did that make sense?) Everytime I personally tell someone, they say the same old thing. "its going around" No joke. I work with the public, and I swear, no matter when you inquire about it, people say its going around. If you call the ER at any given time I would almost guarantee they would say "its going around". So, having said that, what are we to do/believe about this virus. IS IT ALWAYS GOING AROUND? or do people only say that? I can't wait for responses to this question.

I agree with you. And I've heard that it technically does "always" goes around...it's just worse during the winter months because people's immune systems are lowered. All I know is that I would take a cold or even influenza over a sv* ANYDAY of the year.

it seems like it is way more common around winter months but apparently it is always going around i dont know whats up with that , its kinda wierd.

It is the second most common virus after colds is what I've heard. But for everyone on this board it is still pretty rare. That should be encouraging.

yeah, I would take strep throat, pnemonia (however you spell it), repiratory virus, and break my leg all at the same time over one day of sv. I am not being funny. I MEAN IT SINCERELY!!!!

I do too! Not even kidding!

I did break my ankle 5-31-06, and had to have surgery of a pin and a plate with 7 screws. I didn't give two s***s about anything but NOT throwing up after general anesthesia. I begged and pleaded with the anesthesiologist NOT to let me throw up. He said, I can give you a "cocktail" which means a mixture of anti-emetics. He told me I would probably not feel well. I would have a weird "out of body experience". I said I DON'T CARE WHAT I FEEL LIKE! Just don't let me throw up or even feel nauseated. (because we all know that in reality, Nausea is as bad or worse because it triggers the worse anxiety and dreadful "anticipation".) So long story short, I didn't throw up or even feel nauseated. I did however have the worst time keeping my eyes open. It really did suck. I was instantly alert, yet couldn't focus my eyes or talk for like 12 hours---literally! It DID suck. Almost a claustrophobic feeling, yet I was still happy to not have been sick. Point you ask? If you need anesthesia, ask for a cocktail of anti-emetics. They work like a charm. Not one flash of nausea. It was great.

sv* is always going around. Just like colds.

by the way, I don't think you'd wanna have pneumonia!!!!! At least, not the severity I had it. It was Saturday of mid-winter break in 2002, so I was 10. Basically, I woke up just fine and everything. Then around lunch time i started feeling REALLY cold. But I ate anyway. I just couldn't understand why the hell i was soooo cold. Well anyway, after lunch I took a nap. But then I woke up feeling really N* so I went back to bed. Then I woke up again 6 PM and my mom was there. And I told her to bring me the garbage can cuz i was gonna v*. and I did. Basically I ended up v*ing the whole night, and all of Sunday. no d* though. and my peak fever was 106 degrees. that was Sunday night, when my parents decided I should be admitted to the ER. My first *knocks wood* and ONLY visit. *knocks wood*. it was like... 10 at night. And I didn't get to come home til 5 AM. But anyway it was soooo bad. The doctors were poking needles into me left and right. luckily I didn't v* or even dry heave at the hospital. but OMG I felt so bad. At first they thought I just had a bad sv* or fp*. But then when my mom told them I'd also been having a bad cough and then the heard me cough, they took me to x-ray my lungs. and when they brough the results back to us, they basically said I had severe pneumonia in both lungs, really deep down, and that if I hadn't come to the hospital... I .... could've had some really bad things happen to me [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img].

so ya. YOU DO NOT want pneumonia. I'd rather die than relive that day. Or should I say those couple days.

I think one reason it seems like sv is so common is that non-emets seem
    to v* more easily and for a variety of reasons. What they call sv
    might be fp or overeating. Non-emets that I know don't find it to
    be a big deal to v*- it's just a normal thing to do! Some people
    also tend to v* when they have congestion or a fever, even if it isn't
    related to a sv.

We're just more attuned to it because we're afraid of sv's because they
    aren't as controllable as other things that lead to v*. For
    example, if I hear that a co-worker got sick, but that it was related
    to medication or fp, I don't get as scared because it isn't contagious
    like sv's are.

And doesn't it seem like people always want to talk about v* when they have been sick (I mean even non-emets) maybe for sympathy? Maybe it is sort of mysterious to all of us. But why? It's weird people are like that. People are weird, me included. Whenever I am out of school for ANY reason, the day I get back my students all want to know "Were you sick? What did you have? What did you do?" and conversely when they are out they always want to give each other the gory details. Maybe it's a cultural thing. Doesn't it seem like the U.S., the U.K., and Canada (and maybe Australia) have more emets than other countries? Maybe more of an unhealthy overall cultural obsession with vomit as well? What the heck?

I think it's truly always going around, just sometimes more than others. My friend's son got it mid August of this year.

Our doctor told us one time that some of the sv's actually peak in late summer. Aug/Sept. The worst one my son has ever had was in June. The worst ones my oldest daughter has had were in Aug. and in Jan. one year. The worst one my youngest daughter has had was in Nov. I think that "its" always going around somewhere, but I do think that its worse at some times more than others. Like, one year it may be really bad during the winter when another year it may be worse during the spring or summer. I think that the weather plays a part in it too.

The worst ones our family had were in March, so now I hate March. But we also had one in MAY!!! That one really upset me. Most are in winter though. Think of it this way, for the virus to live, it has to go around alllll year. Sorry to say that there is not really a totally safe time.....</font>

Such is life, huh?!

I had a day of v* and d* summer 2002. Do you think that may have been sv*? The pattern was n*, d*, n*, perfectly fine, ate dinner at my fave restaurant,n*, dry heaves, v*. than I was fine.

If you check the Center for Disease Control's website, they say that norwalk-like viruses sort of "travel" across the country in winter months and back off some in the summer....they track them and somewhere I've visited it shows tracking from other years. But I imagine with our world being a global village and so much air travel - the viruses can be all over, everywhere just about anytime. For what it's worth, it's not worth worrying all the time. Year in and year out, most of us never get these viruses ever. It "went around" our church this December (where I work) and I took no particular precautions and I didn't catch it. !

Anyway I don't know what any of that means - just a thing to say I guess.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To put mine in: I work at a school and I've never caught it. Worried about it on a daily basis, but never caught it. I use Purell but I also touch a ton of sticky doorknobs. I even used a phone right after a kid with symptoms had called his mom on that same phone (she wanted to talk to me when he called her) and I still didn't catch it.

Maybe I'm immune, I don't know.