Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I recently today stumbled upon a company, ligocyte,that is very very close to having developed an effective norovirus vaccine to prevent many strains and lessen symtoms. Here's the web adress, tell me what you think: http://www.ligocyte.com/products/development.aspx

I've been waiting my entire life for that. I hope they can have it fully developed SOON. But, I don't want to be among the first to try it. I am afraid it could actually make me contract it.

I am SO excited about that. SO excited...I wish they would hurry up already!

looks like it's a "dead" virus (it is a virus shell with no RNA payload) so it can not make you ill.

If this company goes public, I'm bying a sh*tload of stock![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

yeah John haha, i agree, im also very excited about this, just goes to show, the very near future holds a preventive method [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Can you imagine?

OMG! To awesome for words. Can we e-mail or call anyone to find out WHEN this COULD be FDA approved for the public? If anyone has time--- please do. I have school all day, but I can try on my lunch break if no one else can investigate further. Thabks for the info. Maybe a promise to our future huh?

that would be absolutely amazing.

What a dream come true!!~prayerfully! [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]

Hi.
    It will be a dream and I hope that vaccine will be for all the world.

About rotavirus I know that in the USA there's a vaccine against it for the babies but in Europe no vaccine at all [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] Maybe question of months I hope.

That is the best news EVER!!!

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The web site says they will start Phase I testing in the 2nd quarter. This means they will be giving the drug to human guinea pigs in a hospital inpatient setting and monitoring them for side effects.

http://www.ligocyte.com/pdf/norovirus.pdf
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Can you imagine the positive impact this would have onquality of life, especially for an emet?! It can happen soon enough.

I think right now you may think it will help, but I don't think it will be all that effective against anxiety.

Not only are there other means of vomitting other than noro (obviously), but I'm sure then it will the be questions of:

- will the vaccine make me sick

- what if the vaccine doesn't work for me?

- what if the virus mutates so that the vaccine wouldn't work?

- what if people around me haven't got the vaccine and are sick?

Honestly, as it stands now many emets on this board haven't gotten a stomach virus for years, even decades and still fear it- even though they logically know that they have gone so long without getting it. I don't think this vaccine will make any difference in terms of anxiety, as in reality it really isn't norovirus or vomitting that is the problem.

I just think the question shouldn't be "how long is it until there is a vaccine", but "what can I do now to work on my anxiety problem".

*amber*

Excellent point, crimgoddess. It's like the birth control
    pill. You can't 100% relax even if you take it correctly!
    There is always a small chance of getting pregnant. With this
    vaccine, while it might help, I see it like a flu vaccine, where you
    could still contract it.

There's the possibility of over-vaccinating, where newer and stronger strains of a bug could emerge.

Now if they could come up with an effective anti-anxiety vaccine, where
    the patient would be guaranteed to not give a darn about the pesky
    things in life, like getting sick, now that would be great!

Well, Crimgoddess, I know for me, I have not a fear of V* but a fear of sv, so a control method will defenitely help my anxiety go down almost completely. If it lessons the prevelance of the virus, it will directly and proportionally lessen anxiety the same way it would lesson your anxiety taking you from a room with three sick people, into a steril room. Also, vaccines are composed of many many different dead viral particles that dont possess rna so they cannot multiply and make you sick. Secondly, the vaccine cant simply not effect you haha, your human, it will efect you almost exactly the same as anyone else. I'm a reasonable person, i only fear probable events, i fear sv this time of year because its probable with poor hygeine.Edited by: johnyricer

I am open to anything that could at least lessen the symptoms. I get the flu shot every year and while there is always a chance of me contracting the virus, my symptoms would not be as horrid as one who did not get the vaccine. I am hopeful that the new vaccine would possibly decrease the chances of my dtr getting sv. It is always horrible for children when they have it.

this is the best news that i have heard in a long time..i was just running around the house jumping for joy!!! yay!!! i hope it happens real soon!!!! it will not help anxiety 100% but for me personally, one of my biggest fears is getting the sv so i think it will help me out in a great way! thanks for such wonderful news!!!!![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Thanks, johnnyricer! That is very good news!
    -Bridgette

I have heard this as well and was very excited until I saw a news report. Of course, now I can't seem to find it. If anyone's interested, google John Fowler and norovirus vaccine. There is an on demand video news story about the vaccine. At the end of the story, the reporter said that "the vaccine is probably not for everyone, only those whowork in high risk settings likemilitary barracks or nursing homes. HELLO!!!!! I work in a school and I think it should count as a high risk setting. How many of us have seen schools being shut down because of an outbreak??? Plus, in order to stop the virus completely, doesn't everyone have to be innoculated? That would be the most marvelous thing in the world--a world without the threat of norovirus.

Excuse my ranting. I am very anxious these days because it seems like norovirus is all around me. Everyone I speak to seems to mention someone they know who came down with it. I worry every day that it will hit my house again. Last winter was miserable!! Anyway, anybody have any thoughts as to whetherthe medical communitycan actually restrict someone from getting vaccinated? The news report said that the vaccine should be available in 2-3 years. Not soon enough!!

May I ask, for those of you who have fears primarily of SV* only and
    not V* in general (or as strongly), what it is about the SV* that makes
    it different from other types of V* situations? I am very curious.

In response to Sheryl's question, the reason I personally fear an SV or food poisoning versus another form of vomiting--like morning sickness or motion sickness--is the violence and loss of control associated with an sv or food poisoning. Plus, usually with a virus or food poisoning, you also have d*--sometimes simultaneously. You feel feverish, dizzy, sometimes you're also in pain too from muscle aches. It's mercifully usually relatively brief (a day long thing) but it's such misery while it's happening, it's hard tocomfort yourself that an end is in sight.

Other types of nausea and vomiting--like morning or motion sickness--also not fun and miserable too, but if I had to take my pick between experiencing that or an sv, I'd pick morning sickness or motion sickness any day. Sometimes (not all the time) you can put mind over matter or help yourself in some fashion with the latter. With an sv, your helpless. You just have to ride it out.

thank you ccookie...here's the link for the video

http://www.ktvu.com/video/10513482/index.html

that last part is upsetting to me....what if it's not available to the public?...hmm maybe i'll join the army..lol...but seriously, i would be the first in line to have my kids vaccinated, that's the worst part of this fear is my kids getting sick!
    ~Sheri~

Thanks Sheri for the link. I don't know why my computer wouldn't find it. I agree about getting the kids vaccinated. I would absolutelybring my daughter for one. If they've approved vaccination for rotovirus (at least in the US) why would they not encourage the general public to do the same for noro?? Isn't that strange? Is it an economic thing? My goodness, with as much media coverage that we've had about outbreaks, you would think the health department would make it a top priority. The insurance companies would save loads on all the reduced hospital/doctor visits! I may join the army too! LOL

You would think they would make it available to kids.....they spread everything!!

I think it is very exciting!!! I'll be a guniea pig!!