Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey all

So I'm freaked out, we had a pre cooked ham in the fridge that had been opened for a week and when I went to it tonight I thought that it smelled funny. It was a really weird smell but not right. My mum told me it was fine and so she ate some. She said it tasted fine until one bite which she said was funny and threw the rest away. Not being an emet she just carried on eating and she's very calm. She doesn't think it will make her sick.

I do. I don't want any reassurance from you guys that it won't but I need some help calming my anxiety in case the worst happens. I've got my mp3 player on standby, I washed my hands when I touched the meat and after and I also washed the surface. Is this enough?

I'm scared to do anything now b/c I just think she is going to be sick.

Edited by: hippychick
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Well, I don't think she will be sick, because ham is a cured meat and its so salted that it can last for weeks. My dad is still eating the ham from Christmas!! Please don't worry, how much did she eat?? And at least you know, if she does get sick, you won't catch it!! Do you have anywhere you can go for a little while? Maybe go shopping, or go grab a cup of coffee? That way you won't have to be there and you can get your mind off of it. Let us know what happens!!

Hey Hey :P

Well Hippy, if she does end up being ill then you can cope with it, get some head phones on and listen to youre fav music, read something and keep youre mind off of it as much as possible!

I know you can get through this, its happined in the house before and you were fine, no reason why you wont be again!

Put on the L word, or look at the pics and remember youre visit, anything that makes you smile and I am sure youre anxiety will calm down!

Im here/msn/phone, if you need me x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It doesn't matter when she opened the packet. It has a use by date but opening the packet doesn't mean it can't be eaten days or even a week later. Sometimes when i open a packet it has an oddsmell and that's when it's fresh.

My mom ate eggs and turkey sausage that was cooked and left out for HOURS on CHristmas morning...and she ate it three days later, and was fine, I was sure it would make her sick, but it didnt.
    I love Sam

Hey, if this makes you feel better: I am terrified of drinking milk, because it has made me v* before. So (typical emet) I always have someone "taste test" it for me if I get the rare urge to drink some. One time I asked my mom to test it for me because it really smelled sour (but to me, it always does). She took a sip of it and sort of licked her lips, then downed the whole glass, and then (after finishing it off) said "Yeah, it did taste kind of funny!" I really freaked out, and her reply?

"I don't have a 'weak constitution' like you!"

She didn't get sick. Ha!

I don't think your mom will, either.

My husband bought6 "fresh" bratwursts at our grocery store last week and grilled them up. He was making plates for the kids and took a bite of 1, it tasted funny, so he cut inot EACH one of the 6 and took a bite and swallowed it. Then he asked me to take a bite, I immediately spat it out--they had smelled fine,. but tasted ROTTEN. He ate 6 bites of these rotten things and didn't even get a tummy ache!

Just an update to say that she didn't get sick and thank you all for your support. I have no idea how she ever thought it wasn't bad as it smelled sooooo funky!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.