Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Dramamine?

Everyone seems to be talking alot about Dramamine lately. Is it better than Gravol? Does anyone know if it's available in Canada?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah I'm really intrigued by this dramamine thing. I didn't know it could prevent regular nausea. I thought it was only for sea-sick induced nausea.

Since I have been coming to this site I have started to use my Dramamine more for my nausea and it has worked wonders. I read the package and its more of a over the counter anti emet, I have even found a generic brand for half the cost. I would suggest having some on hand at all times.

It works very well and even though it says it is for n* and v* associated with motion sickness, it works just fine for fp* or sv*. All anti-emetics (the antihistamine variants rather its otc or by Rx) work the same way by supressing middle ear function. How it exactly works on n* & v* is a bit of a mystery but whay ask why? LOL!

It's also safe and not habit forming. The only thing is it makes you very sleepy (in some people nervous) do you do not want to drive while on it.

If you take it regulary, bake sure you take extra care in brushing your teeth. Sntihistamines decrease oral secreations with can lead to tooth decay.

Just a little tidbit of extra information there!

I trust it completely!

It's really great and I alsothought it was something only to be used for motion sickness. I found out about it from reading certain posts on here and I keep it with me always now. It definitely can make you drowsy but it's better to be drowsy than green.I went to my boyfriend's show in December and had severe n* after eating some nasty food-to the point where I went to my car and was gagging in a bag. I took a chance and took the Dramamine for the first time. I was nervous about it but wanted to see if it could help me--fast.After about 45 minutes to an hour ( meds take a long time to kick in with me), I was very drowsy with noooo n*-how I drove back home, I don't know but I tend to bereally strong and alert no matter what.I don't suggestdrivingafter taking it.It reallyspaces you out.I love that I have it now in case of any emergency.
    -Bridgette

Ok i am in the states and my SIL is a nurse in ALberta. She says that Gravol and Dramamine have the same ingredients. Gravol comes in different strengths....where Dramamine only comes in 25 mg pills.

i take the Original Dramamine...it is the only one that works.

I start out with 1 pill..then in 30 min if i am not feeling better...i take 1 more.

I haven't taken Dramamine for n* or anything, but I have found it works wonders for my anxiety and panic. It may be just "in my mind", but when I'm feeling particularly panicky I take one half of a tablet. It really calms me down without becoming really drowsy too. It really works amazing! But, I don't take it every day---just when I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack.

Still...........love this stuff!

Wow this is really interesting. I remember taking Dramamine while traveling in Thailand and it made me fall asleep FAST. I didn't know it had such great benefits as far as treating n*. I should get some of this stuff! I have been using tums in the meantime.

Talking about being afraid of taking medicines: can you believe I've been terrified of taking Dramamine my whole life because my mom once told me it would make me throw up? I even pretty much refused to take prescription meclazine until the skipper of a boat I was on forced all crew to take it or get off. How is that for fear? Fearing taking seasick medication for fear it would make me sick. Yeah, that's odd. But this information is very good to know AND reassuring.

I take it. FOr several uses: If I am having an uber panic attack, I'll take one. Within 20-30 mins I am much calmer and usually a little drowsy. I have taken 2 at oncew for severe n* and it has helped.

I made a post asking if they can be less effective if you take them too often, so I am trying not to take them unless I feel as though v* really may occur or my panic is out of control and no amount of breathing exercises helps.

how does dramamine compare with maxalon? are they the same kind of thing?
    Angles

Quote Originally Posted by katsamsmom3

Ok i am in the states and my SIL is a nurse in ALberta. She says that Gravol and Dramamine have the same ingredients. Gravol comes in different strengths....where Dramamine only comes in 25 mg pills.

i take the Original Dramamine...it is the only one that works.

I start out with 1 pill..then in 30 min if i am not feeling better...i take 1 more.

Very interesting, thank you!!

I know Gravol has been compared to something else that the US has and we don't. Maybe it was Dramamine, but I think it was something else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gravol and Dramamine are the same drug: Dimenhydrinate.

I always heard people talking about Gravol this, Gravol that, but I'd never heard of it. Finally I did a Google search and found out that it was simply the Canadian name for Dramamine.

I take Meclizine instead of Dramamine, it really calms me down. It does take up to an hour to really work though, but it makes me aLOT less drowsy than
    Dramamine. Sometimes I take just half to stay calm but alert.

BandNerd
    BandNerd