Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I went on Xanax a couple years ago for my anxiety. I swear I have'nt slept a full night since and I'm exhausted!!!My therapist says no but I'm sure it is from those damn pills . I'm afraid to ask my new Dr.(who was'nt happy about re-newing my script.)because part 2 of my problem is that I am addicted. I tried weening myself off them twice and I could'nt do it. The past fewnights ,they really have'nt even worked for my anxiety and I want to up the dose-but I'm sure a red flag will go up with my Dr. I am prescribed 1mg-which is low but, then I REALLY won't sleep. It's like-I can fall asleep, butI wake in the middle of the night and just toss and turn. When I DO sleep, I have so much stuff going on in my brain. Dreams, music, like a movie I don't wanna be in-but I'm partially aware I'm in it and can't stop it. If anyone has any advice, that would be greatly appreciated. Though, I know none of you are professionals-I'm just looking for opinions. Thanks!! Donna
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Xanax is very short-acting which makes it good for panic attacks.
    It shouldn't be taken for sleep. I'm surprised your doctor
    prescribed it for sleep. There are MUCH better medications for
    sleep that are longer-lasting and more appropriate. Ask your
    doctor about Ambien or Lunesta, and describe what you said, that
    you can't get a full night's sleep. I've tried both Ambien and
    Lunesta and they work. Doctors don't have as much of an issue
    with prescribing them because they are meant to be taken long-term
    unlike Xanax.

Why do you think you are addicted to Xanax? Do you mean you have
    to take more and more of them to get the same effect? If you have
    to take more and more, then probably you need to physically take a
    break from Xanax and it's not working for you anymore. Don't be
    discouraged, you have lots of options. You're looking for
    help. That's a good thing!

I would highly recommend getting off the Xanax. That stuff is highly addictive and people even have to get treatment for addiction with it. Please, try to wean slowly off the stuff and get a better presciption that is non-addictive.

When I can't sleep, I take either Dramamine or Benadryl. Those are non-addictive and make me fall asleep within 45 minutes of taking them.

I would definitely tell your doctor what's going on. Especially if the xanax isn't working anymore. You probably developed a tolerance for it. You'll just have to keep increasing it for it to take effect, and that's very dangerous! Please be honest with the doc about this. You don't want to mess around with Xanax addiction. I've seen it firsthand, and it's not pretty. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I got put on it for panic attacks and when I took them occasionally, it was okay. then a couple years ago, I hyperventilated and my therapist told me with everything going on in my life at that time to take it daily. Now when I've tried to stop taking them, I get very jumpy and agitated and I can't sleep at all. Like how you feel when you've had to much caffeine-that's how I feel . I tried an anti- depressant but it made me nauseas so that's the only reason I started with the Xanax. I needed something but now that I'm not having attacks anymore, I really wish I could get off of them. I'm afraid of sleeping pills because I have two kids and the thought of not being able to wake right up if I needed to scares me.
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Maybe you should talk to your doctor about trying the antidepressants again, which I would think might help with getting off the Xanax. When I took antidepressants, I was only n* the first couple weeks as my body was getting used to the new med. And even though I ws n*, I never v* from it. And then after that initial period was over, it actually helped with the n* rather than cause it. Just an idea...Hope you're feeling better soon!

You could try one of the Controlled Release formulas of the anti-depressants. They have less harsh side effects. I am sure your doctor can set up some type of weaning schedule for the Xanax--maybe .25 mg at a time, stretched out over the course of a few weeks. The longer you are on it, the worse the withdrawal will be. You could also take less harsh sleeping pills that will make you drowsy enough to fall asleep, but still able to be aroused from sleep if your kids need you or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.