Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Balloons

Now I know I can tell you all about this one without you laughing at me - I'm terrified of balloons! In our local shopping mall there's always someone making balloon animals outside the children's wear shop - I have to cross to the other side of the mall and my daughter complains that I'm squeezing her hand too tight! The strangest thing is, though, I'm not scared of 'tiger tail' balloons (the long - about 6 foot - ones that you blow up with a little straw, then let them go so that they fly round the room, then you can pick them up and play again) - they are great fun, as long as nobody runs their fingers down the sides of one and makes it squeak (I cringe just thinking about it - makes me physically shudder).

I know this is not emet related (other than the damn things making me so nervous I end up slightly nauseous!), but it feels good to be able to get this one out in the open.

Jill xxx

awww, cant say iv ever had that myself, and i dont know of neone who has.

fears are quite odd things, i was tlaking to someone the other day who has a phobia of beards! and theres even a phobia called " fruitoftheloomophobia" which is a phobia of underwear!

Jen xxxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phobias can be of absolutely anything. Just matters what you attach the anxiety feeling to I think.

I have another phobia and it's of getting stung, you know like bees, wasps, hornets, etc. I'm so afraid I will jump out of a car if there's one in there. My parents were never tolerant of that one, they would get tired of me always running away from flies, etc. But it's like the emet, nature just takes over and I can't help it.

My therapist told me there's even a name for a fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth. I saw a talk show once where a woman had a fear of feet, and another woman had a fear of mushrooms. They seem silly, but we all know how real the fear is, don't we?

In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I love balloons. I am scared of them popping around me though. My dog loves balloons too. I blow them up and she pops them and I toss them to her and she tries to grab them and they bounce off her nose. Its really funny to watch.

Some fears are weird.

Yeah I think it is the popping I am afraid of[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]. I don't go anywhere where there are balloons that might pop. I think it is because I hate to be started. I have always had this fear too. I remember the kids laughing at me at a party because one of the games was pop the balloon by sitting on it to get the prizes. I wanted nothing to do with it. I sat on the couch with my eyes closed and my hands over my ears.

Yes I have to agree though phobias are odd.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I know someone who has a true, real life fear of buttons!! Its irrational and people tease her (i dont!)

As for balloons, well i think they were evil!!! I was out with my friends 1 year old. And i got a free balloon for her. Then she was chewing it so i held it for a while and it popped in my ear (sorry i know not what you wnna hear right?) anyway the little girl didnt cry or anything she just carried on, it was me that nearly wet myself!!!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mystikal star

I love balloons. I am scared of them popping around me though. My dog loves balloons too. I blow them up and she pops them and I toss them to her and she tries to grab them and they bounce off her nose. Its really funny to watch.

Some fears are weird.

LOL im sorry but i read that as "i'm scared of them pooping around me" and I just about fell off my chair from laughing at myself.I think I'm drinking too much caffine haha.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh